Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Brillant result in Omagh. Another win next week and we shoulf be safe i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

What was the score up north lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Waterford 10-2 cork h time.
    Cork physically being blown away first half.It will take sum turnaround to win this even with the breeze.

...eh? It was always going to be close, 8 points was the minimum Waterford needed to be ahead by with that wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

beeroclock wrote: »
    What was the score up north lads?

8-14 .I could hardly believe it when i heard it.It was the manner of the win which though,most pleasing,Cork were always in control,it did not take 2 late goals like last week.
    Cork by match reports seemed to play with a blanket defense,9 defenders.
    At last there seems to be a sea of change with tactics.If you cant beat the system you may as well join it.They werent as predicatable as before.
    Good signs,and Donegal next week be a further test.
    In the context of kerry loosing and Down winning last night that was a huge win.
    Ciaran Sheehan went off early with a shoulder injury.Hopefully he will be okay.
    I have criticised CC tactics on many a game.Today he seems to have got it right.Credit due but I won't get carried away and say he mastered them just yet after one game,there will be many other tests,but that is a good win in Omagh,a hard place to get anything.
    Aidan walsh was meant to have been superb with Colm O Neill who at last got ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

8-14 .I could hardly believe it when i heard it.It was the manner of the win which though,most pleasing,Cork were always in control,it did not take 2 late goals like last week.
    Cork by match reports seemed to play with a blanket defense,9 defenders.
    At last there seems to be a sea of change with tactics.If you cant beat the system you may as well join it.They werent as predicatable as before.
    Good signs,and Donegal next week be a further test.
    In the context of kerry loosing and Down winning last night that was a huge win.
    Ciaran Sheehan went off early with a shoulder injury.Hopefully he will be okay.
    I have criticised CC tactics on many a game.Today he seems to have got it right.Credit due but I won't get carried away and say he mastered them just yet after one game,there will be many other tests,but that is a good win in Omagh,a hard place to get anything.
    Aidan walsh was meant to have been superb with Colm O Neill who at last got ball.

Cheers for the update

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Very true - but the breeze down there on a day like this is a huge factor.
    I expect Cork to drive on in the second half ( and win:eek:)
    jesus you were nearly right.
    Yeah the breeze was a huge factor but still 8 points is a bridge too far away from home in those conditions.
    Cork have always struggled to get anything in Waterford.
    Delighted with the draw from staring defeat in the face,and the fact that was a very young cork team in the central spine of the team,compared to waterford with so much expierence in key positions.
    Cork never panicked,that game will do wonders for confidence.There seems to be new leaders developing in the team.
    That draw considering there were playing in conditions,even ducks would feel out of place in,will do more for the team than the Tippereary game will ever do.
    We all know Cork can win in open games ,sun on their backs,free flowing hurling.Today when cork had to earn every score and survive in conditions not suited to hurling,shows at last that they are beginning to compete in terms of intensity and physicality based on the second half.
    It showed a new side to us.
    To score only 2 points even against the wind is poor for the ist half,and something that needs to be addressed.Waterford managed 5 against the wind.
    Tipp beating Kilkenny showed they never turned up against us and today was a true test.
    Clare next week,after a good win against Galway be another good test.Fingers crossed for a dry eveining.Thats a must win game with away trips to Galway and Kilkenny.Cork have only hurled for one half in the last two games,they will have to start hurling for a lot longer.
    Stephen moylan got a goal today,at least were starting to have more than one goal threat.Peter O brien battled all day and got a vital point too.Whether or not he is the answer at 14 time will tell,but he is much better than Cussen.Today proved that.
    Good day for Cork all round,hopefully the U21 footballers can add to this on Wednesday night.With Kerry strugling at the moment,it be great to beat them at underage and not give them any hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

jesus you were nearly right.
    Yeah the breeze was a huge factor but still 8 points is a bridge too far away from home in those conditions.
    Cork have always struggled to get anything in Waterford.
    Delighted with the draw from staring defeat in the face,and the fact that was a very young cork team in the central spine of the team,compared to waterford with so much expierence in key positions.
    Cork never panicked,that game will do wonders for confidence.There seems to be new leaders developing in the team.
    That draw considering there were playing in conditions,even ducks would feel out of place in,will do more for the team than the Tippereary game will ever do.
    We all know Cork can win in open games ,sun on their backs,free flowing hurling.Today when cork had to earn every score and survive in conditions not suited to hurling,shows at last that they are beginning to compete in terms of intensity and physicality based on the second half.
    It showed a new side to us.
    To score only 2 points even against the wind is poor for the ist half,and something that needs to be addressed.Waterford managed 5 against the wind.
    Tipp beating Kilkenny showed they never turned up against us and today was a true test.
    Clare next week,after a good win against Galway be another good test.Fingers crossed for a dry eveining.Thats a must win game with away trips to Galway and Kilkenny.Cork have only hurled for one half in the last two games,they will have to start hurling for a lot longer.
    Stephen moylan got a goal today,at least were starting to have more than one goal threat.Peter O brien battled all day and got a vital point too.Whether or not he is the answer at 14 time will tell,but he is much better than Cussen.Today proved that.
    Good day for Cork all round,hopefully the U21 footballers can add to this on Wednesday night.With Kerry strugling at the moment,it be great to beat them at underage and not give them any hope.

I don't think you can read too much into what happened today. They did very well to come back, but conditions were a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Good weekend for you guys overall.

Interesting to hear about the footballers employing blanket defence. By rights it should quit ye to turnover where possible and then break, plenty of pace in the side to make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

A great day for Cork GAA. The hurlers showed great determination to comeback from 8 points down at HT to get a draw with Waterford. I said last week the lucky win above in Newry might spur on Cork footballers and lo and behold a great performance by them today and also a change of tactics by the team,obviously Counihan reads the posts on here:D!

I don't think you can read too much into what happened today. They did very well to come back, but conditions were a disaster.
    I think today often tells more about a team than any other game bar Kilkenny and Galway.
    I said after tipp not to read too much in to it.That was proven as the real tipp showed up against Kilkenny.
    Today i think was a great test.As u said conditions were appauling.How the game went ahead even is questionable.
    I said at half time their was no way we could win ,Cork were in big trouble.Are cork any good in a dogfight outside their comfort zone of open hurling matches in a dry ptich.?.Can they earn the right to score?.These guys can all score in space and are fine tappy hurlers and very fast when given time and space.I wondered myself .The second half answered all those questions,the odds were hugely stacked against Cork,even with the wind.Waterford in the first wind or no wind were winning most 50-50 balls.

The fact Cork did not fall away like last year when things were not going well, and had the belief to stick with,shows a steel and belief is building in the team to ride out storms.
    Today i think this draw in those conditions is far better for the team than beating tippereary down in Cork.Playing in swamp conditions,bitterly cold as well,a tight ptich,with a big home crowd,8 points down the Cork team of last year would have not have comeback.Today was heavy going in testing conditions,a racehourse would have even struggled in that ground.Cork will take a lot from today.
    Yes there is a lot of work to be done but i felt today would be a true test of Cork.Backs to the wall in the second half with a vastly inexpierenced team compared to waterford,Cork passed that test.In the first half Cork were poor,the second half they stood up and were counted.

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Good weekend for you guys overall.

Interesting to hear about the footballers employing blanket defence. By rights it should quit ye to turnover where possible and then break, plenty of pace in the side to make it work
    exactly and at least we have a plan B.
    If you cant beat the system you may as well join it.
    Today was only game though,Donegal be the litmus test next week.Beaten in the last 2 games by them we got to beat them next week and stop that run.

Orizio wrote: »

...eh? It was always going to be close, 8 points was the minimum Waterford needed to be ahead by with that wind.
    The wind was a factor no doubt,but waterford managed even 5 points against it.2 points even against that wind is a poor return.That made it extremely hard to get a win out of the game being 8 down.
    The Cork forwards werent winning any ball the ist half.Waterford were blowing them out of it.
    The second half you could not have faulted or asked any more of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Treble20 wrote: »
    A great day for Cork GAA. The hurlers showed great determination to comeback from 8 points down at HT to get a draw with Waterford. I said last week the lucky win above in Newry might spur on Cork footballers and lo and behold a great performance by them today and also a change of tactics by the team,obviously Counihan reads the posts on here:D!

:pac:....if he does, he's a bit on the slow side, I've been saying for the last 2 years:pac:

ShamoBuc wrote: »

:pac:....if he does, he's a bit on the slow side, I've been saying for the last 2 years:pac:
    the penney finally dropped i hope.
    The difference quality ball makes is clear as day.Last week against Down not one of the full forwards scored from play.Today all 3 scored.The full forward line got half of all corks scores from play today.There is more in that line but at least finally there getting ball to do what they do best,score.
    The talent of forwards cork have is endless.And there is more coming through from underage.They can only score if they get good ball though.
    At long last today was signs they may get more good quailty ball.Donegal will tell us a lot more come Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

the penney finally dropped i hope.
    The difference quality ball makes is clear as day.Last week against Down not one of the full forwards scored from play.Today all 3 scored.The full forward line got half of all corks scores from play today.There is more in that line but at least finally there getting ball to do what they do best,score.
    The talent of forwards cork have is endless.And there is more coming through from underage.They can only score if they get good ball though.
    At long last today was signs they may get more good quailty ball.Donegal will tell us a lot more come Saturday.

I'd have to question this, Ciaran Sheehan started yesterday with a shoulder strapped up and he came off now likely to be out for a few months. Who did they bring on? Donncha O'Connor and anyone at it could see clear as day he wasnt right, spent most of the second half on the ground or hobbling, if he was a horse he'd be put down. Still didnt come off until last minute and they brought on andrew o'sullivan(a midfielder) no paddy kelly, no daniel goulding. This is possibly a management issue, in that they havent brought along enough other forwards, but this was worrying to see us risking injured players in early march for the league.

Deco99 wrote: »

I'd have to question this, Ciaran Sheehan started yesterday with a shoulder strapped up and he came off now likely to be out for a few months. Who did they bring on? Donncha O'Connor and anyone at it could see clear as day he wasnt right, spent most of the second half on the ground or hobbling, if he was a horse he'd be put down. Still didnt come off until last minute and they brought on andrew o'sullivan(a midfielder) no paddy kelly, no daniel goulding. This is possibly a management issue, in that they havent brought along enough other forwards, but this was worrying to see us risking injured players in early march for the league.
    Im a big CC critic at times but hes hands were tied yesterday,he had limited options.
    The U21s are playing wed night ,John o rourke is involved with them.He started 2 league games for Cork.Goulding and kelly still injured so the options are bare are the moment.
    Brian hurley and alan cadogan are involved with the U21s and are two promising talented forwards.The talent is there.
    Kevin hallisey and Dan mac Eoin,while inconsistent at times have the talent.There all with the U21 team for wednesday night.
    Youre right,there is no guarantee CC would play them but the talent is there.

...Sheehan is out for 3 months? He is irreplaceable.

The wind was a factor no doubt,but waterford managed even 5 points against it.2 points even against that wind is a poor return.

Except that the wind died off a little in the second half and the conditions underfoot were worse for us then they were for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

A great day for Cork GAA. The hurlers showed great determination to comeback from 8 points down at HT to get a draw with Waterford.:D!

My OH My! How times have changed for the once mighty Cork.Calling it a 'great day for Cok GAA' when ye manage a draw with Waterford!
    At least in Tipp we still have our pride and regard anything other than victory as a failure.

The Cork U21 team for Wednesday against Kerry is
    1.David Hanarahan Douglas
    2.Brian O Driscoll T.Mactaraigh
    3.Conor Dorman Bishopstown
    4.Alan Cronin Nemo Rangers
    5.TJ Brosnan Newmarket
    6.Tom Clancy Fermoy
    7.Jamie Wall Kilbrittain
    8.Damien Cahalane Castlehaven Captain
    9.Ian Maguire St Finbarrs
    10.Alan Cadogan Douglas
    11.Mark Sugrue Bandon
    12.John O Rourke Carbery Rangers
    13.Brian Hurley Castlehaven
    14.Luke Connolly Nemo Rangers
    15.Dan MacEoin Illen Rovers
    Subs
    16.Pat Kirby T.Mactaraigh
    17.Connor Sullivan Clyda Rovers
    18.Kevin Crowley Milstreet
    19.Kevin Fulnagatti Nemo Rangers
    20.Sean Kiely Ballincollig
    21.Kevin Halissey Eire Og
    22.Cathal Vaughan Iveleary
    23.Tom Hegarty O Donovan Rossa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

My OH My! How times have changed for the once mighty Cork.Calling it a 'great day for Cok GAA' when ye manage a draw with Waterford!
    At least in Tipp we still have our pride and regard anything other than victory as a failure.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Do you know lala? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Go fish

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Get a life will you!

...Sheehan is out for 3 months? He is irreplaceable.
    Not that bad thankfully,he is meant to have damaged hes Ac Joint in he's shoulder, and out for 4-6 weeks.If Cork made the League final he'd be back and would also have a slim chance of a league semifinal.
    More importantly he will be back in plenty of time for Kerry in the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Rebels fear Sheehan will miss rest of league

Wednesday, March 13, 2013
    By Denis Hurley
    Cork forward Ciarán Sheehan will miss the next four weeks of theAllianz Football League Division 1 campaign after a scan revealeda tear to the acromioclavicular (AC) joint in his shoulder.
    Sheehan was forced off after suffering the injury in the first-half of last Sunday’s victory over Tyrone.

While Cork selector Ronan McCarthy admits the loss is something they could have done without, the news is tempered by the fact that his clubmate Daniel Goulding (pictured) is due to return from knee surgery soon.

However, Donncha O’Connor is a doubt for Saturday’s home game with All-Ireland champions Donegal.

“Daniel Goulding is due to return very soon, he has done almost two full weeks of training and has also played in a challenge match against the U21s and also a game for his club.

“I don’t know if Saturday will come too soon for him, he certainly won’t be starting but he could be on the bench, Conor will talk to Colin Lane, the physio.

“Donncha would be a doubt, he has had Achilles trouble for the last couple of weeks. He’ll train again on Thursday and we’ll see how he is then.”

I would like to point out that our neighbours are not risking any injured players and are resting them. As a result their league is over and they might be relegated. But do we think they care?

I'd be worried if Donncha and/or Goulding lined out on Saturday, highly unnecessary i feel, other fellas must be given chance to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Get a life will you!

?:cool:

Deco99 wrote: »
    Rebels fear Sheehan will miss rest of league

Wednesday, March 13, 2013
    By Denis Hurley
    Cork forward Ciarán Sheehan will miss the next four weeks of theAllianz Football League Division 1 campaign after a scan revealeda tear to the acromioclavicular (AC) joint in his shoulder.
    Sheehan was forced off after suffering the injury in the first-half of last Sunday’s victory over Tyrone.

While Cork selector Ronan McCarthy admits the loss is something they could have done without, the news is tempered by the fact that his clubmate Daniel Goulding (pictured) is due to return from knee surgery soon.

However, Donncha O’Connor is a doubt for Saturday’s home game with All-Ireland champions Donegal.

“Daniel Goulding is due to return very soon, he has done almost two full weeks of training and has also played in a challenge match against the U21s and also a game for his club.

“I don’t know if Saturday will come too soon for him, he certainly won’t be starting but he could be on the bench, Conor will talk to Colin Lane, the physio.

“Donncha would be a doubt, he has had Achilles trouble for the last couple of weeks. He’ll train again on Thursday and we’ll see how he is then.”

I would like to point out that our neighbours are not risking any injured players and are resting them. As a result their league is over and they might be relegated. But do we think they care?

I'd be worried if Donncha and/or Goulding lined out on Saturday, highly unnecessary i feel, other fellas must be given chance to step up.
    Thats all true but the Cork forwards replacements that are likely to be tried out are all tied up with the U21s and will be for some time if Cork win tonight.If Cork win chances are they will play a strong Tippereary team at some stage,and if we do manage to win Munster,then we play the Ulster Champions in a semifinal.
    All big games,Cleary wont release any players and until Cork are out,and rightly so.
    If Cork are missing Kelly,Sheehan,and Doc and add the U21 players our options are bare.If Doc is injured he should not play but Id have no problem with Goulding playing a part.He is back training.If Dr.Con says hes fit to play he will be fine.Goulding needs game time.
    Donegal is a must win.Im not bothered if Cork make the League playoffs,but it is vital we don't loose 3 in a row to Donegal.
    The U21 game tonight should be close.We should edge it but you can never rule kerry out.The bookies have it a one point game.
    Anyone not able to make it,103 fm are doing live Commentary.Kerry radio normally do these games as well.

Ft Cork 0-14 v Kerry 2-7

Great win for Cork. Kerry got 2 softish goals - bad defending - to keep them in it in the first half. Kerry had alot of possession, especially in the last 15 mins - Corks midfield disappeared - and they were well on top - but we got over the line with an injury time point from Seán Kiely :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Relying on the radio. Such a balls. That final point sounded like a beauty. Good win, particularly holding it together toward the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement