Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prep for Day Of Champions (3?) July - 16th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Depends on what kind of event you want to hold.

Last hype of 2 worlds had 7 players in Marvel and I think 8 in BB.. which is fine for XGC.

If we are gonna book out exchange the first priority is overall numbers and $$$. So I think SF4 teams makes sense. We need to think up some sort of incentive for SF4 players to try out the other games. Maybe prizes overall or Include entry to 2 tournies in the entry fee.

SF needs more than 1 event a month really.. And a team tourney wouldn't take up too much time if its straight up double elim.

I prob wouldn't go to this if there was no Marvel. But now that its there il enter into MK / Tekken and ST too for fun, but I wouldn't bother just for those games cus I don't particularly understand them enough to enjoy them yet. I think there will be more like me that show up for SF4 and play other games too that wouldn't turn up without SF4 there.

You want everyone to enjoy themselves and get into the hype like the Evo qual finals with Hound and Stevo. Everyone was going nuts for that, even the non SF players. I don't think a BB or Tekken main event could bring that hype. Maybe Marvel but Marvel just looks like a laser show to someone who doesn't play. I don't see a drawback in including SF4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Agreed with Doyler, if you want the numbers for the Exchange then SF4 is probably going to have to feature.

I don't think it'd overshadow the other games (I've run all the team tourneys so far on one setup with no time issues).

@ Liquidswords: MVC3, BB, and MK9 only appealing to hardcore fighting gamers?? That's the complete opposite of the experience that we've had here I think. Agreed that Tekken has a good shot of forming a solid scene as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

I would say for the first one, run MvC3, MK9, BBCS2 and T6BR.

YEah I agree with this as well, this way the tekken people won't complain as much. I'm willing to help you out voa if you want.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ugh. Well, for me I'd kinda like a non SF4 day to be honest. I know it's weird but I always enjoyed the break Wheel of hype of 2 champions represented from it.

I think MK should get it's chance to see if it will shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

If the point is to grow the scene beyond SFIV, then it has to be a SFIV free zone.

If 2, 3, or 4 different games are played, a flat fee that covers the cost of the exchange and some prize money for each tourny, would prevent splintering, and encourage participation in the lesser games.

As for fees and prizes i think they should be as low as posible, cover exchange's costs and a nominal prize.

It's for the craic and the tournaments in and of themselves rather than prizes isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

I think the "it's for the craic", though partially true, is one reason we don't see more people getting into other games.

Of course no one is in it for cash but you do need that certain drive to win. Having people come just to enter mvc or mk9 cos it's only a few euro probably won't do much to further the scene or standard for those games either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Def. has to be a SF4 free zone, it will just hog the spotlight like it usually does.

I've never really gotten why it was credited with bringing back the genre, it brought back itself and just stole attention from the other fighters that were still played at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

This all depends on what Voa wants to accomplish. If he wants a big setting and money just run four diffrent types of street fighter you will make the money easily. If he wants to promote other games street fighter will push everything else away from the spotlight. Day of champions will become inferno teams and the games which have no scene will end up back in xgc.

At the end of the day this Voas call what he wants to do with his own tournament.

I am not trying to be smart here but could you not ask for a team tourney be run as a side event to inferno?
    At the old wheel of hypes we did a tourney and then north vs south teams for fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

At the end of the day this Voas call what he wants to do with his own tournament.
    I just wanna jump on this for a moment; this is not my tournament. I'm running it now, and getting it off the ground, but this is a community thing, for it and by it. I'll discuss the potential of what will be played with various people (like if there's any kind of ST scene we could stir up, or if there's anyway to get the word out to a greater number of Tekken players), but this will not be my decision solely; I'm considering everything everyone has been saying, and until I have all the information I want, I won't put forward a plan. Whether or not whatever plan I put forward goes ahead will depend on the feasibility and general consensus. Ultimately, I do get the last word in things, but that'll just be to stop any kind of endless argument or delay, so I probably will never need to just say "this is how it is, because I said so."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I dont think id travel if it didnt have sf4 on the lineup but I would play at least 1 other game there if sf was being played. Id probably play mvc or any other street fighter game.

• Advertisement

To face facts; this is a Street Fighter community, with some chaps who play other games. I think, at least for the first go of things, we will be including a team SF4 tournament. I've got to get pricing ironed out in my head, but it will most likely go that "pay entrance of 5 then X for entry into 2 double elim games, slight increase for further double elim games, free/low cost entry into single elim game".
    The double elim games would be; SF4 Teams, MvC3, ST, Tekken, BB.
    Possible single elim would be whatever gets interest generated (I'm looking at you, AH3).

Thoughts?

I think that's a great idea (obviously since I was ragin at everyone about it at casuals :pac:), should mean all the games get good attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Sounds good as long as you cannot just enter one tournament. Minimum participation be 2 games.

MK should maybe be a double elim game. It's new and did very well last Saturday.

What kind of SF teams? 2v2 sounds easiest but I'm hearing more interest for 3v3. Random or premade teams? Seeds separated?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Can't wait for this, team tournaments should be a blast.

I better learn how to play a second game lol.

3v3 would be more hype but with a load of other games on it might be better to go with 2v2 so the SF4 tourney doesn't hold up other tournaments by having people called away from games as much.

imo it should be premade teams, unseeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

This sounds great, I'd enter ST, AE & MK9 if its on. Maybe MvC3 too. Can we get some Wu Tang: Taste The Pain as well plz pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Well I'll throw my 2 cents in for all it's worth (probably nothing since I'm new)

Yes we can all agree that Street Fighter 4 is the big thing (atm) in the scene and we all love to play it, yet I think a few are missing the point of this is a test run for a monthly non sf4 day of different fighting games. I for one would be happy with this. BB, MK, Tekken, ST, 3rd Strike (ill hold my breath for alpha 3) would be good to play imo and I would pay a flat fee for entry and participation.

From what I can see there is many Sf4 casuals/tournaments monthly here so why not try to help the scene grow by playing other games and if it fails, it fails. YET if it was a success then the scene might just grow and get better.

EDIT: HELL YEAH TEAM TOURNAMENT. Sign me up for team noob/scrub/random wake up ulta

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

ssf4 (fu ae) mk9 + st plz

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Cobelcog wrote: »
    ssf4 (fu ae) mk9 + st plz

Screw SSf4, Lets go play Vanilla

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

I understand the point of haveing ssf4 ae teams to bring people in. But Isn't the whole point, is to give the other games attentions and also to show people that there is a scene for mk9,bb,mvc3,tekken?

by having ssf4, I bet most of the people that come down are just gonna be ssf4 players and yes they will play other games, but only because its there. Infact I think some won't even play anything but ssf4. So bush/cobalcog and other ssf4 heads (its not important if you come or not)

Not to sound selfish, But i don't think ssf4 should be held. (yes we will lose alot of people coming to it) but to be honest DOC is not ment for them, if they don't play anything else, don't come.

By concentrating on the 4 games, this way people will know that there can be a scene for it. Not like were trying to convert ssf4 to play other games. Thought the whole point is to let people know that thinsg are running for these games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

two SF tournaments a month isn't necessary imo.

a team SFIV thing is ideal for a pub based event for the craic, nothing more.

Being honest, would only be playing in an SF tournament if it was there, but would rather the time be used for other games, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

We need more SF4. We barely have 1 tourney a month for SF4. Not everyone shows up to the 1 tourney a month thing.
    Almost every community around the globe has about 1 tourny a week. Look at the level they're on because of it.

It looks like the 16th might well be fully booked. Would the 9th or the 23rd be a better date for people? (I'm not sure yet, I haven't contacted them, but they do have their timetable online (also, does anyone know if their "market" yoke is a thing inside or around it?))

23rd is pre booked for me.

Hm. 30th so instead. But I've no idea when you guys have any Inferno's on. I'd like to give people at least 1 week between Inferno and any other tournament, it might affect any of those who would come from further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

This sounds great. Shaping up well. Fair play voa.

@everyone saying their gonna learn a new game, DO IT! Any of them.

The Hound wrote: »
    We need more SF4. We barely have 1 tourney a month for SF4. Not everyone shows up to the 1 tourney a month thing.
    Almost every community around the globe has about 1 tourny a week. Look at the level they're on because of it.

There's way more than one Sf tournament on in this country a month.

I went 4 months last year where I was playing in a tournament every weekend.

A tournament was called off today in Dublin because not enough people would come to it. There's another one next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Would it not be better to have this and Inferno as far apart from each other as possible? Say run one on the first Saturday of the month and the other on the third.

Needless to say AE is where the majority of the interest lies so most people are devoted to it. However more people might be inclined to play some other games if they felt they had the time without interferring with their AE time.

• Advertisement

chueytoo wrote: »
    Not to sound selfish, But i don't think ssf4 should be held. (yes we will lose alot of people coming to it) but to be honest DOC is not ment for them, if they don't play anything else, don't come.

Dude "not meant for them"? That sounds so elitist (though I know you're not like that at all).

Almost every ST/3s/MVC3 player in this country plays SSF4 as well [can't speak for other games], and a good few have said they'd come down and play those games for sure, but they'd be a lot more likely if there were SF4 too.

Sure look at the lads at Evo quals last time who were delighted to get games of ST and 3s in.

There is no downside to having SSF4 - it means higher attendance for every game, most of that attendance will be fans of the game in question but for whom it wouldn't be worth their while attending without SF4 as well.

Advertisement