Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Kanturk 1-4 glanworth1-8 start 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Yes I haven't a clue about football unlike a great man like yourself :rolleyes: Perhaps he has been a victim of hype and as you say being played out of position, but I like my footballers who can actually kick the ball, I guess we will see next year whether it was Counihan or Walsh's limitations that are to blame, I'll keep an open mind, something you seem incapable of, much like your ability to compose a coherent sentence ;)

Where is Cashel GAA pitch ? Its on no map I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Just saw that Glanworth won by 5 points, 2-11 to 2-6. They seem to have changed the Cork GAA website and no longer have a link to live GAA scores

Glanworth 2-11 kanturk 2-5 full time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Boots234 wrote: »
    Just saw that Glanworth won by 5 points, 2-11 to 2-6. They seem to have changed the Cork GAA website and no longer have a link to live GAA scores

Its still there alright but not linked up as a box on home page

http://www.gaacork.ie/contentPage/55807/live_match_updates

• Advertisement

Out the clonmel road as far i am aware.

Boots234 wrote: »
    Good game,on dry night,rain stayed away for most of it after it starting at start of the game.Bitterely cold,but a great crowd at it.

Kanturk dominated the 1st 15,, only 2 points up,glanworth got a great goal after a poor pass across the goal by john mcloughlin i think,david sheehan finished well.

Kanturk looked tired never got in to it,got a good goal in ist half,browne ,after walsh made a good run.

He was at the heart of all kanturks good play ,but they were outplayed by a good organised glanworth tean.Nash and mcloughlin didn'tget much ball inside and were well marked.

o driscoll who got a goal,pyne and gallagher ,and finn were very good for glanworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Been years since I was there but I was going to say the Clonmel road as well

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Been years since I was there but I was going to say the Clonmel road as well
    Me too but i think its their.
    A strange choice as venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Kieran Kingston of Douglas/Tracton has been promoted to Cork senior hurling coach, replacing Ger Cunningham who "stepped aside" after failing to get the Limerick managers job

• Advertisement

Mallow doing well the last two weeks,with Sean Og their last week signing autographs,and Conor lehane and Lorchan Mcloughlin their this Saturday doing likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Apologies Willie only seen this now, yes as thinkstoomuch says its out the old Clonmel road about half a mile out from the town, just go down to the very bottom of the town and swing a right, Leahy Park I think is the name of the grounds.

Cuthbert recruits ex-Aussie Rules coach
    14 November 2013

Former Adelaide Crows strength and conditioning coach Ainle O Caireallain will train the Cork footballers next year.

O Caireallain joins new manager Brian Cuthbert's backroom team after working with the AFL club in 2006. He has been strength and conditioning coach with the Na Piarsaigh club in Cork city for the past four years.

A tutor at Setanta College in Thurles, he has extensive experience in training a range of athletes from triathletes, runners and team sport athletes.

Kenneth Fizgerald is out for Clyda Rovers on Sunday.
    He is a big loss at midfield after a good county final.

O farell is meant to be a doubt for Midelton.A massive loss,if he is,a huge burden on Lehane again,as Bud Hartnett doesn't look up to sharing the burden,and Ryan an O'Shea are more ballwinning than actual scorers,you would know their half backs more than forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 riskyOz

Kenneth Fizgerald is out for Clyda Rovers on Sunday.
    He is a big loss at midfield after a good county final.

O farell is meant to be a doubt for Midelton.A massive loss,if he is,a huge burden on Lehane again,as Bud Hartnett doesn't look up to sharing the burden,and Ryan an O'Shea are more ballwinning than actual scorers,you would know their half backs more than forwards.

Luke O'Farrell has cancelled a trip to Asia to play on Sunday. Big boost for Midleton

riskyOz wrote: »
    Luke O'Farrell has cancelled a trip to Asia to play on Sunday. Big boost for Midleton

Great news ,i heard they werent sure if he was free.

They need him to take the pressure of lehane as have no doubt ,the Bridge will have a plan to mark him.Morey seems certain to mark him,either brother,probably Seadna though.

Lehane was quiet by he's own standards saturday night,but to get four from play,9 in total,is no bad return when your below your best.Cormac Murphy done a super job to be fair to hold him scorless from play in the ist half.

Midelton CBS all set for Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

Great news ,i heard they werent sure if he was free.

They need him to take the pressure of lehane as have no doubt ,the Bridge will have a plan to mark him.Morey seems certain to mark him,either brother,probably Seadna though.

Lehane was quiet by he's own standards saturday night,but to get four from play,9 in total,is no bad return when your below your best.Cormac Murphy done a super job to be fair to hold him scorless from play in the ist half.

Midelton CBS all set for Saturday?

Seadnas brother is Danny , corner forward, not a hope Danny will be near Lehane. Seadna will probably pick up Lehane.

sasol wrote: »
    Seadnas brother is Danny , corner forward, not a hope Danny will be near Lehane. Seadna will probably pick up Lehane.

Is their another morey in defence ,must be the cousin.?

Is their another morey in defence ,must be the cousin.?

Caimin Morey will be wing or centre back. A cousin. Fine hurler but wouldn't have the pace for Lehane

Caimin Morey will be wing or centre back. A cousin. Fine hurler but wouldn't have the pace for Lehane
    Would quilligan mark him,or will he hold the centre.?

Shane golden,a clare minor and u21?a fine player.Ye dont seem to have much up front,bar Gilligan at 37,credit to him for playing,but he can't be relying on pace.

Having said that ,he's main strength,he's physique and he's expierence at full forward is what Midelton lack at full back.

Alywun kearney i think they may put him in their,but he isnt much better than o mahony. Jamie nagle should go in their ,drop o shea back to half back and start cormac walsh.At least they would have a physical presence,cause if they do get past sunday,they will definetly need it against Kevin Downes.

That won't happen though.

• Advertisement

Would quilligan mark him,or will he hold the centre.?

Shane golden,a clare minor and u21?a fine player.Ye dont seem to have much up front,bar Gilligan at 37,credit to him for playing,but he can't be relying on pace.

Having said that ,he's main strength,he's physique and he's expierence at full forward is what Midelton lack at full back.

Alywun kearney i think they may put him in their,but he isnt much better than o mahony. Jamie nagle should go in their ,drop o shea back to half back and start cormac walsh.At least they would have a physical presence,cause if they do get past sunday,they will definetly need it against Kevin Downes.

That won't happen though.

Quilligan can play anywhere in the backs. I think he will hold centre. A lot of the bridge backs are interchangeable .

Gilligan is 37 and is still the main man up front. Golden is a fine hurler and Jamie shanahan is only 19 but has big potential.

The bridge are physically strong but might be lacking a bit of pace.

Quilligan can play anywhere in the backs. I think he will hold centre. A lot of the bridge backs are interchangeable .

Gilligan is 37 and is still the main man up front. Golden is a fine hurler and Jamie shanahan is only 19 but has big potential.

The bridge are physically strong but might be lacking a bit of pace.

Midelton are big favourites,and i find that strange to be honest.

Against bishoptown and sars ,he got 1-13 and two ten,and a lot of the onus is on him up front.Against na piarsaigh,the other forwards did help him,but sunday they need more a lot more.

Hartnett and o farell are living of reputation and hype,particulary hartnett.O farell in fairness stood up in the last 15 minutes the last day.He has the talent ,but he must up the work rate,and really push on a level,and he must do it at club if hes to have any chance at doing what we know he can do for cork,as the comfort zone in cork forwards of practially being guaranteed a starting six ,like it was last year ,is long gone.

Theirs up to ten players ,going for six places for cork,up front and no harm at all,set up real competition.

Those ten forwards dont include cussen,naughton,bud,and you could include cian mccarthy which shows the real depth we have compared to last year.

Lehane may have a good game and still only get four or five from play sunday,as i have no doubt now were outside cork,that their will be a plan to halt lehane,and teams wont allow both man and ball to pass.

It is wrong to see cyncism,but lets be frank,every good team does it and will play with an edge,and its fair to assume he will be a marked man.

Lehane is unplayable in top form,but he wont be allowed get high scores against top teams.Thats why o farell and bud,must step up,as their is an advanatage to lehane being wached,their is space for the other forwards.

The problem is Ryan and o shea,are not good enough to rack up big scores,and a lot of their good work is done without the ball in their hand.

They remind of Limerick,a half forward line built around hard work,grafters,and ball winning,with two main men to score .

Unlike limerick they dont have a downes or dowling on the bench.

Limerick were found out when taken outside their comfort zone.Mideton should not be foolish and i hope they do not believe dont fix whats nots broken.

They can win sunday,and have a chance of a munster title,what they must do is make brave calls,and realise that lehanes masterclass in two games was a big factor that got them home ,but their are big weaknessess at full back and half forward.

Cormac walsh should start as he can score.Keep ryan ,up their,fair enough,but him and o shea are too alike and one dimenshoal.O shea is a fine hurler,a top centre back at minor for Cork, but a half forward he is not.

Sunday could very well be won or lost on the line,if the bridge limit lehane.

Midelton defence apart from full back is good,killan burke another in the long line of top cork corner backs,loads of pace and hurling so much so he played midfield,saturday night for the u21s.Loves to attack the ball,and a lovely tidy hurler.Has the talent for cork,but probably won't make it,due to so many top corner backs ahead of him.

Finbarr o mahony is a fine half back,with patrick o mahony a top class corner back.

And jamie nagle is superb,real cut and agression,and knows when to put the shoulder in.I expect a recall to the cork team.

Dowling at midfield is honest,hard working,and like any kilkenny hurler,does the basics well.He has great expierence from winning club title in kilkenny.

Haughney always had the touch and hurling,what he lacked was application and the fight to win dirty ball.
    He has done well in the last two games,but i was a critic of him in the past,and we will need to seen him do it outside munster to see has he the potential for Cork,or is he just a solid club hurler.

Im raging ,i wont get to this game,going to the football instead.

Midelton are big favourites,and i find that strange to be honest.

Against bishoptown and sars ,he got 1-13 and two ten,and a lot of the onus is on him up front.Against na piarsaigh,the other forwards did help him,but sunday they need more a lot more.

Hartnett and o farell are living of reputation and hype,particulary hartnett.O farell in fairness stood up in the last 15 minutes the last day.He has the talent ,but he must up the work rate,and really push on a level,and he must do it at club if hes to have any chance at doing what we know he can do for cork,as the comfort zone in cork forwards of practially being guaranteed a starting six ,like it was last year ,is long gone.

Theirs up to ten players ,going for six places for cork,up front and no harm at all,set up real competition.

Those ten forwards dont include cussen,naughton,bud,and you could include cian mccarthy which shows the real depth we have compared to last year.

Lehane may have a good game and still only get four or five from play sunday,as i have no doubt now were outside cork,that their will be a plan to halt lehane,and teams wont allow both man and ball to pass.

It is wrong to see cyncism,but lets be frank,every good team does it and will play with an edge,and its fair to assume he will be a marked man.

Lehane is unplayable in top form,but he wont be allowed get high scores against top teams.Thats why o farell and bud,must step up,as their is an advanatage to lehane being wached,their is space for the other forwards.

The problem is Ryan and o shea,are not good enough to rack up big scores,and a lot of their good work is done without the ball in their hand.

They remind of Limerick,a half forward line built around hard work,grafters,and ball winning,with two main men to score .

Unlike limerick they dont have a downes or dowling on the bench.

Limerick were found out when taken outside their comfort zone.Mideton should not be foolish and i hope they do not believe dont fix whats nots broken.

They can win sunday,and have a chance of a munster title,what they must do is make brave calls,and realise that lehanes masterclass in two games was a big factor that got them home ,but their are big weaknessess at full back and half forward.

Cormac walsh should start as he can score.Keep ryan ,up their,fair enough,but him and o shea are too alike and one dimenshoal.O shea is a fine hurler,a top centre back at minor for Cork, but a half forward he is not.

Sunday could very well be won or lost on the line,if the bridge limit lehane.

Midelton defence apart from full back is good,killan burke another in the long line of top cork corner backs,loads of pace and hurling so much so he played midfield,saturday night for the u21s.Loves to attack the ball,and a lovely tidy hurler.Has the talent for cork,but probably won't make it,due to so many top corner backs ahead of him.

Finbarr o mahony is a fine half back,with patrick o mahony a top class corner back.

And jamie nagle is superb,real cut and agression,and knows when to put the shoulder in.I expect a recall to the cork team.

Dowling at midfield is honest,hard working,and like any kilkenny hurler,does the basics well.He has great expierence from winning club title in kilkenny.

Haughney always had the touch and hurling,what he lacked was application and the fight to win dirty ball.
    He has done well in the last two games,but i was a critic of him in the past,and we will need to seen him do it outside munster to see has he the potential for Cork,or is he just a solid club hurler.

Im raging ,i wont get to this game,going to the football instead.

I don't know a lot about Midleton, but they would appear to be nearly as reliant on Lehane up front as sixmielbridge are on Gilligan. The thing is, if Lehane is kept quiet then Farrell or Hartnett could easily step up to the mark. I am not sure who Sixmilebridge would have to fill Gilligans shoes if he is held or has an off day. Gilligan was missing for the first round of championship in Clare and Sixmilebridge lost.

I wouldn't agree with you in relation to the strength in depth for Corks forwards. I think ye are missing one or two top class forwards. Even this year at intercounty level, lads like Farrell, Coughlan, McCarthy have produced very little to strike fear into the opposition. Lehane produced some sparkles of what he is capable of but needs to be more consistent. Cronin did very little for a lot of the year. I think you are over-rating ye're forwards.

Interesting that you mention Midleton are weak at full back. That is the one position that Sixmilebridge will be well equiped to take advantage of.

I don't know a lot about Midleton, but they would appear to be nearly as reliant on Lehane up front as sixmielbridge are on Gilligan. The thing is, if Lehane is kept quiet then Farrell or Hartnett could easily step up to the mark. I am not sure who Sixmilebridge would have to fill Gilligans shoes if he is held or has an off day. Gilligan was missing for the first round of championship in Clare and Sixmilebridge lost.

I wouldn't agree with you in relation to the strength in depth for Corks forwards. I think ye are missing one or two top class forwards. Even this year at intercounty level, lads like Farrell, Coughlan, McCarthy have produced very little to strike fear into the opposition. Lehane produced some sparkles of what he is capable of but needs to be more consistent. Cronin did very little for a lot of the year. I think you are over-rating ye're forwards.

Interesting that you mention Midleton are weak at full back. That is the one position that Sixmilebridge will be well equiped to take advantage of.

Cian macarthy,i dont rate ,is i said not in the top ten.
    Cronin suffered a very bad bout of penoumina all summer,still done better than anyone else against mclirney in the replay.

Coughlan had no legaue games after a hip operation, had missed six months to injury,done okay,should of being used against clare,is 21 only,he is up to it.

Walsh is going to be great,and paudie sul gives cork options we didnt have last year.How good the six and what they will be and how the right balance is found remains to be seen, but were much much stronger than last year and wont have to carry passengers on the line.
    Alan cadogan is a super talent ,and we have serious competiton up front.

Cussen,cian mac,naughton and bud we dont need.

Yes midelton need a physical presence in the full back lime to compliment the fine hurlers they have in that line.

Dowling should win hes share of ball at midfield,so midelton should have ball to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Ray Carey and John Hayes back in the cork football squad.
    Full squad here. http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ray-carey-john-hayes-cork-1177217-Nov2013/?utm_source=shortlink
    John mcloughlin is included as is Alan cadogan and Finbarr's eoin Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭lukin

Horse84 wrote: »
    Ray Carey and John Hayes back in the cork football squad.
    Full squad here. http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ray-carey-john-hayes-cork-1177217-Nov2013/?utm_source=shortlink
    John mcloughlin is included as is Alan cadogan and Finbarr's eoin Keane

Pfft, Cuthbert is really scraping the barrel now because of the guys that have retired and Sheehan's departure. I am not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cadogan and Keane were on the Hurling squad, not sure if that has changed.

lukin wrote: »
    Pfft, Cuthbert is really scraping the barrel now because of the guys that have retired and Sheehan's departure. I am not impressed.
    Hes scraping the barrel out of choice,you pick from the top down,but he hasnt.
    Their are far better players in cork than seven he picked.

Woeful ,and this is another marker that we are heading for a dissaster.This is a real eye opener and already we have got two early signs that he is out of hes depth as coach,the management,bar the physical trainer have no expierence and now hes picked players oblivous to fast movement,spacial awarness,creativity,and real pace in picking alan o connor,john hayes(counihan didnt rate him,says it all)butcher o sullivan,ray carey ,and sheehan of dohenys.

This as awful,lets call a spade a spade.Rory deane,rory sullivan,david gould,sean kiely,jamie wall,michael o laoire must be tearing their hair out,way better underage pedigree,than the guys picked and better club form.

Dorman,driscoll,hodnett,maceoin ,maguire,vauhan deserve to be there.

Mark sugrue should be their and fiactra lynch better than hayes,a midfield option.

I said cleary when cuthbhert named management set up,their was dark days ahead,this just adds to my belief we are going backwards than forwards,and the worse is still to come,this manager will get a second term.

Alan cadogan is another dual player,and no way will it work ,unlike walsh,cadogan will play dual for under u21 ,senior cork teams and u21 for club in football and hurling as well as senior.

All hes talk about moving the ball fast ,is just hot air,the panel he picked indicates its more of counihan methodical slow laboured game,with just a sliht change in style,only 60 hand passes compared to 99 in the ist half of a game.

People thought,i was too negative too early,but this panel proved today that management set up is so inexpierenced and off whats required.

Its easy to see why cleary was the players choice ,and at least james o donovan would have been involved.

Orizio wrote: »
    Cadogan and Keane were on the Hurling squad, not sure if that has changed.
    I Forgot bout keane,no way he is remoltely related to an intercounty player.

Hurling,maybee,just may be a push could be made for him,as he was injured,for the hurling,as we need to try players at full back,but for football is a poor choice.
    John mcloughlin is poor,no pace for this level.Even wednesday night,pierre odriscoll burned him,not once,not twice,but several times.

This is just as bad as counihan.Cork learned nothing from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Why are Mitchelstown at such long odds to beat Keel of Kerry on Sunday? They are at 11/4. Surely with it being on in Cork and Mitchelstown having played competitive games recently they would be at much shorter odds....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement