Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC matchs on Sat/Sun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

JustinDee wrote: »
    Not BBC. ITV won the British network broadcasting rights. ITV have actually been broadcasting it since the 1995 RWC.

ITV have been broadcasting RWC since 1991 - only RWC on BBC was the first one in NZ in 1987.They were heavily criticised and lost the rights after that. IIRC 'Rugby World' magazine said the best broadcaster of the inaugural tournament was NZBC which said a lot about BBC's coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

A few pubs will open up quietly and then lock the doors. Get a few beers in, then head home for a snooze. Then out again. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

ITV1 / ITV HD and ITV 4 will have all the matches.

RTE 2 / RTE 2 HD will have the Irish Matches ( http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2010/1221/worldcup_rte.html)

ITV 4 is removed from UPC.

I'd need to buy a freeview box to get RTE 2 HD. I'd be as well just paying for Setanta for 2 months and UPC might possibly get RTE 2 HD by then. I really like Matt Williams too.

Morf wrote: »

I'd need to buy a freeview box to get RTE 2 HD. I'd be as well just paying for Setanta for 2 months and UPC might possibly get RTE 2 HD by then. I really like Matt Williams too.

You mean a Saorview box or Freeview HD box. Ordinary Freeview box will only give you sound and no picture of RTE2HD.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Setanta HD is included in all UPC HD packages, you don't need to subscribe to Setanta Sports 1 to get it.

As for who's got what:

Setanta Sports have the Republic of Ireland primary rights to the Rugby World Cup. They'll have every game live, we don't know what the split between the basic cable Setanta Ireland and premium tier Setanta Sports 1 will be. There has been a suggestion that most games will be on Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 will be used when there's a clash but not sure if this will end up being the case in practice.

RTÉ2 have the secondary live rights, covering the opening game, all Ireland pool games, and all games from the quarter finals onwards. This only exists because of the placing of every Rugby World Cup game Ireland are playing in on the Crown Jewels list. TBH I think Setanta have shot themselves in the foot by allowing RTÉ coverage of all games in the knockout stages - they could have gotten away by simply selling rights to games Ireland are actually playing in. Nonetheless this means the majority of the tournament of Irish interest will be on RTÉ2.

RTÉ2 also have the evening highlights rights.

TG4 have the delayed coverage rights. As I understand it this extends to 24 of the 48 games and they can be shown in daytime (10:30am-4pm) only.

ITV have the UK live rights. Traditionally this gets split between ITV1 and ITV4 (the generally rule being, if England are playing, its on ITV1.). In previous years, UTV, HTV, and STV generally opted out where England and their particular country were playing at the same time and the England game was put on ITV1. ITV1 Wales (the former HTV) has little or no autonomy these days (I am waiting to see how ITV's England-centric presentation goes down in Wales when England v Wales in the football is shown on ITV1 later this year) so whether this will continue to be the case in Wales is in doubt. Complicating matters, UTV and STV do not own the 06:00-09:25 slot in their regions (which is owned by ITV Breakfast) and thus would require premission from ITV plc to opt out.

Between all this coverage, I wouldn't subscribe to Setanta Sports 1 on cable just for the Rugby World Cup. There'll be enough of it on other cable channels.

If you're on satellite, you won't have Setanta Ireland either, but between RTÉ, ITV1, STV, UTV, ITV4, and TG4, I'd assume there's very little matches you'll miss.

• Advertisement

You mean a Saorview box or Freeview HD box. Ordinary Freeview box will only give you sound and no picture of RTE2HD.

I do mean a Saorview box, yes.

icdg wrote: »
    If you're on satellite, you won't have Setanta Ireland either, but between RTÉ, ITV1, STV, UTV, ITV4, and TG4, I'd assume there's very little matches you'll miss.

Setanta Ireland is available on satellite here in NI is it not available in ROI also?

Setanta HD is included in all UPC HD packages, you don't need to subscribe to Setanta Sports 1 to get it.

I am aware of this as i have a UPC HD package.

I would need to subscribe to get Setanta 1 to be guaranteed all the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

I am aware of this as i have a UPC HD package.

I would need to subscribe to get Setanta 1 to be guaranteed all the matches.

I'd wait and see TBH. Setanta and the others, RTE/ITV will publish their coverage in advance. I'd be surprised if you missed much between Setanta/RTE/ITV.

You might miss the odd (unimportant) pool match on Setanta 1 - if that matters to you, then you can subscribe to Setanta 1 almost instantaneously - depending on your provider (UPC?). Check to see if they charge you for unsubscribing after the RWC - UPC certainly used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

I wonder if the pubs will be open for the 9:30 kick offs like the Australia game. Might be a bit of craic with a full Irish and a few pints

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pubs may well be open, but I would have thought they couldn't serve alcohol?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Setanta Ireland is available on satellite here in NI is it not available in ROI also?

It is. But as in NI, its a premium service which you actively have to go and purchase, and as it is encrypted in Videoguard you need a Sky Digibox and a active Sky digital subscription of some description to subscribe to it.

On UPC (main cable company in the Republic of Ireland) Setanta Ireland is a basic tier channel and is included in every package. So almost all cable viewers have Setanta Ireland by default.

My real point is - you shouldn't need to subscribe to Setanta Sports for the duration of the tournament if you are a cable or satellite viewer. On cable, there'll be comprehensive coverage on Setanta Ireland, RTÉ2, UTV, and TG4. Likewise satellite viewers who don't subscribe to Setanta will have RTÉ2, TG4, ITV1, ITV4, UTV, and STV all providing coverage. You might miss some pool matches, but I'd imagine it will take the very hardcore rugby supporter to watch all 48 games in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Does anyone know what the story is for watching in the uk?
    I'm moving over there right before the world cup starts.

I saw in that great post up there ^^^ that ITV have the uk rights. But what are the chances of them showing every Irish match? any chance ill be able to catch these online on rte player? even if i have to set up my own proxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Tomtom364 wrote: »

I saw in that great post up there ^^^ that ITV have the uk rights. But what are the chances of them showing every Irish match? any chance ill be able to catch these online on rte player? even if i have to set up my own proxy

If the worst comes to the worst, get on the net and look at myp2p.eu, I use it all the time in France for watching sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If I subscribe to Setanta on Sky, will I get Setanta HD? (I don't have a Sky HD box.)

If the worst comes to the worst, get on the net and look at myp2p.eu, I use it all the time in France for watching sports.

well im moving out of parents home to the uk so if i have to watch online then ill get up our spare pc as a proxy server for my own use for the world cup.

but id rather just watch it on tv with some drinks and a bunch of other irish people i can find in my new uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Setting up your own proxy if you know how would probably allow you to watch it on RTE Player. But I think the safest thing to do would be to get yourself a Freesat Satellite. If ITV are not showing the Ireland game, UTV will probably show it which is available on Freesat.

As mentioned above, wait to see what the UK channels announce they are going to show, and then decide what you need to buy. But honestly, I think you will have no problem watch Ireland games in the UK.

Colm R wrote: »
    Setting up your own proxy if you know how would probably allow you to watch it on RTE Player. But I think the safest thing to do would be to get yourself a Freesat Satellite. If ITV are not showing the Ireland game, UTV will probably show it which is available on Freesat.

As mentioned above, wait to see what the UK channels announce they are going to show, and then decide what you need to buy. But honestly, I think you will have no problem watch Ireland games in the UK.

Well my student accommadation has sky tv so i will probly be able to tune utv into that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Well my student accommadation has sky tv so i will probly be able to tune utv into that...

Boards is your friend for that

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Nah, ITV will be showing all the Ireland games, probably most of their rugby will be on ITV4 but if you have a freeview box you're sorted.

Edit; yes, every game being shown on ITV:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/7914793/ITV-secures-television-rights-to-2011-and-2015-Rugby-Union-World-Cups.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Quite strange.
    We were told 18 months when then Communications Minister Ryan suggested putting certain games on the fta list that the most important thing was 'competition', that without open competition in the market that games wouldn't reach their true market value and the IRFU would suffer.

Now we have a situation where the IRFU organise a home game and the TV rights are pre-assigned to Sky as part of the deal over the game.
    Now whilst its possible that no other broadcaster was going to pay more than Sky it doesn't seem right that BBC/SetantaIre/ESPN/ITV weren't even given the opportunity to bid. ITV in particular, as broadcaster of the RWC, may have bid more than expected in order to show one of Englands last warmup games, so a joint ITV/Setanta bid may have exceeded Sky.

Guess we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If I subscribe to Setanta on Sky, will I get Setanta HD? (I don't have a Sky HD box.)

Nope. You'll need the Sky HD box. And a subscription to Sky HD, which costs €15 a month...

It's crazy that, even with the HD box, without the subscription you can't get the FTA HD channels (BBC, ITV, RTE etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Quite strange.
    We were told 18 months when then Communications Minister Ryan suggested putting certain games on the fta list that the most important thing was 'competition', that without open competition in the market that games wouldn't reach their true market value and the IRFU would suffer.

Now we have a situation where the IRFU organise a home game and the TV rights are pre-assigned to Sky as part of the deal over the game.
    Now whilst its possible that no other broadcaster was going to pay more than Sky it doesn't seem right that BBC/SetantaIre/ESPN/ITV weren't even given the opportunity to bid. ITV in particular, as broadcaster of the RWC, may have bid more than expected in order to show one of Englands last warmup games, so a joint ITV/Setanta bid may have exceeded Sky.

Guess we'll never know.

Sorry state of affairs when the RFU are dictating who gets the rights to Irish home internationals.

It is. But as in NI, its a premium service which you actively have to go and purchase, and as it is encrypted in Videoguard you need a Sky Digibox and a active Sky digital subscription of some description to subscribe to it.

On UPC (main cable company in the Republic of Ireland) Setanta Ireland is a basic tier channel and is included in every package. So almost all cable viewers have Setanta Ireland by default.

My real point is - you shouldn't need to subscribe to Setanta Sports for the duration of the tournament if you are a cable or satellite viewer. On cable, there'll be comprehensive coverage on Setanta Ireland, RTÉ2, UTV, and TG4. Likewise satellite viewers who don't subscribe to Setanta will have RTÉ2, TG4, ITV1, ITV4, UTV, and STV all providing coverage. You might miss some pool matches, but I'd imagine it will take the very hardcore rugby supporter to watch all 48 games in the tournament.

You'll surely not miss some pool matches if you have ITV1/4 as ITV will cover all matches live. So a satellite dish (Freesat/Sky/even generic FTA box) or Freeview box (for those who receive Freeview signal and can get all DTT channels) should suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Quite strange.

Now we have a situation where the IRFU organise a home game and the TV rights are pre-assigned to Sky as part of the deal over the game

Have you considered that possibility of it being the RFU (not the IRFU) organising an away game and being added to the original lineup of Ireland's own list?
    This an extremely rare instance. The truth about the market value of the Six Nations and ERC competitions being devalued if no competition still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

Have you considered that possibility of it being the RFU (not the IRFU) organising an away game and being added to the original lineup of Ireland's own list?
    This an extremely rare instance. The truth about the market value of the Six Nations and ERC competitions being devalued if no competition still stands.
    “We wanted to secure a fourth (international) game in August and this was the request the RFU made,” an IRFU spokesman explained. “Sky Sports will be providing all the outside broadcasting facilities so the feed will be supplied to RTÉ and the BBC at no cost.”

The above would suggest that while the RFU may have been seeking an away fixture, the IRFU were also actively seeking the international fixture (not necessarily against the RFU, but an international fixture nonetheless), so it's not like they were facilitating the RFU by providing a venue with no vested interests, or organisational intent of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Obviously I'm not privy to the background details of exactly whats gone on, and the Times' article may be packed with inaccuracies. I'll be genuinely interested to see if anymore information comes out. If what you suggest is correct then it appears that the RFU have done a TV deal with SKY on the basis of away games, which looks very dodgy to me.

I appreciate it is a rare instance - though I wonder how many other times it's happened that we are not aware off. Like has Englands summer international away game in the Pacific Islands ever been say Tonga instead of Samoa because the latter would have insisted on dealing the European TV rights themselves on the open market?

It is disappointing that the various RFUs were 'all for competition in the market' so recently and now it goes out the window. I guess we'll just have to wait to see if anything more emerges.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Is RTÉ avail in the UK?

If not, I can't see how broadcasting rights for RTÉ here affect a deal that the RFU have with Sky to broadcast their matches in the UK.

• Advertisement

Is RTÉ avail in the UK?

If not, I can't see how broadcasting rights for RTÉ here affect a deal that the RFU have with Sky to broadcast their matches in the UK.

RTE is not officially available in Great Britain (Eng/Scot/Wales) i.e. not on Sky Digital satellite although there are those who use Irish sub cards with their sky system with cards linked to Irish address but this is not strictly legal AFAIK. NI may be the problem here with Sky and RFU as it's part of the UK and in NI RTE1/2 and TG4 are available as part of a channel package on Sky Digital although surely they could have blacked rugby out here the way they do CL soccer and HC on RTE.
    Regarding another post and receiving ITV4 on freeview I think I'm right in saying that some on Irish East coast have had problems picking up the multiplex this channel is broadcast on from Wales due to interference from RTE tests on a nearer transmitter so a satellite route may be best way to get this station.

Advertisement