Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just had a bit of a revelation – I actually cannot be arsed trying to get poems published in (Irish) journals anymore. Haven't submitted anything in months, but was lining up a few places that are accepting submissions when I realised I have zero interest in the kind of poetry that gets published these days. I usually get no pleasure from reading it, and it's completely different in style to the kind of poetry that I enjoy. And nobody that I actually want to read my stuff reads literary mags!

So I'm not sure if it's worth my while looking at some zines in the UK or somethin... or if I should just start sharing it on my blog instead :-/ Not even sure what I'm hoping to get from being published! Was mostly looking for a pat on the back from someone/people who reads a lot of poetry, but now I don't care so much. I just want people to read it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Dave! wrote: »
    Just had a bit of a revelation – I actually cannot be arsed trying to get poems published in (Irish) journals anymore. Haven't submitted anything in months, but was lining up a few places that are accepting submissions when I realised I have zero interest in the kind of poetry that gets published these days. I usually get no pleasure from reading it, and it's completely different in style to the kind of poetry that I enjoy. And nobody that I actually want to read my stuff reads literary mags!

So I'm not sure if it's worth my while looking at some zines in the UK or somethin... or if I should just start sharing it on my blog instead :-/ Not even sure what I'm hoping to get from being published! Was mostly looking for a pat on the back from someone/people who reads a lot of poetry, but now I don't care so much. I just want people to read it I guess.

I definitely get that feeling. I was reading out poems and getting slaps on the back but I don't know if anyone was willing to talk about what I was talking about. It just seems like it's s circular poetry for the sake of poetry thing going on. There's a few people who really get into it but oftentimes I figured it was either to hear your own voice or listening to judge someone.

The last time I read out a poem I had the guest poet heartily cheer me, and no one else. It was a poem about teaching kids, and he seemed to get it and that was enough for me. People not being willing to talk is just to much.

So with that being said I'll write another poem and head back to my poets night tomorrow because you've inspired me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭expatinator

I've thaught kids before. I'd be interested in hearing that poem :)

I'm really struggling with an edit. There's so much to edit and I'm kind of lazy. The writing is horrible, there are a few scenes that are pointless, and I feel like it's a bit melodramtic.

But there's some really good twist and turns, characterization and imagery. And the world-building is cool. I really see it being published if I could just make it good enough. :(

How in the world do you get motivate cutting a novel down to size?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've thaught kids before. I'd be interested in hearing that poem :)

I'm really struggling with an edit. There's so much to edit and I'm kind of lazy. The writing is horrible, there are a few scenes that are pointless, and I feel like it's a bit melodramtic.

But there's some really good twist and turns, characterization and imagery. And the world-building is cool. I really see it being published if I could just make it good enough. :(

How in the world do you get motivate cutting a novel down to size?

Try to write a synopsis. https://janefriedman.com/novel-synopsis/

I did and it helped me enormously to get to the core of the thing. Once you have that, you'll know what parts you need to give the heave-ho, and what parts you need to fix up. You may even need new scenes.

That's the structural edit. Then comes the sentence by sentence edit, looking at your language and sentence structure to ensure you're conveying your point whilst not over egging it. This is also where you can catch your melodrama and tone it down.

Even if you feel it's a bit scruffy at the moment, I can tell by your post that you know you have something good at the core here. Give it the work it deserves and I'm certain you'll come good.

I'd also recommend finding another writer in a similar boat to you to meet regularly with. You can give honest (often painful) feedback to each other and help each other achieve your goals. Writing workshops are often good places to find your matches.

I think that's a great idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Dave! wrote: »

??? What does that mean?
    Does it mean that you haven't been accepted by something local because you have submitted something outside the boundaries, or have you submitted something that is close to tripe?
    But off you go, head to London, Paris or even New York - you'll get discovered there with no bother at all.
    Buy us a pint when you get back.

Here's something for you: http://www.bailieboroughpoetry.com/2015-poetry-prize/
    Closing date, September 25, 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

??? What does that mean?
    Does it mean that you haven't been accepted by something local because you have submitted something outside the boundaries, or have you submitted something that is close to tripe?
    But off you go, head to London, Paris or even New York - you'll get discovered there with no bother at all.
    Buy us a pint when you get back.

Angry man!

No, I haven't submitted anything since my last ones were published several months ago. But I've realised that the style of poetry that is in the Irish zines doesn't appeal to me – it's not work that I personally enjoy reading (each to their own). I was just submitting because they're local/I'm familiar with them/for the sake of it.

So I was considering whether I should look further afield for zines that I might actually enjoy reading, and that I might actually want my work to be in. There are lots of styles and publications differ in the kind of thing they publish, so there might be a better fit somewhere else. I'm also considering whether I actually care if my work is published. Not sure what I'm hoping to get out of it.

Don't be so defensive, I'm not looking to get discovered :o

I'm not angry. I am curious as to why you claim to have written "feck all" since your last two poems were published while at the same time complain that the poetry published today doesn't appeal to you.

How is everyone getting on?

I had a bit of a tough time recently, and unsurprisingly my reaction has been to write, not about it, but about anything else! But my shoulder is buggered now from all the typing so I need to slow up.

I sent out a raft of submissions yesterday because I think I'm probably able to take rejection again.

I've also decided that I'm going to enter this:
    http://icelandwritersretreat.tumblr.com/post/128183802454/win-a-free-writers-retreat-in-iceland

It would be just lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Sorry to hear about that. At least you're still writing. You must be really slugging away to damage your shoulder! Wish I could say the same. I'm stuck on the same idea and seem to be spending more time thinking about it than actually writing it. Ah well.
    Good luck with the submissions and Iceland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭addicted to caffeine

Getting on well over here, manuscript is up to 39 thousand words:-D I hope to do another 40ish before my first draft is finished.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've joined up with the Writers' Society in college since I went back to do another course. I'm the oldest member of the group by default, but they all seem to like me!

I have lectures some evenings so I got someone to read out a pair of my old poems at an open mic event that I couldn't attend myself. I'm told they got a great reaction. Just hoping this will kick-start a return to writing new stuff now.

An File wrote: »
    I've joined up with the Writers' Society in college since I went back to do another course. I'm the oldest member of the group by default, but they all seem to like me!

I have lectures some evenings so I got someone to read out a pair of my old poems at an open mic event that I couldn't attend myself. I'm told they got a great reaction. Just hoping this will kick-start a return to writing new stuff now.

Brill. I was vice auditor of Writers' Soc in NUIG back in the day. It was a great experience, but I used being part of the society as an excuse not to write. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Brill. I was vice auditor of Writers' Soc in NUIG back in the day. It was a great experience, but I used being part of the society as an excuse not to write. :D

The current chairman has already told me to run for his position for next semester. :P I wouldn't have his skills though. The guy is great at what he does.

I do regret not being more active with the same society when I was doing my undergrad course. I'm only now making up for all the fun I missed out on six or seven years ago!

Last week would have been too early, so instead we had a belated Hallowe'en Spooktacular event this evening in the college.

We were given permission to use an old penance room by the chapel, which when dark is rather atmospheric in a haunting way! One of the girls wrote a story for the occasion, and two other had new poems. Another lad brought along the best creepy-pasta story he could find on-line at short notice. There was also a brief trade-off of "two line horror stories".

I brought along two old poems. It was only when I started reading them that I remembered how personal they were, but it was too dark for me to feel self-conscious. Feels good to be back in a place where I'm sharing stuff, even if I'm still not starting anything new.

I also did a little editing on 3 poems last night so I could submit them just before today's deadline for UL's Ogham Stone publication. I was in the first edition in 2013, so it'd be lovely if they'd publish me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I have had a story included in the Original Writing from Ireland's Own anthology for 2015. Delighted to see my name and work in print.:D

I thought their readership was firmly in the older demographic and pitched accordingly but have been surprised at how many younger people admit to reading, if not buying, it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

That's fantastic! We'll done. Any chance of a read? ☺

Wonderful!

Looking forward to reading it. When is it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

In all good book shops (or Easons anyway).
    Ideal present for anyone who likes their reading free of sex and violence.:)

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    In all good book shops (or Easons anyway).
    Ideal present for anyone who likes their reading free of sex and violence.:)

You'll have to give us a nudge as to which story is yours. :)

echo beach wrote: »
    I have had a story included in the Original Writing from Ireland's Own anthology for 2015. Delighted to see my name and work in print.:D

I thought their readership was firmly in the older demographic and pitched accordingly but have been surprised at how many younger people admit to reading, if not buying, it.

Well done:D

As for myself my manuscript is up to 42 thousand words, getting there :)

How is everyone getting on?

All good here, manuscript is up to 47k words, getting there slowly :) Also I entered a writing competition for the first time, link for it is here: http://http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/100-word-story-competition

not expecting to win but if I did it would be brilliant :)

Hello everybody :)

The story's going great. I have the edits done by the end of the year, and then it's time to send it off.

I do have one question though. What do you think about that 'finish what you're doing' mentality?

As in, should I stick to a story I'm not sure I want to continue writing, or start another one?

Also, anybody have any good crime magazines for submitting short stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Hello everybody :)

The story's going great. I have the edits done by the end of the year, and then it's time to send it off.

I do have one question though. What do you think about that 'finish what you're doing' mentality?

As in, should I stick to a story I'm not sure I want to continue writing, or start another one?

Also, anybody have any good crime magazines for submitting short stories?

The whole 'finishing what you're doing' thing shouldn't be followed to the point of stagnating in a story or project that doesn't interest you. I think it's fine to leave an unfinished story and start another so long as you finish most of your stories. If it was something you really loved or know has potential you'll go back to it. I've put plenty on pause to start some new idea that was bursting to get out. They'll still be there when you've exorcised the newer idea.

I'm starting my line edits :) Finally, I can start sending this out soon.

I say, but I know full well that I'll be obsessing over it.

On another note, I've been trying to get my work published in magazines. You know, get your name out there.

*fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My second urban fantasy novel is out on Amazon now. Beyond Dawn's Light is a series of short stories exploring the urban fantasy world, and how humanity has faced up to the realisation that vampires, fae, witches and shifters are walking amount the human ranks.

The first book, Beyond Night's Dawn is available here on Amazon.
    The second book, Beyond Dawn's Light is available here.

The first book is about a witch fighting against vampires who have found a secret to walk beneath the sun with their full powers intact.

The first one was an exciting write, if hard to get to the story out. The second one involved a lot more thought. There are some introspective stories in it, so it was tough going making sure the writing was up to my own standards. There's different challenges to both, but writing thoughtful pieces is a different beast to writing action and something with pace.

I'm trying to get the second one to be set to free on Amazon, to attract some readers, but Amazon are being weird about it. It's available free in the US, but it's not showing as free for me. And I don't know what's happening in the other storefronts.

Anyway, I think the first books is an exciting, pacy read and well worth a go. And the second one is definitely me trying to flex my writing muscles a little more.

For anyone who might be interested, there's a free online introduction to Screenwriting course kicking off at the end of the month.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/screenwriting.

• Advertisement

Anyone headed down to the Doolin literary fest next weekend?

Advertisement