Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant not paying rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublincomment

You can if you are stuck move yourself or a member of your family back into your property for a period of time giving the tennant a months notice in writing to quit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You can if you are stuck move yourself or a member of your family back into your property for a period of time giving the tennant a months notice in writing to quit.

You can give them notice to quit- it doesn't matter one iota......
    It can still take upwards of a year to actually get them out of the property, irrespective of whether you or a family member have somewhere else to live or not- and irrespective of whether they are paying rent or not........
    Too many people have discovered how to play the system for all its worth.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sit on the doorstep for a week. If she doesn't show up in that time, or answer the door you can break in on the presumption that either the occupant has left or is incapacitated inside. Also tell the postman not to deliver while you do this.

Or, report a smell of gas from the premises to Bord Gais. As it is your house you'll have to provide entry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sit on the doorstep for a week. If she doesn't show up in that time, or answer the door you can break in on the presumption that either the occupant has left or is incapacitated inside. Also tell the postman not to deliver while you do this.

Or, report a smell of gas from the premises to Bord Gais. As it is your house you'll have to provide entry for them.

i like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I dont understand. It just takes a bit of budgeting to pay the rent. Lived of 150 a week during the year cause i had to. It included 75 on rent, 25 on bills, 20-30 on food. It can be done. Ok, no fancy clothes or drink but i'd rather have a roof over my head.
    If someone on the dole cant manage that and receiving rent allowance at the same time, feck them out of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Victor_M wrote: »
    Depending on the tenants circumstances and the type of welfare received they can get up to €1200 p/m RA

http://www.inou.ie/download/pdf/max_rent_levels_county.pdf

I got the figure of €400 from ~€200 Dole + €200* (800/4) which is very common in Dublin anyway as a rent allowance figure where the tenant doesn't have to make any contributions towards the rent.

*Estimate as the op never stated what the actual figure was

I stand corrected, my god I cannot believe some people are getting up to 1200 p/m! RA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Only applies to a Part 4 or a Periodic Tenancy NOT to a Fixed Term Tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

aas wrote: »
    How each individual landlord wishes to conduct his 'business' of renting property is up to him (within the confines of whatever laws we have), I'm merely suggesting that the O.P. conduct his business with a bit less greed and a bit more understanding
    Ok, LL in Ireland can be quite unprofessional, and some are greedy, but I have had some excellent LL and would not really fault them at all now.
    We have no way of knowing which cataegory the LL is in here, but the tenant seems to be edging towards the dodgy category........
    Behaviour like this makes it hard for genuine people on RA, resulting in many LL not accepting it. Perhaps the tenant should behave with less greed and more understanding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

aas wrote: »
    The tenant could be in severe financial difficulties and eviction could spell homelessness. Approach the situation with patience and compassion, it's likely that she needs the money far more than you do.

OMG just OMG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

tishandy wrote: »
    I stand corrected, my god I cannot believe some people are getting up to 1200 p/m! RA.

They're not. That guy posted an old rates list. The current one can be found here

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx#Rates3

The way it works is if you are renting and want to receive RA, then your rent cannot be higher than the amount listed for that area.

EG if I had 3 kids and was getting rent allowance in Tallaght, my rent could not be higher than €1100 per month. I would have to pay part of that myself. Minimum of €24 so let's assume max rent allowance I can get is €1004 per month. That is max and no more. This is all worked off the current budget.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 mh102

I agree wth the Joe Pesci method!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mh102 wrote: »
    I agree wth the Joe Pesci method!

Any suggestions of violence or intimidation of any nature, will result in a ban from this forum.

Regards

smccarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Yawns wrote: »

EG if I had 3 kids and was getting rent allowance in Tallaght, my rent could not be higher than €1100 per month. I would have to pay part of that myself. Minimum of €24 so let's assume max rent allowance I can get is €1004 per month. That is max and no more. This is all worked off the current budget.

Still a hell of a lot of money to be getting for free!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

It most certainly is. The rent allowance being so high is of course what has rents in the area so high. If the rent allowance was to be reduced, you would see rents in the area falling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Any updates on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    clarify with the HSE that payments are being made or not. The cheques should be in your name and if they are being cashed that is fraud and the gaurds will investigate that.

So if the cheques are in the LLs name then either (a) she's not cashing them (but then what would be the point in with-holding them from the LL) or (b) she's cashing them and it's fraud, as you say, and all the consequences that that implies.

Wouldn't a note in the letterbox saying "give me my cheques or I'm calling the gardai" be enough to get most tenants motivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

The cheques will not be in the LL’s name unless that has been agreed with the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

LittleBook wrote: »
    ...Wouldn't a note in the letterbox saying "give me my cheques or I'm calling the gardai" be enough to get most tenants motivated?

Most know that's meaningless threat. Its got nothing to do with the Gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    The cheques will not be in the LL’s name unless that has been agreed with the HSE.

Agreed with the tenant. The tenant has to set it up AFAIK.

There was talk in the papers this week (which i can't find now) that they change it so it would bypass the tenant by default. To cut down miss-use and fraud of it. Pity its taken them so long to do this.

Advertisement