Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@rcadeCon Fighting Game Tournaments - July 1st-3rd, D4 Hotels Ballsbridge

Options
  • 20-06-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭

We at streetfighter.ie are happy to announce our sponsorship of the fighting game events at @rcadeCon 2011, a new convention on July 1st-3rd taking place at D4 Hotels Ballsbridge.

The tournaments running are:

Mortal Kombat 9 (PS3)
    Friday July 1st
    4pm-6pm

Rules:
    Over 16s Only
    All Characters
    Two round matches

Prize:
    To be confirmed.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (Xbox 360)
    Saturday 12pm – 2pm
    Final Match Sunday 12pm

Rules:
    All Characters
    Two round matches / Infinite time (I've emailed to see if this can be changed)
    Arcade Controllers Optional (Bring your own!)

Prize:
    Plaque, voucher & goodies.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (Xbox 360)
    Saturday 4pm – 6pm
    Final Match Sunday 1pm

Rules:
    Best 2 of 3 Knockout
    Two Round matches / Unlimited Time (I've emailed to see if this can be changed)
    Original characters only - Mu Banned

Super Smash Bros: Brawl (Wii)
    Sunday 3pm – 5pm

Rules:
    All characters
    1 Life

Prize:
    Plaque & goodies.

Hopefully I'll hear back soon about the infinite time limit on the games and we can get it changed.

SSF4 isn't listed as AE on the site but I presume it is - same for BlazBlue, I assume it'll be run on CS2.

One thing the organisers have asked of us for this event is to bring setups, so who's up for it? I'll be bringing a 360 with AE, but can't bring a monitor.

Get hype!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'm regged and I can bring an xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'll be coming but I can't guarantee that I can bring a monitor. I'll know next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

If you guys need anything I can help out. Consoles, TVs, Games, whatever, just ask. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Mu banned....

We'll see about that.

It's like Gealcon & Akuma all over again, I'll talk to Declan Dooley.

Also I'll bring my xbox for BBCS2 & AE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Mu banned? What kind of jokers are running this? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I didn't notice that about Mu.

We'll mention it to them too (if they want us to run the tournaments, we'll be running them right).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It says original characters only, so I assume Makoto, Valkenhayn and Platinum are banned too.

Probably just worried about having DLC for each setup.

If somebody wants to get in touch with the Exchange, I've no problem grabbing one or two of the monitors from there and bringing them along.

I would but I'm pretty out of the loop so maybe Aj or Chopper would do the honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

May venture in on the Saturday :)

🤪

It says original characters only, so I assume Makoto, Valkenhayn and Platinum are banned too.

Probably just worried about having DLC for each setup.

That's pretty lazy IMO, why run the game if they aren't going to make sure it's properly set up?

Maybe just ban the rest of the cast since they'll need a console and a copy of the game for that. :pac:

• Advertisement

That's pretty lazy IMO, why run the game if they aren't going to make sure it's properly set up?

Maybe just ban the rest of the cast since they'll need a console and a copy of the game for that. :pac:

I would say it's because despite the name it's not an exclusive fighting game or even gaming convention.

I'm sure if we can supply enough set-ups with the characters unlocked they will be willing to lift the ban.

I agree it's not great but it's a tough thing to balance and I don't think we should be too negative when a large con is giving us a chance. You have to remember at a recent exclusive fighting games there was two versions of MK running :o. It's never going to be perfect, just gotta keep a positive attitude and try to make things better.

Ramble on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

There's a MvC3 tournament pencilled in for 6pm on Saturday but no mention of it on the tournament page?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Well I can confirm that even with a name like arcade can they don't know much about video games there. I have been helping out in the forums but they need help

"well I assume people won't be playing ae since it only dlc and it not like it changes the game in a big way"

They where not even putting on an mk tournament till people asked.

I may not be the best at fighting games, got bodied completely at evo, but I do know a lot about running things and such and I will be helping out as much as I can.

I'll look into the blazblue dlc since I know the "wiiaboos" play it a lot more and such. It should be patched to continuum shift 2 with 3 characters right??? Could run it on ps3 if someone is willing to share dlc over 4 other machines that would be deactivated after the weekend so ya get your 5 downloads back

Look, at the end of the day @rcade con is an anime convention. Just like Eirtakon, Nom Con, Akumakon etc. etc. 95% of the attendees will be there for anime/manga related events - some of those will be casual gamers aswell. The key word being casual.

Yes, I agree that they should try and run game tournaments to the standard but this isn't Inferno where all the organisers and attendees are focusing on one sole game for one sole event. These people are far more involved in the anime community and are unlikely to be even aware they're doing it "wrong" when it comes to Fighting Games. Anime cons are just a bit of fun and running a fighting game tournament is fairly low down on their list of priorities. People will come and pay into @rcade con for the whole experience.

I just don't think it's fair to be so hard on the organisers. The best ye can do is just turn up, bring your consoles with DLC etc. and run it whatever way ye want - if it's anything like Eirtakon, they'll just let ye at it. Anyone who is playing it casually won't know/care about the difference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Konata wrote: »
    Look, at the end of the day @rcade con is an anime convention. Just like Eirtakon, Nom Con, Akumakon etc. etc. 95% of the attendees will be there for anime/manga related events - some of those will be casual gamers aswell. The key word being casual.

Yes, I agree that they should try and run game tournaments to the standard but this isn't Inferno where all the organisers and attendees are focusing on one sole game for one sole event. These people are far more involved in the anime community and are unlikely to be even aware they're doing it "wrong" when it comes to Fighting Games. Anime cons are just a bit of fun and running a fighting game tournament is fairly low down on their list of priorities. People will come and pay into @rcade con for the whole experience.

I just don't think it's fair to be so hard on the organisers. The best ye can do is just turn up, bring your consoles with DLC etc. and run it whatever way ye want - if it's anything like Eirtakon, they'll just let ye at it. Anyone who is playing it casually won't know/care about the difference anyway.

I agree with the sentiment. Oftentimes con organisers are just so happy to have someone run a game set-up for them, they'll let you do whatever you want.

I certainly didn't clear any rules with Vaticon when I ran Smash there; and I pretty clearly remember Xinkai (who was only a participant, and not officially affiliated in any way) taking over Blazblue at the most recent Akumakon. He just told the staff what way he thought they should do things, and they did it because they didn't know anything about the game.

That said though, Akumakon's rules for Pokemon were off-puttingly stupid; and looking at this Con's rules for Brawl (one life, no time or stage restrictions, no mention of their stance of items), they'd be better off just leaving a 4-joypad casual set-up.

The best you can hope for on the day is that no con staff actually care or notice that you use standarised rules, you run a good tournament, and everyone goes home happy.
    I'll look into the blazblue dlc since I know the "wiiaboos" play it a lot more and such.

Those crazy kids who are into importing current generation Nintendo console games from a foreign country *shakes fist*

@rcadeCon is a brand new Irish convention that brings together Anime, Gaming, Music and Movie fans for one awesome weekend in July.

In fairness now that doesn't really scream "don't expect anything but anime related events to be run correctly".

Whatever though, I mostly go to get casuals in with players I wouldn't normally meet (and buy merch) - the competitions at cons are usually a bit of a hash anyway (shoutouts to the name calling guy at Eirtakon last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

If it helps for BBCS, PS3 save files for BBCS can be copied between system for the Mu-unlock. DLC characters still need to be bought but it at least adds one extra character so long as you have the save file off a system that has grinded through the story mode stuff.

In fairness now that doesn't really scream "don't expect anything but anime related events to be run correctly".

Thing is though, in their eyes they ARE running the games tournaments correctly. They're putting on a game, set a few general rules and let people play away until there's a winner. Chances are they don't understand the intricacies of the fighting game world. As I say, there main focus is to run a convention that caters for a bit of everything, for a bit of fun. This isn't a FG tourney, it's an anime convention that's incorperating fighting games for a bit of variety and fun.

From past experience, whoever's running the gaming section will be very open to suggestions on the day. At Eirtakon, Chris was grateful for the SF tourney to be run by DooM and D4RK ONION and everyone was happy. You have to remember that he was also trying to look after several other game set ups at the same time.

As I say, I can't envisage things being a problem on the day. Just mention it to the organiser, shout out your rules and fire away. Chances are ye "serious" FG players are gonna be the only ones bothered by it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Konata wrote: »
    As I say, I can't envisage things being a problem on the day. Just mention it to the organiser, shout out your rules and fire away. Chances are ye "serious" FG players are gonna be the only ones bothered by it anyway :)
    And of course one thing worth remembering is that, no matter what you do when volunteering to run an event for other people, someone is gonna complain!

Well so far in the forums they have no problems with any games rules (except pokemon) being changed once people agree to it. Also they are not really anime, I know half the people there will be anime fans but they have 2 gaming rooms and one anime room, so they will cater for us. I will be there all weekend and am already helping them by running a d&d starter session for them (go on open fire, let me have it) so I know they are sound people and should have no issue with tournaments being run by fans. Only the thing I will point out is that ALL game tournament finals will be held on Sunday afternoon on their main stage so if ya want to take part ya need a weekend tickets. I'm sure I could get them to allow us to record finals with commentary if we wanted.

• Advertisement

There's a lot more than one anime room... and if you include all the anime-related events (Trader's Hall, Cosplay Contests, Movie room, Guest panels, Talks etc. etc.) there're even MORE rooms :P

Good reminder about the finals though - if anyone is expecting to get to the final, you get to pay even more to enter woooo >_> Golden opportunity for yous all to check out all the other stuff going on though ;)

My bad. Only one anime showing room. Place will be full of anime related material (never really got anime so this always annoys me at conventions)

My bad. Only one anime showing room. Place will be full of anime related material (never really got anime so this always annoys me at conventions)

:eek: For shame! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Hey guys, one of the lads from the con got back to me, the time limit rule has been changed, and he's asked me to mail back ASAP with any other rule changes you guys would like to see.

For Blazblue, unbanning Mu and allowing the DLC characters to be used - is there anything else?

@ Dave I dunno how Smash works really but aren't the rules fairly extensive? I can mail back if you give me a ruleset for that but I'm not sure if they'll want to change that from the very casual-seeming rules they have set at the moment.

Just to clarify too lads, sf.ie aren't actually running the tournament brackets, we're just supporting the con by bringing setups (and our own pro selves of course).

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    @ Dave I dunno how Smash works really but aren't the rules fairly extensive?

FOUR STOCK NO ITEMS FINAL DESTINATION

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Right, I was thinking more along the lines of the crazy ledge-grabbing rules I've seen and stuff. :pac: I'll send that along as a suggestion anyway.

So that's three xboxes so far, anyone up for bringing a fourth setup (Kuro Tao?)?

Orim, if you want I can meet you in town before the con and help transporting those monitors.

Works for me. My plan was to go in on Friday night, grab two and bring them in on Saturday. I dunno if they want them for Friday.

Exchange probably won't be open early enough on Saturday to get them in so I figured that's the easiest way to do it.

I was kidding, sortof. :pac:

Rules for a "serious" brawl contest would be any chars, 1v1s, 3 or 4 stock, no items and stages picked from a selection that don't have stupid gimmicks (can't remember them off the top of my head).

Honestly though I wouldn't expect anybody trying to play brawl seriously, whatever kooky rules they set will probably fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I think a proper tournament set of Brawl rules would be too long and complicated for a casual situation like this.

The reason for my comment is that since Smash is such a party game out of the box, you need to put in a lot of rules to make it tournament viable (most of the ones Scavenger XIII mentioned), and the only rule they've put in place is one stock, which seems bizarrely harsh (the equivalent of a "best of one round" Street Fighter tournament).

I'm more confused than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Dreddybajs wrote: »

So that's three xboxes so far, anyone up for bringing a fourth setup (Kuro Tao?)?

Yeah I can arrange that. If you need a TV I can set that up too, but i'll need help hauling it off the bus and across Dublin :3

Advertisement