Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New anti-smoking campaign using subliminals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd say their revenue would go down much further because they'd be increasing the value of smuggling. We'd be looking at a Laffer curve-type effect.

Personally, I'd say it's already over the curve. I know plenty of people who don't pay any tax on tobacco in Ireland right now.. they either go abroad to buy them in bulk, obtain them from those returning from abroad, drive to the north to buy them, or purchase on the black market. I mainly get them from across the border.. and only save about 10% by doing so.
    Are you seriously advocating euthanasia for the physically and mentally disabled?

That's some leap to make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

An industry bigger than the whole economy? That's a big one indeed! :)

Yup.. It's already been mentioned that countries cant afford to do without revenue earned from the sale of tobacco. I imagine that give the tobacco companies some sort of control over those governments, most governments in the world... big industry benefiting from people slowly but surely dying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I can honestly say that that was the weirdest leap of the imagination that I've ever had in response to one of my posts. Bravo, sir!

Had just searched this picture before I read your response :P

aurdal+juvass.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I can see this whole campaign being super ineffective.. if people haven't copped or accepted by this stage that smoking greatly increases your chances of dying younger then it's safe to say that they never will. An all round waste of money.

I'd love to know how much was spent on these poxy ads.. nevermind the subliminals!

At this point there's no real need for Coca-Cola to keep advertising their signature drink is there? I mean if you haven't heard of it at this point it's safe to say you never will. An all round waste of money.

see what i did there? Just because something is considered common knowledge now it does not follow that it's job done. And while i accept that adverts telling you to NOT do something don't work as well as ones telling you to do something it's a bit silly to assume that because you've heard it all before it's time for them to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Smokers are obviously considered fair-game!

Its an anti-smoking ad.

Of course they are fair game. :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement