Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike purchase,,suzuki gn 125???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What would be the go to beginner cruiser these days then? Would love a Rebel 300 but not going to spend that on a first bike.

Any thoughts on what is good value at present? City use for myself, 6 foot 1 and 13.5 stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stefan_31

What would be the go to beginner cruiser these days then? Would love a Rebel 300 but not going to spend that on a first bike.

Any thoughts on what is good value at present? City use for myself, 6 foot 1 and 13.5 stone...

I would 100 go for a honda varadero 125xl. Its a big bike for a 125 and good on fuel and sounds amazing. Also dont forget its big as you said your 6 foot 1. Dont know ifs it considered a cruiser but heard its very comfortable and upright. Pulls good too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

What would be the go to beginner cruiser these days then?

250cc Yamaha Dragstar or the Honda/Suzuki equiv would be good options and could easily be found for well under 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

KonFusion wrote: »
    What would be the go to beginner cruiser these days then?

250cc Yamaha Dragstar or the Honda/Suzuki equiv would be good options and could easily be found for well under 2k

This.

A 125 vs a 250 is night and day.
    I have both.

The 125 will absolutely get you the same place a 250 will, but unless you're exclusively roaming inside the city limits then forget a 125. On the motorway they're just not safe as you're revving the guts off it just to get over 100kmph, and then you've nothing left for overtaking or getting out of someone's way.

There is just not a enough top end speed with a 125, nor enough acceleration. At 10-15 bhp a 125cc can just about move itself and a rider. The 25-35 bhp 250cc's have all that, plus dedicated power for acceleration or motorway speeds.

I'm sure someone will say similar about a 250 vs 650, but I've limited experience on mid sized bikes, but 100,000 km on small displacements.

I'm in Taipei at the moment and it's scooter city, here the 125 is king because it needs to be dragged up on the pavement. It's a dead flat sprawling city though, so no need for top speed or acceleration.

Advertisement