Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike purchase,,suzuki gn 125???

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

im planning on joining the 'biking community',and was wondering if i can get your opinion on a bike i've found on donedeal..suzuki gn 125.What do you's think of it as a starter bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It really depends on your circumstances and requirements.

What age are you? Are you m/f? Large or small? What do you wish to use it for? Commute? Is it for pleasure purposes at all? What kinds of bikes get your juices flowing? Have you any riding experience at all? Are you a car driver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navangang

cantdecide wrote: »
    It really depends on your circumstances and requirements.

What age are you? Are you m/f? Large or small? What do you wish to use it for? Commute? Is it for pleasure purposes at all? What kinds of bikes get your juices flowing? Have you any riding experience at all? Are you a car driver?
    18,male,6ft, about 210 pounds..mostly for getting to work as car insurance too expensive..any bike really,never ridin a motorbike before..yep got a vw polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

navangang wrote: »
    18,male,6ft, about 210 pounds..mostly for getting to work as car insurance too expensive..any bike really,never ridin a motorbike before..yep got a vw polo.

15 stone or 95 kgs to our other users.

Whats the commute like, distance and road type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You're pretty tall

Consider a Honda Varadero 125cc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

mikemac wrote: »
    You're pretty tall

Consider a Honda Varadero 125cc

I was going to say TDR125.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    I was going to say TDR125.
    would i get a good used one for under €1000?thats my budget for the bike:(

15 stone or 95 kgs to our other users.

Whats the commute like, distance and road type?
    kells to dublin,about 45 miles..not on a motorway,as im on a provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whats your entire budget. Buying a bike is cheap enough, insurance is expensive at the start, buying decent gear(for a year long 90mile commute) is expensive, maintaining the bike can get expensive. If you don't have a provisional then your looking at 450 quid for mandatory training.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

if your on a tight budget you will probably be cheaper insuring the car and saving up more for the bike, if you have no budget go nuts but get a 250cc bike so you can use it to pass your full A licence test... you obviously have a sensible head on your shoulders considering out of all the bike you could have asked about you picked a GN125 rather than a ninja 250 or some other sports bike that will cost a fortune to insure.

first step, check how much your insurance is on the bike... it could well be more than your car insurance.. if not then

second step, work out a cost for bike+insurance+comfortable/warm gear+IBT ... if thats in budget.. then go nuts, if not then get car insurance and keep the dream alive until next year and try again.

as a side note 45 miles is far on a small bike off the motorway, and if early report are anything to go on this winter is going to be another Pox-fest i wouldn't put all your money into a motorbike as your only means of transport if you will be relying on a car for the winter months.. but again thats only if you are on a budget if this is for the love of biking then go for it.

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    if your on a tight budget you will probably be cheaper insuring the car and saving up more for the bike, if you have no budget go nuts but get a 250cc bike so you can use it to pass your full A licence test... you obviously have a sensible head on your shoulders considering out of all the bike you could have asked about you picked a GN125 rather than a ninja 250 or some other sports bike that will cost a fortune to insure.

first step, check how much your insurance is on the bike... it could well be more than your car insurance.. if not then

second step, work out a cost for bike+insurance+comfortable/warm gear+IBT ... if thats in budget.. then go nuts, if not then get car insurance and keep the dream alive until next year and try again.

as a side note 45 miles is far on a small bike off the motorway, and if early report are anything to go on this winter is going to be another Pox-fest i wouldn't put all your money into a motorbike as your only means of transport if you will be relying on a car for the winter months.. but again thats only if you are on a budget if this is for the love of biking then go for it.
    thanks everyone who replied to me:)...my insurance would be 1000€ on the honda varadero 125.on my car,my insurance is 4000€ and cant afford that:(..ye this my first time really on a motorbike so i'd end up killing myself on something like a ninja:p..anyone know of a place to get reliable gear and not kill my wallet?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I had a gn125 and used to do 50 miles a day (return) on a national road. It was torturous ride. No power, bullied by white van drivers, blown all over the road. I last 6 months and decided to upgrade - best decision I made (for me). My experience is that the GN125 is suitable for riding around urban areas, pottering around a city, filtering in traffic, etc.

MargeS wrote: »
    I had a gn125 and used to do 50 miles a day (return) on a national road. It was torturous ride. No power, bullied by white van drivers, blown all over the road. I last 6 months and decided to upgrade - best decision I made (for me). My experience is that the GN125 is suitable for riding around urban areas, pottering around a city, filtering in traffic, etc.
    oh ri..would a varadero 125 or a tdr 125 be much better ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

The varadero would be more comfortable for you and slightly more powerful. The tdr would definitely have more grunt being a 2 stroke (had 1 of them myself when I was starting out) but 2 stroke engines require more maintenance than 4 strokes.
    If you were going to go down the 2 stroke 125 road, you'd be better off with a 4 stroke 250 so that you can do your A license test on it and benefit from the reliability. Something along the lines of a Honda cbf 250 would be quite manageable to start on. Although I'm not sure what kind of money they make or if you'll get one for 1000. A honda bros would be a good option too, a very good bike for commuting and can be picked up fairly cheap. It would need to be restricted though.
    You'll probably find Quinn or Adelaide to be the cheapest for insurance, so try them if you haven't already.
    If you decide to go for a 250cc check whether the model you are looking at needs to be restricted to meet license requirements, as that will cost you another few quid to get done.

What about a suzuki tu x 125?any better than a gn?

What about a suzuki tu x 125?any better than a gn?

I don't know much about that bike, but I just had a looked on Donedeal there and there's a few GN 250's in your price range. Would be a lot better than the 125. As far as I know they don't need restriction either.

I don't know much about that bike, but I just had a looked on Donedeal there and there's a few GN 250's in your price range. Would be a lot better than the 125. As far as I know they don't need restriction either.
    know anywhere i can get cheap reliable gear,and not cost me an arm?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I agree with everything after_shock3000 said. Try and find a decent 250, it will be worth it in the long run. Besides at 6ft, the chances are, your knees will be up around your ears on the 125.

I've been to cotters in Ballymount once and found them very fair with clothing costs. Their website is:http://www.cottermc.com

I can't help you with places for gear, I'm on the other end of the country.
    The place that MargeS linked to looks very well priced.
    If your budget is very tight, used good gear might be better than new cheap stuff, except for the helmet of course.
    You don't need to buy a top range Arai or anything, but don't cheap out on the helmet. Buy something decent and take care of it, any drop or knock it takes in handling is only taking away some of it's ability to protect you if you need it.
    When you're looking at helmets check them on http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I think the Suzuki TUX 250 is a lovely bike (saw one in Westmeath on donedeal for around the 500 mark with low mileage), I'd think a 125 might be a bit underpowered for the distance you'll be doing.

For gear, a lot of people recommend Cotters. Either that or second hand for as much as you can get, or somewhere good value online like louis.de (only problem is working out your size. Buy new for your helmet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Just to echo what other posters said.

I used to have a gn125 & a tdr125, I was coming from Navan at the time & doing couriering in dublin. Both bikes were grand for couriering but the drive to & from navan was hell. Especially the switch from the tdr to the gn, horrible for long drives, get a 250 imo.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies people,really appreciate it..Went to actually look at a honda cg cargo 125,found it a great bike,so bought it and it drives really well:D..thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

good for you. post pictures when you get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sparrow_Hawk

[QUOTE=Cuddlesworth;72892604 If you don't have a provisional then your looking at 450 quid for mandatory training.[/QUOTE]

Is that the IBT for 450? if so, would love to know where :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Where are you based Sparrow Hawk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Thanks for all the replies people,really appreciate it..Went to actually look at a honda cg cargo 125,found it a great bike,so bought it and it drives really well:D..thanks again.

Much better choice you can't go wrong with a Honda, gn's are muck, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Go for a 250 over a 125cc if you can. GN250s or a Suzuuki Marauder 250cc are good starter bikes with a decent bit of pull. I could get my Marauder to 80MPH, 85MPH going downhill. The next bike to get would be a Honda Bros after as they're nice a powerful while being learner legal. Also they're a joy to ride just hard to come by now since Honda don't make them any more. A travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stefan_31

If you want to buy cheap gear. Look on ebay for ls2 helmets.thwir a good brand and have seen people wearing them. And also type the .motorbike jacket and loads ill pop up. Even thoigh this post is old😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Go for a 250 over a 125cc if you can. GN250s or a Suzuuki Marauder 250cc are good starter bikes with a decent bit of pull. I could get my Marauder to 80MPH, 85MPH going downhill. The next bike to get would be a Honda Bros after as they're nice a powerful while being learner legal. Also they're a joy to ride just hard to come by now since Honda don't make them any more. A travesty.

The Marauder 125 (GZ125) and the GN125 and TuX 125 are all using the same 1 cylinder engine with various different window dressing to make them look nice.

I started on a Marauder 125 myself and got bored of it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »
    The Marauder 125 (GZ125) and the GN125 and TuX 125 are all using the same 1 cylinder engine with various different window dressing to make them look nice.

I started on a Marauder 125 myself and got bored of it very quickly.

The thread is 7 years old. I'd say they have had a few more bikes since posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Del2005 wrote: »
    The thread is 7 years old. I'd say they have had a few more bikes since posting.

hAHAHAHAH, so it is :o

Now in my defense I was only on my first cup of coffee.

Advertisement