Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That is so totally gay, omg.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Dudess wrote: »
    The "limited vocabulary" thing is just an unfounded dig - ironically, the person I know who does this the most has qualifications and work experience requiring the exact opposite. Oh and that person is gay, and involved in Pride. :pac:

But the thing is it still doesnt make much sense! the turn of phrase is nonsensical!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Asry wrote: »

Is saying something is 'gay' derogatory towards gay people?

Of course it is.
    Work your way back through the life of that word.
    At some point gay = rubbish, limp, a wash out.
    Though, on occasion I've called the hubby a big girl, does that make me sexist? Maybe...
    Furthermore, if not being able to flip onto ledges in Assassin's Creed is agreed by general consensus to be 'ghey',

I don't recall having such a problem. Suggest to your fella that he practice a bit more. That it could be a user problem... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I can see why people have an objection to it but it doesnt bother me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Tis how I came out to one of my brothers.

Brother: That's a gay looking t-shirt you're wearing.

Me: Well here's a coincidence!

A different brother said it once, then looked at me and apologised :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Daith wrote: »
    A different brother said it once, then looked at me and apologised :-)

aw that's cute! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'd say it is derogatory and wouldnt use it myself. But I'd say gay people have a lot more to worry about rather dumb words at this stage. Still a long way to go before even reaching the level of racism. It takes a strong person to be who they are no matter what people think and thats something to be extremely proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

i HATE it, a word to describe someone that it homosexual [gay] should not be also used as a word to insult someone or as a word that describes something that the speaker things is lame, weird or boring [that's so gay, you fag] even if it's said in a joking, lighthearted way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

allydylan wrote: »
    i HATE it, a word to describe someone that it homosexual [gay] should not be also used as a word to insult someone or as a word that describes something that the speaker things is lame, weird or boring [that's so gay, you fag] even if it's said in a joking, lighthearted way

You think lame is acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Gay used to mean happy.
    Then it meant homosexual.
    Now it means useless, pathetic, uncool etc.

Its not hate-speech. Its change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

When it comes to computer games I'm an equal opertunities insulting machine "ooh you gawd damn gay ass mother fúcking jewish nígger!" is not an uncommon statement to be uttered from my mouth when something goes wrong *nods* true stawree braw. ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

You think lame is acceptable?

no absolutely not, i was just saying that i don't think the word gay which is associated with homosexual people should also be a word that describes something that somebody think it a negative thing , because being homosexual isn't a bad thing

does that make any sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

enda1 wrote: »
    Gay used to mean happy.
    Then it meant homosexual.
    Now it means useless, pathetic, uncool etc.

Its not hate-speech. Its change.

im a happy homo therefore i am gay
    or something to that 'therefore i am' effect

one of the main resons im not offended by people saying something sh*tty is gay - because i think of it as gay rather than Gay
    many words out there with multiple meanings that depend on context.

Advertisement