Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burzynski, A supressed cure for Cancer?

Options
  • 19-06-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Dr. Burzynski claims that his treatment of cancer with Antineoplastons has a much higher success rate than conventional cancer treatments.

The FDA challenged Dr. Burzynski's claims for years and placed many obstacles in the way of full scale trials.
    One of the arguments used was that they couldn't allow one man to own the patent.

The film Burznyski, the movie is free to view online until midnight tonight American time at http://www.burzynskimovie.com/

It's not happy viewing but worth watching.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

i suggest moving this thread to conspiracy theories..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

There's no such thing as cancer.....

EDIT: Taken from wiki: 'The clinical efficacy of antineoplastons combinations for various diseases have been the subject of many such trials by Burzynski and his associates, but these have not produced any clear evidence of efficacy. Oncologists have described these studies as flawed, with one doctor stating that they are "scientific nonsense".[5] In particular, independent scientists have been unable to reproduce the positive results reported in Burzynski's studies.[6]
    There is no convincing evidence from randomized controlled trials in the scientific literature that antineoplastons are useful treatments of cancer and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved these products for the treatment of any disease.[2] The American Cancer Society has stated that there is no evidence that these products have any beneficial effects in cancer and have recommended that people do not buy these products.[7] A 2004 medical review described this treatment as a "disproven therapy".[8]'

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

To be honest wikipedia isn't a great place to quote from as anybody can edit the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

It's not really a conspiracy theory as the FDA has already been proven wrong in court, and the jurys still out on Antineoplastons as all the trials that were allowed insisted on treatment only after conventional therapy had already been used.

Rebel021 wrote: »
    To be honest wikipedia isn't a great place to quote from as anybody can edit the page.

Wiki never lies. ANyone who says otherwise is just suppressing the truth.

Anyway, looks like the American Cancer Society isn't too hot on Antineoplastins as the wiki article states. HERE

• Advertisement

Wiki never lies. ANyone who says otherwise is just suppressing the truth.

Anyway, looks like the American Cancer Society isn't too hot on Antineoplastins as the wiki article states. HERE

I looked at that report, I found a good description of antineoplaston's here;

http://www.sandiego.networkofcare.org/veterans/library/hwdetail.cfm?hwid=ncicdr0000570132

The problem is though that the studies referred to by both links are contentious, there are no official studies on using antineoplaston treatment alone to treat cancer.

Have a look at the film, it might change your mind.

Can't say I'd care to. I'm always highly dubious of any treatment that has the word 'alternative' before it.

It's a far better looking alternative to me, it looks far less destructive on the body.
    If big pharma and the FDA hadn't colluded to slow everything down we would already know how good or bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

big pharma
    Those two words told me all I need to know.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Calibos wrote: »
    Those two words told me all I need to know.

:D
    Yep. The evil that is big pharma.

• Advertisement

Just quoting the film really. The phrase is used a lot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

OP, I suggest you read "Counterknowledge" by Damien Thompson, also "Suckers: How alternative medicine makes fools of us all" by Rose Shapiro.

I have no problem with people using alternative medicines along side regular treatment if they really feel it helps. But it becomes dangerous when quack practitioners make false, unproven and sometimes downright ridiculous claims about their treatments abilities to cure cancer, AIDS, MS and various other horrible afflictions. These claims influence many people to stop their regular treatment and use only alternative therapies and this can be catastrophic, as in the following article

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Homeopathy-Parents-Charged-Over-Baby-Daughter-Glorias-Death-In-Australia/Article/200905115276109

And finally, as Dara O Briain puts it, so eloquently, "Yes alternative medicine has been around for thousands of years, then they tested it. The stuff that was good becvame medicine."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours for scientific scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

There are lots of the holes one could poke in relation to that "documentary", but I'll hold off right now. can I just ask OP why you believe this documentary with such faith?

So say, this guys gets approval, instead of pharma company holding the patent and getting rich off it, we'll have one bloke holding the patent on it and getting rich? Am I right?

As for the treatment itself, bit more research required I think on my part. Anyone here know more about it?

As per usual, proper links and backup required.

I found the story interesting, the only link I have is the one in the first post.

I watched the film and would like to see others opinions on both the treatment and the treatment of Dr. Burzynski himself.

I was unsure where to post it, so put it in After hours. I neither believe or disbelieve and am not trying to promote anything other than discussion.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

They never finished the clinical trials that started in the 90's, I wonder why (genuinely).

Also, the US is not the only place in the world you can conduct a clinical trial, there are much cheaper (and unfortunately much less regulated) places to conduct a study.

If this guys motives were truly altruistic, he could get this treatment licensed in a different country, which would strengthen his case somewhat.

If the FDA were really out to protect pharmaceutical profits (if you asked a person working in the industry they'd have a much different story to tell!) then why are there many trials currently ongoing for generic drugs?

They never finished the clinical trials that started in the 90's, I wonder why (genuinely).

Also, the US is not the only place in the world you can conduct a clinical trial, there are much cheaper (and unfortunately much less regulated) places to conduct a study.

If this guys motives were truly altruistic, he could get this treatment licensed in a different country, which would strengthen his case somewhat.

If the FDA were really out to protect pharmaceutical profits (if you asked a person working in the industry they'd have a much different story to tell!) then why are there many trials currently ongoing for generic drugs?

The film explains why, it really is worth watching.
    Although it is representing one side of the story it does allow the other side to be heard.
    I don't think Burzynski has ever claimed that altruism is his motive.
    It is being used in other countries, I think that Japan is the most advanced with studies presently.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The film explains why, it really is worth watching.
    Although it is representing one side of the story it does allow the other side to be heard.
    I don't think Burzynski has ever claimed that altruism is his motive.
    It is being used in other countries, I think that Japan is the most advanced with studies presently.

In that case I really look forward to the results of those trials. But sorry I can't get behind any novel untested therapy, you can kill people if you don't test things properly first.

In that case I really look forward to the results of those trials. But sorry I can't get behind any novel untested therapy, you can kill people if you don't test things properly first.

According to Burzynski and many documented cancer survivors the treatment has been used with greater success than radiation and chemotherapy for decades. It would have completed trials long ago if not for the massive interference of the FDA, the Texas medical board, Elan and others.

In all but one of the cases that the FDA have taken against Burzynski, the efficacy of the treatment was not used as the reason for trying to indite him. They tried to question that in the first case and lost.

Dr Galen wrote: »
    There are lots of the holes one could poke in relation to that "documentary", but I'll hold off right now. can I just ask OP why you believe this documentary with such faith?

So say, this guys gets approval, instead of pharma company holding the patent and getting rich off it, we'll have one bloke holding the patent on it and getting rich? Am I right?

As for the treatment itself, bit more research required I think on my part. Anyone here know more about it?

As per usual, proper links and backup required.

Have you had a chance to look at this issue yet?

I'm interested to know what are the 'holes' you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

"In all but one of the cases that the FDA have taken against Burzynski, the efficacy of the treatment was not used as the reason for trying to indite him. They tried to question that in the first case and lost."

are you suggesting that a court accepted the treatment was effective? on what basis? i.e. they can only have concluded that on the basis of trials/tests. Just curious, haven't seen the film yet

RGDATA! wrote: »
    "In all but one of the cases that the FDA have taken against Burzynski, the efficacy of the treatment was not used as the reason for trying to indite him. They tried to question that in the first case and lost."

are you suggesting that a court accepted the treatment was effective? on what basis? i.e. they can only have concluded that on the basis of trials/tests. Just curious, haven't seen the film yet

It appears so, the medical trials subsequently undertaken were falsified to discredit Burzynski. Everyone on that trial died or were murdered depending on your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Everyone on that trial died or were murdered depending on your view.

So all the patients are dead but he claims it's better than standard treatment :confused:

So all the patients are dead but he claims it's better than standard treatment :confused:

Yes all the patients died in that trial but they were under the control of one of the American cancer societies led by Dr. Michael Freidman not Dr. Burzynski.

They purposefully treated patients with dosages that were far below the level which Burzynski advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

confused now. would be interested to read something about this original case/trial where the treatment was accepted/'proven' as effective.

RGDATA! wrote: »
    confused now. would be interested to read something about this original case/trial where the treatment was accepted/'proven' as effective.

The original trial was a federal grand jury, where testimony was taken from patients who had, or were, undergoing treatment with antineoplastons. The FDA subsequently never allowed this type of testimony again because it had been so badly discredited by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

Must watch documentary. Rated 9.4 On IMDB

Dr. Burzynski cures cancer in the late 70's early 80's. He is subsequently ridiculed for his work by the Texas Medical Board and the Food and Drug Administration amongst other agencies. They tried to revoke his license, assassinate his character and sling him in prison. Explained better below.

(First 30 or so mins covers documentation and personal stories, then gets into the really good stuff).

It's all about the money.

Now lads, before you go to your usual debunk hangouts and skeppie forums,watch the bloody documentary. :)
    Burzynski, the Movie is the story of a medical doctor and Ph.D biochemist named Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski who won the largest, and possibly the most convoluted and intriguing legal battle against the Food & Drug Administration in American history.
    His victorious battles with the United States government were centered around Dr. Burzynski's gene-targeted cancer medicines he discovered in the 1970's called Antineoplastons, which have currently completed Phase II FDA-supervised clinical trials in 2009 and could begin the final phase of FDA testing in 2011–barring the ability to raise the required $150 million to fund the final phase of FDA clinical trials.

When Antineoplastons are approved, it will mark the first time in history a single scientist, not a pharmaceutical company, will hold the exclusive patent and distribution rights on a paradigm-shifting medical breakthrough.

Antineoplastons are responsible for curing some of the most incurable forms of terminal cancer. Various cancer survivors are presented in the film who chose these medicines instead of surgery, chemotherapy or radiation - with full disclosure of medical records to support their diagnosis and recovery - as well as systematic (non-anecdotal) FDA-supervised clinical trial data comparing Antineoplastons to other available treatments—which is published within the peer-reviewed medical literature.

One form of cancer - diffuse, intrinsic, childhood brainstem glioma has never before been cured in any scientifically controlled clinical trial in the history of medicine. Antineoplastons hold the first cures in history - dozens of them. URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12718563?dopt=Abstract"]ANP - PubMed 2003[/URL URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16484713?dopt=Abstract"]ANP - PubMed 2006[/URL URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17278121"]Rad & other - PubMed 2008[/URL URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15565574"]Chemo/Rad - PubMed 2005[/URL

This documentarytakes the audience through the treacherous, yet victorious, 14-year journey both Dr. Burzynski and his patients have had to endure in order to obtain FDA-approved clinical trials of Antineoplastons.

Dr. Burzynski resides and practices medicine in Houston, Texas. He was able to initially produce and administer his discovery without FDA-approval from 1977-1995 because the state of Texas at this time did not require that Texas physicians be required to adhere to Federal law in this situation. This law has since been changed.

As with anything that changes current-day paradigms, Burzynski's ability to successfully treat incurable cancer with such consistency has baffled the industry. Ironically, this fact had prompted numerous investigations by the Texas Medical Board, who relentlessly took Dr. Burzynski as high as the state supreme court in their failed attempt to halt his practices.

Likewise, the Food and Drug Administration engaged in four Federal Grand Juries spanning over a decade attempting to indict Dr. Burzynski, all of which ended in no finding of fault on his behalf. Finally, Dr. Burzynski was indicted in their 5th Grand Jury in 1995, resulting in two federal trials and two sets of jurors finding him not guilty of any wrongdoing. If convicted, Dr. Burzynski would have faced a maximum of 290 years in a federal prison and $18.5 million in fines.
    However, what was revealed a few years after Dr. Burzynski won his freedom, helps to paint a more coherent picture regarding the true motivation of the United States government's relentless persecution of Stanislaw Burzynski, M.D., Ph.D.

Note: When Antineoplastons are approved for public use, it will allow a single scientist to hold an exclusive license to manufacture and sell these medicines on the open market—before they become generic—leaving PhRMA absent in profiting from the most effective gene-targeted cancer treatment the world has ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

Nice one. Heard about this guy. And Cancer is indeed very big business.
    Am off to get some popcorn....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I heard about other cures. One being the alkaline diet. The idea behind that is that cancer cannot survive in a alkaline body. It also helps weight loss etc.
    Alkaline Diet and Cancer - Cancer Cells Cannot Live In An Alkaline Environment
    By Will Johnson

Ever wondered why the heart never gets a cancer. The heart might get affected eventually by cancer of any other part of the body but we never hear of cancer of the heart. This is because the heart never gets cancer. Alkaline diet is perhaps the only permanent way to prevent and rid oneself of cancer.

Let us understand what causes cancer and how an alkaline diet can prevent it. Each cell in our body takes in oxygen, nutrients and glucose while throws out toxins. These cells are protected by the immune system. But as the body gets acidic the immune system gets overpowered by the toxins and the cell looses its capacity to take in oxygen and thus ferments. This cell gets cancer affected and is lost. The next question is can cancer be prevented and cured by consuming a diet with less acid and more alkaline. Cancer cells lie dormant in a ph of 7.4 but as the body gets alkalized higher and the ph level reaches 8.4 these malignant cells die off. So the answer to cancer lies in an extremely alkaline diet. With the right consumption leading to a high alkaline body ph the cancer cells cannot live in that environment and die off.

Cancer cells being anaerobic cannot live in oxygen. They can only thrive in very low oxygen conditions. When the ph of the body is maintained by consuming an alkaline diet the immune system of the body stays strong. This leads to the cells getting enough oxygen and discarding their toxin waste. Cancer will neither thrive nor take birth under such circumstances.

How does an alkaline diet prevent cancer? Such a diet leads to a high alkaline body ph. This high alkaline body ph results in alkaline tissues in the body. Alkaline tissues hold 20 times more oxygen than acidic tissues. Cancer cannot live in an oxygenated atmosphere. If the cells are oxygen rich they will prevent cancer. Therefore while an acidic tissue will be an ideal ground for cancer to develop as well as spread, an alkaline tissue will destroy a cancer cell. Having a lot of green vegetables and fruits along with alkaline water can save you from cancer. To give your body the best alkaline/acidic balance requires one to eat foods that are highly alkalizing while avoiding the acidifying foods.

An alkaline diet is very beneficial in fighting many diseases apart from cancer. Alkaline supplements are good ways to include alkaline food in your diet. Over cooking of vegetables leads to their nutrients being destroyed. Alkaline supplements make sure one gets enough alkalizing foods in a day. Also alkaline water is a good alternative to ordinary water. So if you want your body to be cancer free as well as healthy and energetic adopt an alkaline diet and make it your way of life.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Alkaline-Diet-and-Cancer---Cancer-Cells-Cannot-Live-In-An-Alkaline-Environment&id=458737

Another was something called miracle mineral solution. That supercharges your immune system I think and fights a range of diseases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

profitius wrote: »
    Another was something called miracle mineral solution. That supercharges your immune system I think and fights a range of diseases.
    But people might know it better as it's chemical name.
    Bleach.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm220756.htm

Advertisement