Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC matchs on Sat/Sun

Options

Comments

• Podge_irl wrote: »
    Pubs may well be open, but I would have thought they couldn't serve alcohol?

I would've thought so too, but if I remember correctly Matty Holland scoring vs "The Cameroon" (Ray Houghton) in 2002, I remember vividly a pub full of breakfasts and pints at 7:something am...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

RTE is not officially available in Great Britain (Eng/Scot/Wales) i.e. not on Sky Digital satellite although there are those who use Irish sub cards with their sky system with cards linked to Irish address but this is not strictly legal AFAIK. NI may be the problem here with Sky and RFU as it's part of the UK and in NI RTE1/2 and TG4 are available as part of a channel package on Sky Digital although surely they could have blacked rugby out here the way they do CL soccer and HC on RTE.

The real problem would be that Sky buy ROI rights to everything that they buy UK rights to. As they are a subscription service that actively markets itself in the Republic of Ireland and sells subscriptions here, they could not with a straight face use the overspill argument that the BBC do to satisfy their rights holders. So they just buy ROI rights to everything.

Some of Sky's deals are exclusive in the UK but not in ROI, these mainly relate to events that are on the Crown Jewels lists here and to my mind the main one is for Republic of Ireland football World Cup and European Championship matches. But England matches wouldn't fall into this category. The only rugby event on the A list (must be shown live on Irish terrestrial TV) is Ireland's games in the Rugby World Cup, while Ireland's Six Nations games are on (and are in fact, the only event on) the B list (Sky could buy exclusive live rights, but would have to make deferred coverage available to an Irish terrestrial broadcaster).

In such circumstances, I would wager that the Sky-RFU exclusive deal for England home games outside the Six Nations applies equally in the Republic of Ireland as it does in the United Kingdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I would've thought so too, but if I remember correctly Matty Holland scoring vs "The Cameroon" (Ray Houghton) in 2002, I remember vividly a pub full of breakfasts and pints at 7:something am...

Some pubs have early licenses.

• testicle wrote: »
    Some pubs have early licenses.

Well aware, but I can assure you that this was not one of them!

The oul Blind Eye wont hurt anyone tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

To be honest I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was an application put into the government by the vintners association or whoever it is when it draws closer for a special dispensation for pubs to serve alcohol because of the fact our games are on early , lets face it if the soccer team were involved in the world cup then it would definitely be allowed to serve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

TheTwiz wrote: »
    I wonder if the pubs will be open for the 9:30 kick offs like the Australia game. Might be a bit of craic with a full Irish and a few pints
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Pubs may well be open, but I would have thought they couldn't serve alcohol?

For the 2002 FIFA World Cup, pubs were serving alcohol from 6am on some match days. Behind closed doors of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Have RTE the rights to show the world cup games or are they on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

RTE/ITV/Setanta Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

kerosene wrote: »
    Have RTE the rights to show the world cup games or are they on sky

RTE have the rights to some matches, definitely the Irish ones, and Setanta have some too. I don't think Sky have any of the live games, as ITV have the rights to them in the UK, so there would be very little profit to be made from them by Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

58 days to go until IRL V USA 11/9 @ 07:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

cython wrote: »
    RTE have the rights to some matches, definitely the Irish ones, and Setanta have some too. I don't think Sky have any of the live games, as ITV have the rights to them in the UK, so there would be very little profit to be made from them by Sky.

Sky have no rights to the Rugby World Cup and will not be screening any games.

RTÉ have the live rights to the opening game, all of Ireland's pool games, and all the knockout stage games.

ITV and Setanta have the live rights to all the games, though it is unclear how these will be allocated accross their channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

icdg wrote: »
    ITV and Setanta have the live rights to all the games, though it is unclear how these will be allocated accross their channels.
    ITV will show all games as will Setanta, who aren't broadcasting to UK market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

How many hours ahead are New Zealand? 12 or 13? Or has it got 2 time zones?

Just the one I think. It's 8am over there now so they're 11 hours now ahead.

9,000th post!

They're 11hrs ahead until end of september when daylight saving kicks in. They go forward an hour and we go back.

Just the one I think. It's 8am over there now so they're 11 hours now ahead.

9,000th post!

318-checking-out-b-forever-alone.png

just had my 2000th!

JustinDee wrote: »
    They're 11hrs ahead until end of september when daylight saving kicks in. They go forward an hour and we go back.

:confused:Damn it, that's gonna be confusing because I'm dum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

We don't go back until the last Saturday in October afaik.

Cheers. So that's a little simpler. 11hrs ahead until Sept 25th then 12hrs after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

Cheers. So that's a little simpler. 11hrs ahead until Sept 25th then 12hrs after that.
    The rwc2011 web site shows kick offs in your own time zone. There is a link on the fixtures page.

ITV will show all games as will Setanta, who aren't broadcasting to UK market.

Sorry, what I really meant to say is, both ITV and Setanta will have all matches, but we don't know how ITV are going to allocate them between ITV1 and ITV4 (save that on past performance I will be very surprised England's matches are not all on ITV1) and we don't know how Setanta are going to allocate matches between Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 (I would imagine all of Ireland's will be on Setanta Ireland, given that they will be up against FTA broadcasts on RTÉ and - ITV Breakfast issues allowing - UTV).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

any idea if rte (or anyone else) will show ireland's games in HD?

RTE had the ML final in HD through Saorview, no idea about RWC.

AFAIK Setanta have promoted their World Cup coverage as HD. Is a Sky HD box necessary to get Setanta HD? (I'm on regular Sky atm)

RTE had the ML final in HD through Saorview.

AFAIK Setanta have promoted their World Cup coverage as HD. Is a Sky HD box necessary to get Setanta HD? (I'm on regular Sky atm)
    I'm pretty sure it is necessary, because if nothing else, a standard sky box has no output with sufficient bandwidth to handle a HD quality signal (e.g. HDMI or component)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

fta/ftv HD would be my preference. if rte show ireland games in HD i'll have to see if there is a way to get it just north of Belfast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Is a Sky HD box necessary to get Setanta HD? (I'm on regular Sky atm)

Is Setanta HD even available via satellite?

I will be very surprised if RTÉ do not show their games in HD. I would also be surprised if Ireland games are not shown on ITV1 HD also.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Is Setanta HD even available via satellite?

I will be very surprised if RTÉ do not show their games in HD. I would also be surprised if Ireland games are not shown on ITV1 HD also.

I think RTE have actually said before that they will show any sports that they have a HD feed for in HD on RTE2 via Saorview, and with something like the RWC the availability of that should be a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

RTE had the ML final in HD through Saorview, no idea about RWC.

Setanta HD isn't HD. It is upscaled SD with analogue audio. Just so you know what to expect.

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    Setanta HD isn't HD. It is upscaled SD with analogue audio. Just so you know what to expect.

Is that why there's no "Setanta HD" channel on the EPG? So Setanta IRL and Setanta 1 are just higher quality SD channels?

Is there a significant difference in quality between normal SD and upscaled SD?

Advertisement