Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Austin wrestle another match?

Options
  • 18-06-2011 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling WWE may look for Austin to have one last match at next years Wrestlemania to coincide with Rock and Cena. I know his neck may still be an issue but do you think it could happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Why_So_Serious?

CM Punk is meant too be strongly pushing for a match with him, and in pretty much everybody's eyes it'll be the only gud match austin will ever have again, unless of course rock wants another match there last match was great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Personally i would doubt it. He's had plenty of oppertunities to do it since he retired, so i don't see why he would do it now. If he did, it'd be similar to Bret Hart and Vince. H e wouldn't risk his wellbeing enough to have a *** match let alone a ***** one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Austin seemed to have the itch after being in the ring for Tough Enough. He wants to do more work in the ring (bumping) during the next season. He also says physically he has 4 more years full time Wrestling IF HE HAD TO. I kind of doubt that but I do get the impression he wants to wrestle Punk and kind of dislikes the memory of his last match - not the match itself but nearly dying the night before, the anxiety etc.

You have to remember he was going to return semi regular after that Taboo Tuesday. But told WWE to get stuffed when they told him he was jobbing to Jonathan Coachman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

With the right guy to carry him (aka Punk), he could come back and not taint his legacy at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The two of them are dying to have a match, I'd love to see it for Summerslam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

WWE seems to be playing with the idea of Miz for Austin as well, they had it night after mania and again last week, would be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

jmolloy wrote: »
    WWE seems to be playing with the idea of Miz for Austin as well, they had it night after mania and again last week, would be interesting

Miz doesn't deserve the rub off of working with Austin, whereas Punk does.. Especially since Austin in his last run never really put anyone over or passed the torch to any current WWE wrestler, and if anyone in WWE deserves that it's Punk IMHO..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Say Rock couldn't do WrestleMania 28; and WWE changed gears and pushed Austin vs Punk as the main event of Mania 28. What kind of buyrates would they get?

At a minimum WrestleMania gets say 750,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Punk v Austin is a logical booking were they to ever agree on the match. Straight Edge v Beer Swilling Texas Rattlesnake.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yeah, it practically writes itself. Is Punk the best talker in WWE today? (not counting Austin, lol). One's a veteran babyface, biggest of all time; and the other's a newer heel, best in the biz right now; with the opposite gimmick (Straight Edge and Beer Drinker). Dammit, this can't be just an IWC wet dream, this is a perfect matchup!

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah, it practically writes itself. Is Punk the best talker in WWE today? (not counting Austin, lol). One's a veteran babyface, biggest of all time; and the other's a newer heel, best in the biz right now; with the opposite gimmick (Straight Edge and Beer Drinker). Dammit, this can't be just an IWC wet dream, this is a perfect matchup!

I can see the logic in it and I'd be quite psyched to see it happening but if Punk keeps dragging his heels on a contract WWE will hardly give him the big payday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

I think Punk's the best all around talent since Shawn Michaels (who I consider the greatest of all time) so if Austin was going to have another match, I'd say it should be with Punk too.

I've never been a big Austin fan but when Austin was on the Raw during Punk's SES run (if I'm recalling correctly) it was baffling that they never had anything to say to each other. He was Smackdown, but Punk had a dark match with Mysterio that night instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If they want to shove Miz towards him so much (I'd still like to see that at some point anyway), then at least have Punk thrown in as the backup for when Miz gets his ass handed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Austin said his biggest concern in his last match was not to "stink the joint out". So he won't go back if he thinks he's not able to put on a great match. I'd love to see it though I must admit, would be a great feud and would do wonders for Punk.

Austin's comeback shouldn't be as a backup for Rock v Cena. Summerslam would be a possibilty maybe as a tester to see how this generational feud plays out ahead of Rock V Cena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Miz vs Austin doesn't work on any level IMO.. why would they logically fued?? At least with Punk there's an obvious dichotomy between the two, and when Austin eventually pours beer over Punk, it'll be one of the greatest WWE moments ever.. If it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

Miz vs Austin doesn't work on any level IMO.. why would they logically fued??

Well I suppose something could be done out of Tough Enough... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Miz vs Austin doesn't work on any level IMO.. why would they logically fued?? At least with Punk there's an obvious dichotomy between the two, and when Austin eventually pours beer over Punk, it'll be one of the greatest WWE moments ever.. If it happens!

Miz was a failed Tough Enough contestant. Steve Austin is now the Tough Enough host. Lots can be done with that dichotomy.

Although I'd obviously favour a Punk/Austin feud as I've brought it up loads of times on here. It would be one of my ultimate dream matches, I remember suggesting it on the dream match thread we had here a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

I would have to say

Punk v Austin > Rock v Cena.

Every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

having punk v austin on the same card as cena v rock would be quite awesome for the older fan. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Austin Vs Triple H is another viable option for next Wrestlemania if Austin does indeed want one more match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Charisteas wrote: »
    Austin Vs Triple H is another viable option for next Wrestlemania if Austin does indeed want one more match.

I get the impression they dont get along.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Say Rock couldn't do WrestleMania 28; and WWE changed gears and pushed Austin vs Punk as the main event of Mania 28. What kind of buyrates would they get?

At a minimum WrestleMania gets say 750,000.

You also have to remember they will have Taker going for 20-0 and a possible Sin Cara v rey match and probably Ryder v Masters so I fully expect it to get 1 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Austins thrash-talk is enough to keep him in the ring. But as for matches, i don't think he wants to risk it with that neck of his

• Registered Users Posts: 36,180 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Austin - Punk would have me buying WM anyway.

Rock/Cena doesn't.

read into that what you will.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

having austin get a win over punk would ease the blow of seeing the rock job to cena. Which will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Punk, Regal and Austin were tweeting about it last night. Regal started it sayin they should just fight and get it over with. Austin replied "surely you dont want me to completely decimate Punk on a worldwide platform?"... after a while of just jokin between austin and Punk austin said he was going to bed. Punk tweeted "Remember, Steven, everybody at one time or another, goes to sleep"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GetTheFFOut

May or may not have been a tease but During the Austin/Punk segment on RAW last week Punk said "MOST of your best moments are behind you"

• Registered Users Posts: 85,868 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Forget Miz, Punk V SCSA would be awesome maybe at this year's Summerslam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Forget Miz, Punk V SCSA would be awesome maybe at this year's Summerslam

or wrestlemania

i would absolutely love it if they started the build to it now - austin and punk are two of the most talented wrestlers and talkers in the business - if they played their cards right on this it could be the biggest selling ppv of all time 0 eh wrestling wise obviously

Advertisement