Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magdelene Laundries - Eugenics by another name?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I haven't read through the whole thread. But eugenics? I don't think so. I think it was more like mass ignorance. Somewhere higher up the chain people someone, out of ignorance thought they were doing these women and society a favour. Further down the chain it dissolved into sadism. But then I also think the nuns were victims too in their own way, although responsible for their actions.

BUT in favour of what the Catholic Church did in Ireland over centuries... I lived in Portugal for a few years in the 90s. Over there it was normal for many older person to be unable to read. No matter what you say about Ireland, that simply was not and is not the case here. Our education system dates to the 1830s. Hedge schools run by priests. Fact. And everything starts with education.

I'm not a Catholic btw, though brought up catholic. There is no religion, even buddhism, that wasn't bloodthirsty back in the day. The world is slowly and painfully lifting itself out of ignorance.

Advertisement