Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosis

Options
  • 16-06-2011 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi All

I'm considering going down the hypnosis route in order to help with my weightloss, just wondering if anybody has tried this route and what you thought about it.

I'm really only interested in hearing about peoples experiences with hypnosis, and any recommendations that they might have for therapists in the Dublin/Kildare area, so for those intent on telling me about weightwatchers, unislim, atkins, gyms etc please save your typing and fingers.

I need help in breaking the emotional cycle of over eating and addressing the triggers for it.

Thanks
    PP:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

There was a thread on gastric band hypnosis a few weeks back, The op seemed a bit unsure if the guy offering it was legit or not. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71796419

I don't know anything about it or whether it works. I was watching a Channel 4 programme Embarrassing fat bodies last week and one of the doctors reccommended that one of the women get gastric band hypnosis to aid with her weight loss before she could undergo an operation. By the end of the programme she had lost some weight but it seemed to be down to her changing her diet and also exercising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I've had hypnosis because I was overdoing the sweets and chocolate, and it worked. I haven't eaten sweets, chocolate or biscuits since. But it worked by making me unable to tolerate any form of sweetness at all. Like white wine or Borocca vitamin drink. I've only recently been able to eat fruit again.

It didn't result in weight loss, because when I was hungry, I just ate other stuff.

From what I can gather, hypnosis works best when you are extremely specific about what you want. It's more effective in an all-or-nothing situation, like stopping smoking or hating sweetness, than a general "you will eat less" thing.

And of course, it only works if you work with it. I know that if I just made myself eat a couple of biscuits, I'd enjoy them, and would keep keeping them. The trick is to not eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

EileenG wrote: »
    I've had hypnosis because I was overdoing the sweets and chocolate, and it worked. I haven't eaten sweets, chocolate or biscuits since. But it worked by making me unable to tolerate any form of sweetness at all. Like white wine or Borocca vitamin drink. I've only recently been able to eat fruit again.

It didn't result in weight loss, because when I was hungry, I just ate other stuff.

From what I can gather, hypnosis works best when you are extremely specific about what you want. It's more effective in an all-or-nothing situation, like stopping smoking or hating sweetness, than a general "you will eat less" thing.

And of course, it only works if you work with it. I know that if I just made myself eat a couple of biscuits, I'd enjoy them, and would keep keeping them. The trick is to not eat them.

I'm sure you have been asked this before, but would you mind PMing me or telling me the name of the hypnotherapist you used. I have wanted to try this, but as far as I know the industry isn't well regulated.

Thanks
    Dinkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PrincessPixie

So the bottom line for me is, I want to eat like a normal healthy person who isn't hung up on food. I don't want to diet ever again, I just want to have a healthy relationship with food not use it as a crutch. Eat normal amounts and feel happy to stop eathing when I'm satisfied

Well I had my first session yesterday..
    Remarkable session I think I identified where the emotional "snag" begins.
    We also 'readjusted my hunger levels'. This defines when you want to eat. 1 is starving 10 is too full. I would normally start grazing at a 4 and not stop till 11. Now working in the scale of 3 and 7. Kinda like how a healthy slim person would eat.

Anyway after the session I felt amazing, for the first time in over a year I actually felt really in control, with a clear vision of what I want to achive.

Today while out to lunch I really was drawn to good quality healthy options rather than the ususal crap, I went for a healthy chicken salad sandwich, I did have a 1/2 bag of crisps on the side and was quite happy with that (usually I'd have the full bag and probably pinch some from DH too).

So is it working, well very early days. DH just brought me a cuppa and some choc and I've sent the choc away as I really don't want it. that is a first. So stay tuned....

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Good luck with it Princess Pixie: would be very interested in seeing how you get on.

• Advertisement

thanks, that feeling of being in control has stayed with me, ok I know 3 days WOW still early but I still feel good.

Had a cuppa last night and I was very content with 1 digestive with the cuppa, just sitting there and nibbling not lobbing them into my gob a biscuit to a bite.

I'm keeping a diary too, so I know I'm aware so looking forward to weighing my self next month and hoping to see a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Hi PrincessPixie

Just wondering how this is going? And who did you go to in the end?

well, got through the weekend, 1 bar of choc, small cadbury bar (not the kiddies). chinese food on Friday but way less than what I'd normally have. No desire to snack or binge, so still going ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hey,

CAn you tell me who you went to? I have been looking into this to compliment my new excercise regime. Need to eat more veg and less sugary crap.

cheers

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lilyjclare

I would be really interested in getting the name of the hypothnist you went to, please pm me if you dont mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

<snip> no advertising please

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Could you please PM me the contact info? How are you getting on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irishboyrudy

Could you please pm me his/her name and contact details, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cynical Apathy

For those who are interested in hypnotherapy, be careful who you go to. If they start talking about channeling maridian energy or claiming to be psychic... run a mile.
    Maridian energy is this make believe force that is claimed runs through all living things, it can't be proven though. And for some reason hypnotherapy is falling into the category of these bogus alternate medicines. Hypnotherapy and it's positive effects are scientifically validated.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

So the bottom line for me is, I want to eat like a normal healthy person who isn't hung up on food. I don't want to diet ever again, I just want to have a healthy relationship with food not use it as a crutch. Eat normal amounts and feel happy to stop eathing when I'm satisfied

We also 'readjusted my hunger levels'. This defines when you want to eat. 1 is starving 10 is too full. I would normally start grazing at a 4 and not stop till 11. Now working in the scale of 3 and 7. Kinda like how a healthy slim person would eat.

Anyway after the session I felt amazing, for the first time in over a year I actually felt really in control, with a clear vision of what I want to achive.

Today while out to lunch I really was drawn to good quality healthy options rather than the ususal crap, I went for a healthy chicken salad sandwich, I did have a 1/2 bag of crisps on the side and was quite happy with that (usually I'd have the full bag and probably pinch some from DH too).

So is it working, well very early days. DH just brought me a cuppa and some choc and I've sent the choc away as I really don't want it. that is a first. So stay tuned....

I'm going this Saturday. I've been battling obesity for 10 years and my efforts have only made things worse. After this, I'll have run out of ideas.

Donnaghm wrote: »
    I'm going this Saturday. I've been battling obesity for 10 years and my efforts have only made things worse. After this, I'll have run out of ideas.

FYI - I've lost 3 stone since January thanks to Hypnosis. No bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

FYI - I've lost 3 stone since January thanks to Hypnosis. No bother at all.

Well done!!

I tried hypnosis, but it didn't work for me. However, I think it was because I couldn't concentrate during the hypnosis. I kept wanting to open my eyes and couldn't relax.

Dinkie wrote: »
    Well done!!

I tried hypnosis, but it didn't work for me. However, I think it was because I couldn't concentrate during the hypnosis. I kept wanting to open my eyes and couldn't relax.

Some people aren't susceptible to it. I was according to him anyway. I don't feel the need to gorge myself in times of stress anymore. I do have the odd relapse though. But no where near the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Ok I know this is an oldish one but i am sure this will come up again anyway :-)
    But it worked by making me unable to tolerate any form of sweetness at all. Like white wine or Borocca vitamin drink. I've only recently been able to eat fruit again.
    It didn't result in weight loss, because when I was hungry, I just ate other stuff. .

Tbh sounds like the guy did not know what he is doing can you pm me his name / link to a website ??

It depends on what the treatment is for but yes in your case it sounds like being specific would of been the way to go
    Dinkie wrote: »
    I have wanted to try this, but as far as I know the industry isn't well regulated.
    It is not regulated by a public body, the schools that teach it normally have their own system of "regulation" ask if some one has insurence if they do then they are some what regulted by the insurence company

Some people aren't susceptible to it..
    Hypnosis is a state that everyone enters into about 20 times a day any one that is willing with enough time can be hypnotised

• Registered Users Posts: 9 S ireland 2013

Hi can you please PM me the name of the hypnotist you seen, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Hi,could you pm me the hypothnist's details.Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Hi folks,

Do we have any more people with testimony? Am very interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mise_me

Hi,could you pm me the hypothnist's details.Thanks

Advertisement