Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gastric Band Hypnosis

Options
  • 20-04-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

This morning, I found a website for gastric band hypnosis (I don't think that I am allowed to give the website or name on here ) and logged my details. Within 10 minutes I was contacted by an eager young guy who spent almost 45 minutes on the phone taking my details and explaining the process.

To save anyone the agony of going through this lengthy telephone experience, here is what I have learned:

Basically, there are 6 one-to-one sessions. The fist session will last for 3 hours the others will be two hours which add up to a total of 13 hours therapy.

1st & 2nd Session = Identify and breakdown personal bad eating habits and remove from your sub conscious.

3rd & 4th Session = Identify and remove emotional attachments to food

5th & 6th Session = Convice at subconscious level that the band has been put in.

Sessions are encouraged on a consecutive weekly basis. If an emergency comes up and you cannot make it, a session can be rescheduled but it is recommended that no more than one week is missed.

Follow up 'maintenance' sessions are available too if you feel that after a few months that the impact is wearing off. Or, if your therapist feels that you need them.

Now for the really scary part. The cost: €250 per session which means that the overall cost is €1,500

They take €100 booking deposit, then €250 must be paid for each session as you take it. The final session is charged at €150 as your €100 booking free is included in this .

The follow up 'maintenance' sessions are charged at the full price of €250

Something about this whole set up raised alarm bells in my head:

1. The guy from the office called me within 10 minutes of me registering an enquiry (desperation?)

2. The guy was unconfident and nervous. When asked questions eg. Who are the hypnotherapists registered with? He sounded very shaken, started to stammer and kept repeating that they were qualified and that they would never do anything unprofessional. (I was unsure at this stage if he was trying to convince me or himself)

3. Half way through the call, we were cut off. The guy called me back saying that his credit had run out. What sort of business uses pay as you go phones?

4. When I said that I thought the cost was prohibitive, he offered me a reduction of €500 if I would appear on their promotional testimonial film (how can they offer this when they don't know anything about me?)

Now, my question to you:
    (1) Have any of you heard of anyone who has actually had this done?
    (2) Why am I still tempted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

This has to be the most bizarre thread to date. Gastric band hypnosis?? "Convice at subconscious level that the band has been put in." Come on OP use a tiny bit of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

OP, it sounds very much like a scam. I wouldn't go near it in a fit.

The reason as to why you're tempted may be because you are seeking help to lose weight I'm guessing? If so, have a read of the sticky here in the Nutrition & Diet forum - Nutrition 101 and also post up what your daily diet is like and ask for advice on where you could make changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Hmmmm, that couldn't sound more dubious even if they offered a tin of striped paint for signing up with them.

It was an interesting concept until
    3. Half way through the call, we were cut off. The guy called me back saying that his credit had run out.

I can picture a poor lad sitting in his Mammys kitchen with his laptop watching Dr Phil then the computer pings with a Customers details. Out comes his mobile given to him by "The Therapist" and his set of cue cards to speak from (that picture on the website (if it's the first one in Google) of their "therapists" is definitely a stock photo).

I'm in the opinion that its dodgy but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Davei141 wrote: »
    This has to be the most bizarre thread to date. Gastric band hypnosis?? "Convice at subconscious level that the band has been put in." Come on OP use a tiny bit of common sense.
    The concept didn't seem that crazy. They hypnotize you into believing that you cannot eat large portions of food, therefore you do not put it on your plate. Sort of like the way we don't fill a bucket sized container of water when we are thirsty as we know we could never drink that volume of liquid. (my analogy not theirs)
    My doubts are about if they are actually qualified or if it is a take the money and run set up.

I think I may have posted on here by mistake. I meant to post on health and fitness not nutrition and diet. And, yes, I do have weight to lose. I had gained in the last couple of years while working and studying left me no time to exercise, then this year I stopped smoking and put on even more. I need to do something quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This has bollox written all over it. Never mind the lack of professionalism in the scammer, the idea behind it is bolloxology of the highest order.

There is a huge industry built around quick and easy fixes for people who are desperately trying to lose weight. They take advantage of people's desperation and gullibility to make easy money. They are unregulated and unsupervised.

There are professionals who help with weight-loss and these are called dieticians and can advise on what to eat to become healthier. These aren't to be confused with nutritionists who, unlike dieticians, are unregulated.

As with anyone trying to lose weight, the formula for everyone is usually "Eat better, exercise more".

Thanks OP for informing us of this scam. It's always good to point out the various quackery masquerading as medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

annascott wrote: »
    The concept didn't seem that crazy. They hypnotize you into believing that you cannot eat large portions of food, therefore you do not put it on your plate. Sort of like the way we don't fill a bucket sized container of water when we are thirsty as we know we could never drink that volume of liquid. (my analogy not theirs)
    My doubts are about if they are actually qualified or if it is a take the money and run set up.

I think I may have posted on here by mistake. I meant to post on health and fitness not nutrition and diet. And, yes, I do have weight to lose. I had gained in the last couple of years while working and studying left me no time to exercise, then this year I stopped smoking and put on even more. I need to do something quickly.

You can ask the moderators to move it there if you wish.

I can't wait to see what the posters there will make of this! :D

And, yes, I do have weight to lose. I had gained in the last couple of years while working and studying left me no time to exercise, then this year I stopped smoking and put on even more. I need to do something quickly.

Anna, how do you travel too and from work and how far away is it? The reason I ask is that if it is under 5k, a bike would do you wonders.

I've never been fat myself but I have tried to start exercise regimes many times over the years and I was never able to stick with them. The problem was that I had to make an effort and it seemed like a chore. I found that cycling into work everyday as part of my routine was far easier because I don't view it as a chore. It's more of a practical necessity and it is actually enjoyable. These days I also go for long rides in the country for fun and the health benefits have been great. I had no weight to lose but I am far fitter than I was before I started.

There are other little things that you can do during your day that can have an effect. If you use elevators, stop it. Take the stairs instead. If you drive, leave your car at home for short journeys. This may not sound like a lot, but it does make a difference over time.

The thing about exercise is that often, it's just not fun. If you try a few physical hobbies (dancing, martial arts, hiking etc), you might find one that you enjoy and that's all you need. You won't find any easy fixes.

As for diet, we all know which foods are bad for us. Try to avoid processed sugars, fats and eat less carbohydrates.

If you heed this advice, I can guarantee that you will lose weight and best of all, this advice is free of charge.

P.S. If you want to be even more pro-active, Frogdog gave some very good advice in post 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

i really was hoping this was a joke thread :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Now, my question to you:
    (1) Have any of you heard of anyone who has actually had this done?
    No. This is the first time Ive heard of this. Hypnotherapy for weight loss I can almost understand. But to add in the gimmick of the gastric band is just ridiculous.
    (2) Why am I still tempted?
    Everything youve described in your op has so many alarm bells ringing I can only assume you are desperate. Either that or you have 1500 quid youve got to give away for some reason. :)

The rep was unprofessional
    The set up is unprofessional
    Its crazily expensive

Regardless of whether it works or not, given those three points, if it was a mobile phone network, a hairdresser, a plumber or any other regular commodity you wouldnt even be considering this right now, so use the same common sense and stay far away from this stuff.

Transform wrote: »
    i really was hoping this was a joke thread :(

Sadly no.
    If a scammer started a business claiming to hypnotise you into being thinner people would still go for it.

"Look into my eyes..... when I snap my fingers, you will only weigh 58 kilograms"

*snap*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Hilarious...sorry op but it's really made me laugh it's so insane! There's no quick fix to weight loss, you just gotta get the head down and change any bad habits, same as everyone else. Use the money you save from all those gimmicks out there to book a holiday or something... Incentive enough to lose IMO.

lachin wrote: »
    Hilarious...sorry op but it's really made me laugh it's so insane! There's no quick fix to weight loss, you just gotta get the head down and change any bad habits, same as everyone else. Use the money you save from all those gimmicks out there to book a holiday or something... Incentive enough to lose IMO.
    totally agree - at least with a nice holiday you will have some nice memories.

Life is too short to be unhappy about your weight so go do something practical about it. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose then there are massive holes in your current diet and its quite likely you are not moving enough.

Simples really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Send the money my way - it will pay off the last of my debts for me!

First a russian slimming pin, then this.

On a serious note OP - the fact that you even had to ask about it should be indicator enough not to ahead with it. The unproffessionalism and weirdness of this is also next on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'll chime in here and say that hypnosis can have a useful effect. I was hypnotised not to want sweets or chocolate before Christmas, and I can honestly say I haven't eaten a sweet, biscuit, chocolate or anything similar since then. It actually went a bit too far, in that I don't like the taste of anything sweet, including my gorgeous Hungarian whey protein.

I haven't lost any weight, because I other other stuff instead, but my diet is definitely a sugar-free zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

The fist session will last for 3 hours
    (

Ow thats gonna hurt!:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 belp

Really interesting reading this thread. I must say so you know that my Husbands sister who started a hypnosus band program at a size 24 - 8 months ago is now a size 12 and still losing her weight with no desires for the junk she used to eat or need to comfort.

I think its with the same clinic you where speaking with yesterday as the prices you mentioned are very similar.

I was taking with her last night and she said that this program is new enough here but is huge in the UK, she said that the NHS are conducting trials into the band hypnosus for obeas people so they will save thousands from not sending people for surgery.

She also went for a consultation for actual surgery with a huge cost of 12,000 so for the 1500 she paid she got the same results without going under the knife.

Maybe look in the UK for more research and understanding before you dismiss it. I have a bit of weight myself and am thinking of doing this also. I have spent thousands over the years and nothing has worked for me so I think if I can be hypnotized to change mind mindset set then I will have a real chance.

Louise......

Are you connected to the company Louise?

in no shape or form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

belp wrote: »

Hilarious! the positive replies are all low post shills. Must try harder.

• Advertisement

is is a change in mindset that is needed or maybe, call me crazy, a change in the standards you hold for yourself?

I have clients that come to me with a few pounds to a stone to drop and they get right on it and hold themselves accountable.

If you have stones to drop then there are soooo many things you are fully aware you are doing wrong with your diet and its not until you decide that you must hold yourself up to a higher standard that you will change. If hypnosis gives you that then great though is might be easier to look in the mirror and give yourself a good stern talking to on a daily basis until you become the change you want to see in yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Belp banned - she had a 2nd username on the same IP called 'weight loss clinic' and guess what the profile stated? 'Irelands No1 Gastric Hypnotic Band Provider'.

Belp banned - she had a 2nd username on the same IP called 'weight loss clinic' and guess what the profile stated? 'Irelands No1 Gastric Hypnotic Band Provider'.
    That was pretty obvious. Nice catch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

no no no, that was her brother's husband's sisters' profile...she was just using the same computer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

EileenG wrote: »
    I'll chime in here and say that hypnosis can have a useful effect. I was hypnotised not to want sweets or chocolate before Christmas, and I can honestly say I haven't eaten a sweet, biscuit, chocolate or anything similar since then. It actually went a bit too far, in that I don't like the taste of anything sweet, including my gorgeous Hungarian whey protein.

I haven't lost any weight, because I other other stuff instead, but my diet is definitely a sugar-free zone.

That's interesting, although I don't think it would work on me...too stubborn!

OP, if you wanted to post up your current diet and exercise here, your stats etc. I'm sure people would have no problem critiquing it for you, maybe we can save you €1500. Plus you'll get tons of motivation for the guys here.

I'll agree that you need to change your mindset about food to an extent, but you need to make lifestyle changes that you can keep up when you're not 'on a diet'. Diet to me is just what I eat, I'm never 'on a diet' to lose weight etc. it just what I eat on a day to day basis.

Check out Transforms site, he's got a few very good articles and videos on proper nutrition.

gavtron wrote: »

OP, if you wanted to post up your current diet and exercise here, your stats etc. I'm sure people would have no problem critiquing it for you, maybe we can save you €1500. Plus you'll get tons of motivation for the guys here.

I'll agree that you need to change your mindset about food to an extent, but you need to make lifestyle changes that you can keep up when you're not 'on a diet'. Diet to me is just what I eat, I'm never 'on a diet' to lose weight etc. it just what I eat on a day to day basis.

Check out Transforms site, he's got a few very good articles and videos on proper nutrition.
    I remember doing a piece on today FM with Matt Cooper about moobs and belly fat and the increase in surgery to 'rectify' these areas. I gave my take on it (the natural/obvious way to drop the fat) and a lady from a cosmetic surgery clinic gave her opinion.

In the end she was asked how much the surgery for getting rid of the moobs would be. Answer - €5,000, my reply - "emmm that would buy you quite a lot of personal training sessions plus you might actually learn to make some permanent changes and get fit in the process!!"

Get with the program people

gavtron wrote: »

It only works if you want it to, no-one can hypnotise you against your will. And you have to want it to work. Getting hypnotised into not eating sweets won't do a damn thing if you are planning to keep eating them.

I know I could break it just be making myself eat a chocolate bar. The first bite or two might be nasty, after that I'd enjoy it, and I'd be back to eating chocolate. But the whole point was to stop.

leahasana wrote: »
    Hi,

I tried Hypnotist Romane's Virtual Gastric Band CDs and they are working GREAT! I have lost more than 50 pounds in just a few months. You might want to check it out. His website is

He also has lots of free information on weight loss and hypnosis. I am sure you will find these as help as I have!

Lea

And yet another user who's other username is Gastric band Hypnosis......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I see this utter rubbish is todays city deal...
    ...In the second session a simulated ‘gastric band’ will be mentally placed under hypnosis...

€189 for 5 hours..

22 bought - I only feel real pity all 22 of those people :(

Its times like these when I wish the wellness industry was properly regulated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fatbird

Hi

I am actually one of those people who paid for this deal, however, please do not pity me!!! I had my first session yesterday which lasted 2.5hrs and can honestly say it was fantastic!. He spent 30mins going over what triggers my overeating and finding out about my history and family life etc. as any of this information can be used in the hypnosis. He then hypnotised me for 2hrs (which felt more like 15mins) and pre-prepared me more the gastric band 'op' in which I actually felt my stomach tighten as if it had been shrunk to the size of a golf ball!. I haven't been able to finish a meal since and cannot even think about eating 'junk' or 'stodgy' foods. I went for a meal last night with my husband to celebrate our anniversary and could'nt finish the main and wouldn't even contemplate having dessert...this is totally unheard of for me!!!:eek:

Paul is very friendly and puts you at ease with any queries you may have (as I was slightly sceptical going in there!). He does state catagorically that it will only work if you WANT it to work.

I have my second 2.5hr session on 20th of this month and am really looking forward to it as this is the session that actually goes through the 'surgical procedure and op' of the gastric band and places it there for your weightloss to truly begin.

I can only comment on my experience so far, however, would say that it is definitely positive...and very good value for this procedure. I have spent a lot more money on other weightloss products/programs and they haven't worked to date and some are regulated!;)

Fatbird.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement