Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That is so totally gay, omg.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I find it mildly annoying, and if someone I know uses it long-term I'll eventually just let them know that it bugs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Asry wrote: »
    while playing the Xbox
    That's so gay, only PS3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I hate people saying it but I've found it slipping into my vocabulary more often now.
    I've given out to people in the past for using it and they apologise but then continue to use it the following day :rolleyes: I acually outed myself to some people by doing that so it has a nice effect sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

I dont say something is gay I just say ah F*** thats a lot of horse s**t or Dose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

It irks me when people say it aloud, like I almost feel second hand embarrassment for whoever said it. It's definitely a thing that fits a certain type of personality imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

Gay, as in that is so camp, is alright.
    Gay as in that is Gay, is not.

Gay, as in that is so camp, is alright.
    Gay as in that is Gay, is not.

I say the first one all the time. Like listening to Kylie is gay. Not stupid gay but gay gay :P

Aoifums wrote: »
    I say the first one all the time. Like listening to Kylie is gay. Not stupid gay but gay gay :P

lol Kylie Minogue is one artist always associated with the term haha

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think we need compulsory retraining of all our English teachers.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Elaborate?

• Advertisement

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I think we need compulsory retraining of all our English teachers.

That will do nothing. English teachers have almost no bearing on the vocabulary of their students. Books change vocabulary!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Books change vocabulary!
    That's the next problem, there are far too many people who just don't read :(

I know :( I was tempted to call them idiots but then I realised I haven't read a non-school related book since February :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Elaborate?

Just that I think people could be using so many other words. The English language is beautiful and has so many fantastically descriptive words.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know :( I was tempted to call them idiots but then I realised I haven't read a non-school related book since February :rolleyes:
    Me neither :( I miss my books :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Just that I think people could be using so many other words. The English language is beautiful and has so many fantastically descriptive words.
    I do believe that I possess quite a pulchritudinous lexicon.
    If I do say so myself.

June 22nd :pac: I shall overdose on SciFi and Fantasy :D
    Which will do nothing for my vocabulary but will increase my geekdom consisderably :P

June 22nd :pac: I shall overdose on SciFi and Fantasy :D

how will you know ? what are the symptoms ?:p

It's not the teachers fault, the damage is already long done by the time they hit secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

PJelly wrote: »
    I do believe that I possess quite a pulchritudinous lexicon.
    If I do say so myself.

or maybe do a joey from friends and usse the old thesaurus
    now im showing my age....

*idly wonders what the thesaurus has under gay*
    alert, animate, animated, blithe, blithesome, bouncy, brash, carefree, cheerful, cheery, chipper, chirpy, confident, convivial, devil-may-care, festive, forward, frivolous, frolicsome, fun-loving, gamesome, glad, gleeful, hilarious, insouciant, jocund, jolly, jovial, joyful, joyous, keen, lighthearted, lively, merry, mirthful, playful, pleasure-seeking, presuming, pushy, rollicking, self-assertive, sparkling, spirited, sportive, sprightly, sunny, vivacious, wild, zippy

where are all the homosexuals (or pomosexuals!)?! (yes i am joking!)

but all in all.... i defo tend to be sparkling and zippy.......

• Advertisement

how will you know ? what are the symptoms ?:p

I abandon the internet, my knowledge of the geography of various 'verses becomes better than my knowledge of Dublin, I start quoting long arbitrary passages, I keep referencing Lovecraft by accident and I take my friend up on his offer to teach me MTG :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I abandon the internet, my knowledge of the geography of various 'verses becomes better than my knowledge of Dublin, I start quoting long arbitrary passages, I keep referencing Lovecraft by accident and I take my friend up on his offer to teach me MTG :P
    And you get an amazing dungeon tan.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dungeon%20Tan

Depends on the definition of gay you're looking at in said thesaurus;
    Main Entry: gay
    Part of Speech: adjective
    Definition: homosexual
    Synonyms: Sapphic, homoerotic, homophile, lesbian
    Antonyms: heterosexual

PJelly wrote: »

You've seen me. I have one of those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

They did an episode of The Office, american version, called Gay Witch Hunt.
    Its basically a comedy sketch on some of the topics brought up in this thread.
    If you are familiar with The Office you will understand the style and this episode is really cringe inducing, particularly at the end, I had to cover my eyes.

gay-witch-hunt.jpg?et=9WRxl2hJrnf2xGblVMVLHw&nmid=&nmid=88102854&nmid=88102854

You can view it online here
    http://www.videobb.com/video/J8DukXzq4Xmb

There are some absolutely classic lines in it like

Michael Scott: I would never have called Oscar faggy had I known he was gay. You don't call retarded people "retards". That would be in bad taste. You call your friends "retards" when they're acting retarded. And I consider Oscar to be my friend.

Michael Scott: No, that is the fun of this place. I call everybody faggy. Why would anyone find that offensive?
    Toby: Okay, I think Oscar would just like it if you used lame' or something like that.
    Michael Scott: That's what faggy means.

Michael Scott: There could be others. I need to know. I don't want to offend anybody else.
    Dwight Schrute: You could assume everyone is, and not say anything offensive.
    Michael Scott: Yeah. I'm sure everyone would appreciate me treating them like they were gay.

Michael Scott: Did you know that gay used to mean 'happy?' When I was growing up, it meant 'lame.' And now, it means a man who makes love to other men. We're all homos. Homo sapiens.

Creed: In the sixties, I made love to many, many women. Often outdoors. In the mud and the rain. And it's possible a man slipped in. There would be no way of knowing.

The actor who plays Michael Scott says Michael is so unaware that his head would probably explode or something if he suddenly became aware.
    He also says everyone knows a Michael Scott and if they dont think they know a Michael Scott they probably are Michael Scott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Depends on the definition of gay you're looking at in said thesaurus;

i prefer the other one - it reads like the thesaurus was high on jelly beans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Ambersky wrote: »
    The actor who plays Michael Scott says Michael is so unaware that his head would probably explode or something if he suddenly became aware.
    He also says everyone knows a Michael Scott and if they dont think they know a Michael Scott they probably are Michael Scott

The minute oyu said that I realised one of my friends is a total Micheal Scott. Oh wow, it explains her behaviour so much better now. I'm not sure if she'd see it that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

As for people who use the word gay to describe something they think is a bit 'pants' (to steal another of my boyfriend's words, the English bastard), I would really disagree that they're uneducated clods who know no other words. And really it's mean to say that about people when the person we're citing as an example is my boyfriend.

ANYway, I do think there is often a certain irony in its usage, a knowing reference to a stereotype of homosexual men as pansy fairyboys who are pretty useless at everything and have handbag fights etc.

Well. Irony is there unless you're a scumbag who actually really does hate gay people. Then it's bad.

From AH;
    Being attracted to the same sex is Gay

Putting ice cubes in your beer is Ghey
    Superbus wrote: »
    Which is worse:

This thread is gay

This is thread is ghey

Ghey takes the sting out of the tail, ironically.

I'm inclined to agree with them, they are two different words, unfortunately some people don't see that and they're the people we should be looking out for...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The "limited vocabulary" thing is just an unfounded dig - ironically, the person I know who does this the most has qualifications and work experience requiring the exact opposite. Oh and that person is gay, and involved in Pride. :pac:

Advertisement