Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

met office say 40 % chance of colder than avg winter, 30% avg winter,30% mild winter, encouraging i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

bb1234567 wrote: »
    met office say 40 % chance of colder than avg winter, 30% avg winter,30% mild winter, encouraging i suppose!

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Whose met office? And realistically, thats a ridiculous statement, as it basically tells you nothing. It's practically a statement of the likelihood of winter weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So there is a 60% chance of no real sustained cold weather then. Not that I would read anything into such numbers.

mike65 wrote: »
    So there is a 60% chance of no real sustained cold weather then. Not that I would read anything into such numbers.

aw it sucks when you put it like that:p

• Advertisement

Whose met office? And realistically, thats a ridiculous statement, as it basically tells you nothing. It's practically a statement of the likelihood of winter weather.

i agree with you, just posting what i heard.:)

baraca wrote: »
    Link?

A poster on another forum posted it,this is what he said-''We went to see the Met Office. Their prediction for winter? 40% chance of colder than average, 30% chance of average, 30% chance of milder than average. What a total waste of time and money. Thoroughly useless!''
    I asked him to post a link.I'll post it if he replies.

Anyone notice this trend..Temps wise.
    Winter 08/09- Below avg.
    Spring 09- Above avg *(but not actually certain about this one)
    Summer 09-Below avg.
    Autumn 09-Above avg.
    Winter 09/10 -Below avg.
    Spring 2010- above avg.
    Summer 2010-Below avg.
    Autumn 2010-Above avg.
    Winter 2010/2011 -Below avg.
    Spring 2011- Above avg.
    Summer 2011- Below avg.
    Autumn 2011-Above avg.
    Winter 2011/2012- Supposed to be below avg.
    Hardly a coincidence? Each season is below/above avg one after another year on year since winter 08/09:eek: very weird, or just coincidence?Correct me if wrong on any of the seasons.

Well its encouraging because just a while ago the met were saying a cold winter was unlikely or they werent expecting winter or something ,didnt they?So its good now they think a cold winter is more likely than a mild or avg one! But I personally dont care what the met have to say, just thought some people might be interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet.

It's about 170 hours out so kinda FI but still interesting...

352fal3.gif

16263oi.gif

Thats violent storm force sustained winds on the southwest coast there. You could have hurricane force gusts with that if that came off.

Of course the track/intensity will change a lot and this could even be gone completely on the next run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet.

It's about 170 hours out so kinda FI but still interesting...

352fal3.gif

16263oi.gif

Thats violent storm force sustained winds on the southwest coast there. You could have hurricane force gusts with that if that came off.

Of course the track/intensity will change a lot and this could even be gone completely on the next run.

The Gfs has a thing of winding up deep low's, the ECMWF has it on a more nw track towards Scotland and not as deep

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Anyone notice this trend..Temps wise.
    Winter 08/09- Below avg.
    Spring 09- Above avg *(but not actually certain about this one)
    Summer 09-Below avg.
    Autumn 09-Above avg.
    Winter 09/10 -Below avg.
    Spring 2010- above avg.
    Summer 2010-Below avg.
    Autumn 2010-Above avg.
    Winter 2010/2011 -Below avg.
    Spring 2011- Above avg.
    Summer 2011- Below avg.
    Autumn 2011-Above avg.
    Winter 2011/2012- Supposed to be below avg.
    Hardly a coincidence? Each season is below/above avg one after another year on year since winter 08/09:eek: very weird, or just coincidence?Correct me if wrong on any of the seasons.

OOOH bb I like this... we CAN'T break the cycle!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Celtic Snow Man

Caff Caff wrote: »
    Don't bother... there will be something on youtube soon I'd say. Also, he has been commenting on different sites if you want to do a wee search of Piers Corbyn on Google. He maintains what he says which is what I posted. Trends on metoecief and netweather.tv are somewhat consistent, of late, with his predictions. But... I will say... SAVE YOUR MONEY!! What's wrong with waiting and seeing what happens. His prediction will still be there to criticise or praise so let's see what happens.... booom!!!!

Cheers for getting back. I am new to this page. I loved the snow over the past couple of years and am really hoping for more of the same. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

The Gfs has a thing of winding up deep low's, the ECMWF has it on a more nw track towards Scotland and not as deep

Are you for real !!!!!!! Hoping for good / calm weather on the 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Heyes wrote: »
    Are you for real !!!!!!! Hoping for good / calm weather on the 26th

Yes im for real, think you might want to read the post again:) EMWF has the deep low avoiding us, the GSF hasnt

Yes im for real, think you might want to read the post again:) EMWF has the deep low avoiding us, the GSF hasnt

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "EMWF has the deep low avoiding us, the GSF hasnt" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

ecm500.240.png
    He means the Low Pressure passes to our Northwest in the ECM charts which would be a more realistic outcome.

redsunset wrote: »
    ecm500.240.png
    He means the Low Pressure passes to our Northwest in the ECM charts which would be a more realistic outcome.

Okay thanks, so its more play by ear (as per usual) at the moment. This wkend is suppose to be a bit wild though

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aquarian_fire

I heard it's meant to be quite cold alright, but it seems to be warm enough at the moment so it might not be as bad as some people were originally predicting. Then again, the weather has surprised us all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭damino

It would be great to get snow early again this year. Some of the leaves were still on the trees when the snow came first last year like in the first photo taken last year. :)

P1010012[1].JPG

P1010005[1].JPG

• Advertisement

damino wrote: »
    It would be great to get snow early again this year. Some of the leaves were still on the trees when the snow came first last year like in the first photo taken last year. :)

P1010012[1].JPG

P1010005[1].JPG[/QR
    Really great photos, are you a photographer or something because theyre really good!

damino wrote: »

P1010012[1].JPG

P1010005[1].JPG[/QR
    Really great photos, are you a photographer or something because theyre really good!

they are fantastic photos !!

I feel like yelling this VERY LOUDLY - there is no cold weather for as far as can be plausibly ascertained!

I feel like yelling this VERY LOUDLY - there is no cold weather for as far as can be plausibly ascertained!

And i feel like yelling this very loudly, WE KNOW

Some people don't seem to though. It should be a sticky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Don't suggest that! I have to scroll to the bottom of the page just to see the active threads as it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ECMWF run would agree! Shows average to mild for the next 8 to 10 days:

181684.gif

Please god no more stickies.

Indeed! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Taken from Freezing Ireland facebook page..

Peter O'Donnell's Latest update for winter :)
    Developments so far are generally positive from my perspective, and point to the potential for major cold and snow around mid-January after a few less robust efforts likely in December.
    The "cold pole" is definitely over on the Pacific side of the hemisphere at present, but that has its benefits for later cold on your side, since there is a more accommodating region over this way to create significant arctic high pressure. Then what is needed is some mechanism to push that over the pole towards north-central Russia where it can begin to influence Scandinavia. I foresee that being the general outcome over 30-60 days as retrogression begins to develop in December, then height building follows in western North America (right now we have a raging subarctic jet coming in here and it's cold/moist).
    So like I said originally, patience -- this winter won't all come and go before New Years, in fact, it might not even start really until after New Years, with one possible exception, I think about one week of December will be wintry and that most likely around 15th to 21st give or take a few days.
    So the bottom line remains this -- there seems to be a very good chance for major winter weather to come in January, and if that turns out to be too fast then February has been known to be just as good if not better, but personally I am still thinking January is "the" month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement