Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prep for Day Of Champions (3?) July - 16th

Options
  • 21-06-2011 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I was gonna start this thread when I got back from Q-con, but I figure getting things organised earlier rather than later will be helpful.
    Essentially, I want to make HoTW bigger, and move it out of the XGC. To do this, we'll bring in more games, as long as the various parties that play them are willing to make appearances and support the tournaments. I wouldn't enforce any rules on them (apart from following normal tournament stuff), anyone who wants to run their game's tournament is free to do so, as long as it's not something stupid that would take absolutely ages to finish (like best of 5 rounds with best of 5 set groups into best of 5 rounds best of 5 set double elim).
    I would hope to bring the tournaments over to the exchange, but I'd like to know which of the SF organisers I should chat to about getting it rented, what the cost would be and so on...
    It'd probably be run to the same style as the prior HoTWs and the EVO quals were run; general entry fee, plus fee per game, except that in the HoTWs, first to third get paid out based on the number of entrants in the game.

Ideally we'd be looking to host MvC3, BB (maybe...it's a lil dead atm), MK9 (you guys have been clamoring for a tournament, as far as I can tell), and any other games that people want in the tournament, as long as there's enough people to play a decent sized set.

So...what do people think? Would there not be enough interest to pull this off? Or would people attend for the craic?

Will this be hype? 15 votes

Hell yeah! Let's do this!
    0% 0 votes
    Hell no! Keep to the XGC, it's not time to move out yet.
    93% 14 votes
    The name is stupid and should be changed, other than that I have no opinion.
    6% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

As I said before I want to run 3rd strike regularly. But not until the new version drops (currently its Summer 2011....) Maybe as a dual series with ST/HDR.

Other than that, a bit of VF 5 really wouldn't go amiss. and that would be small enough to do on one setup. all I'd need is a monitor.

As an aside, the MK9 guys had a surprisingly good turnout on sat, and perhaps this is the opportunity for the tekken guys to step up and join the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Yeah, I was thinking 3S, but I was wanting to wait till the OE drops so there's a workable copy that we don't need to run off laptop or a choppy ass Xbox version. If you think there'd be a big enough turnout on the day for ST or (god help us) VF5, more power to ya, go ahead and raise some hype for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Im all for this, as much as I like SF4 I dont want it to become the only game with a scene here.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

I'm hype for MK9 and would be a participant. Wouldnt be into MVC3 or £s but defo ST or ExPlus Alpha... Booyaah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I'll be there for some BB, maybe some MvC3 if I get the time to sit down, practice and get much better at it than I am right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Waku Waku 7

And to some extent,

PUYO PUYO FEVER

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I would say for the first one, run MvC3, MK9, BBCS2 and T6BR.

Make them straight up double elim to make sure there's no time constraints.

This will give the MK and T6 people the chance they seem to want. MvC seems to still have some hype to it so that'd be a good main event.

If we even just had 4 set ups that would be doable.

I could record the big fights from all tournaments. People search for this stuff on youtube and they could find us.

If someone brought a lappy we could run a side ST/3s tourney too.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

If the numbers pump up, let's get an exclusive Arcana Hearts 3 set up!!!!!

No swords allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

I would be willing to jump on board with this voa. If theres anything i can do pm me on this or ps3.
    Naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm 2.
    He who spams most wins :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I would say for the first one, run MvC3, MK9, BBCS2 and T6BR.

100% with you here. Pricing will have to be pretty decent to get people to enter more than their best game. For instance, I didn't enter Blazblue at EvoQ. 'cause it would have pushed me up to 40 and I suck at it.

Would €5 per game cover overhead costs? Forget prizes for the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

This is starting to sound like a day of champions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I figured fiver in, double elim was the easiest way to run all these. I reckon we'll do the 4 main ones, and open a poll for a side tournament and see if there's any interest in one or more of them as a single elim free entry thing, not as a 100% side tournament, but as a bonus one of the day.

Also, Day of Champions would probably be a better name alright.
    Mind if I nick it, Dan? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Voa wrote: »

Also, Day of Champions would probably be a better name alright.
    Mind if I nick it, Dan? :p

Work away. Be good to get it up and running again. Even with the slightly different format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Monkeyto wrote: »
    If the numbers pump up, let's get an exclusive Arcana Hearts 3 set up!!!!!

No swords allowed.

If I could play some at casuals soon I'd probably enter.

Would Tekken be run on PS3 or 360? I can only play with a dualshock. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Naphiel wrote: »
    If I could play some at casuals soon I'd probably enter.

Would Tekken be run on PS3 or 360? I can only play with a dualshock. :pac:

Im sure the lads will do their best to adapt, but if you want to play competitively you'll need to buy an adapter for the pad.

Chopper was saying this to me at EvoQ and I totally agree with him. If you play on a pad, you should have a converter for the other console, simple as that. They are apparently quite cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

What about a set price that gets you into every tournament?

If you have separate pricing you could end up with the smaller games dying in 4 man tournaments.

20 quid in and you can play in as many or as few of the, say 4, tournaments as you'd like.

Might lead to people trying out games they usually ignore. (BB)

What about a set price that gets you into every tournament?

If you have separate pricing you could end up with the smaller games dying in 4 man tournaments.

20 quid in and you can play in as many or as few of the, say 4, tournaments as you'd like.

Might lead to people trying out games they usually ignore. (BB)

Also a good idea, I'd be down for this. Or even a €5 per tourney, €15 for all 4 set up. Either way, I'll enter whatever is fiscally possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

This all sounds good.

Having an optional "enter all games flat fee" is a cool idea.

I think things to consider would be, will this be feasible monthly and possibly paying out just first and second place.

I say this because due to the smaller numbers these games currently attract, players may be less inclined to travel, especially if they make the trip for inferno as well. It costs a fair bit for some folks.

Also the pots are quite small as is and 3rd place gets very little money anyway, perhaps just pay 1st and 2nd? Maybe have free entry to future events as prizes or something along those lines. Though I am aware the folks playing just want to play regardless of the dolla bills.

Finally if we really wanted to boost numbers we could also add the ssf4 team tourney into the mix.

End transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If you plan on running four games in a single day in Exchange, you might need more than four setups.

Straight double elim on each tournament is certainly doable though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Adding sf4 teams could boost numbers alright

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

SF4 teams would be hype.

Sure it may over shadow the other games but the other games need exposure.

I think SF4 teams would be worth it for the attendance as that is whats most important here. Especially in the beginning.

Speaking as someone who never wins anything from pots (not bitter, just saying), I'm more likely to enter a multi-game day if the cost of entry is lower for games I'm inexperienced at.

I always did all games in the actual Days of Champions since they were only €1 entry per game, even Tekken which I kinda hate. That's fine for a laugh.

As the price increases though, I'm less willing to commit money towards multiple games I'm bad at, not because I won't win the pot (I fully expect to never win any money back) but because the amount of time I get to sit and play stays the same, while the cost to me goes up. It begins to feel like a waste.

I had great fun losing to Doom at SFPlusEXAlpha for example at the Day of Champions.
    But my last time at WOH was massively demoralising.

I'm afraid I don't necessarily have a recommendation to follow up this tl;dr; but I'd say I'm not alone in being more likely to be willing to lose at a game if the money I lose is smaller.

Don't know what exactly the sweetspot is between the two either, it would vary by person.

I don't think I'd want four there in any form. I'd prefer to see it as an event purely for the other games and see where the interest lies. I mean people will show up for four but it just further emphasises the idea that it's only the game that's played.

Orim wrote: »
    I don't think I'd want four there in any form. I'd prefer to see it as an event purely for the other games and see where the interest lies. I mean people will show up for four but it just further emphasises the idea that it's only the game that's played.

If SF4 teams was running, I'd show up for that.

Potentially only that, which kind of re-enforces your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'm definitely a fan of the enter everything bargain deal as I dabble in a bit of all sorts but I'm hesitent to put money down specifically to enter games I barely remember how to play.

It has to be kept in mind that this is a slight revamp of the DoC idea. DoC was purely for a bit of fun and to get people to try as many games as possible.

Whereas this new format is more for the smaller communities of dedicated players for the games. It's a delicate balancing.

If the entry fee goes up then it will only be the more serious players of the games that will enter. This could be good in that there is a decent prize pot and the players playing will be more serious about the game, rather then some of the events we have seen where we fulfill the prophecy of the button masher. It also means that the tournaments won't have a massive turn-out but that could potentially be a good thing as it allows us to run more games on the day.

A lesser entry fee, such as DoCs previous €1, means that more people will enter. However it could just be down to the factor of the cost and it may not mean anything as they wander through one or two matches without really understanding or trying to understand anything. It does mean a larger attendance but that's at the cost of prize pot and perhaps that availability of more games on the day.

Perhaps some kind of system on the day which moves the games based on tiers. We could do something like MvC3 and BB are Tier 1 games. SF3 and T6 are Tier 2. Entrance is the usual €5 . You can pay maybe a €5 to enter a Tier 1 game or to enter both Tier 2 games. You can also pay a €10 to enter all the games. Prizes could be divided up at the end based on number of entrants and the tier of the game. Something like that. Depending on numbers you could always divide it more and have more games running but that would depend on entrants/set-ups etc.

I mean if we really wanted to get technical you could start judging them based on what happens at the tournament. For example if a game gets really low attendance or most of the players seem to be playing for the laugh a game could bumped down. The opposite applies, if a game gets 8 very serious players then it could maybe get bumped up and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

Tekken 6 is probably the best option if you're trying to cultivate another fighting game scene, Marvel, BB and MK are fighting games that really only appeal to hardcore gamers (and let's face it they're all cheeks anyway) nobody wants to be the best at something nobody gives a flying fluck about. Tekken however is popular as hell (seen some random fat dude with that tribal Jin tattoo in the pub the other night lol) amongst casual fans, it's actually a credible fighting game and it seems to have a small, fledgling scene of good players that could do with regular well run tournaments.

Tekken is the only other fighting game with the potential to birth a community to rival that of Street Fighter. You're never going to be like Japan where any fighting game can have a credible scene so why not just place your chips on the best bet?

Plus with them crossover games on the horizon it makes even more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

I understand both sides of the argument with regards adding sf4 teams.

I don't think sf4 overshadowing the other games is a problem really. Having more people there is more important I think. And if we don't run teams at this it will be another tourney that pops up every now and then and has to be played underwater in the xgc.

Even just having people there spectating mvc and bb matches would be better in my opinion. Realistically getting more people to play marvel will be tough due to the poor netcode. Spectating it at a tourney might be a good way to get people interested.

With regards entry fee I'm still undecided. Though perhaps catering towards the serious(for want of a better word) players might be better by raising it. I'm really not sure though.

• Advertisement

I think having 4 there in any form is a bad idea overall, it'll just end up being all the usuals showing up playing 4 and the other games being gotten out of the way quickly so everyone can concentrate what will quickly be considered the "main event".

Yeah we need more 4, and yeah, it draws in the crowds but it just further cements the notion that "yeah, we're totally for other scenes(!) but in the end, if it's not 4 who actually gives a fuck"?

I'll show up either way, but I reckon AE teams could draw people on a day of it's own.

Advertisement