Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C class fighters being paid?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

10 mins with the ring girl of their choice!

I think a few free tickets is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

ryoishin wrote: »
    10 mins with the ring girl of their choice!.

Nice novel idea in these recessionary times

I can see two sides to this argument

First many shows are barely making money,if not losing money, so paying C-class fighters may make the show unfeasible financially. So pro guys may not have as many opportunities to fight as there may not be as many shows (maybe a good thing I dunno).

A gesture may be a nice idea though for example covering a guys petrol costs down or a few tickets for mates or a small monetary gesture. As very often C-class fighters put a lot of bums in seats.
    Now I have splinters from sitting on this fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

darced wrote: »

You would be surprised how many shows just about cover expenses with flip all profit to show for the effort of puttin it all together. Trust me been involved with a lot of shows & the lads/ladies running them are put to the pin of their collar after all the necessaries are paid. For example i know of a show where the promoter had something in the region of 70-100 quid profit after it was all said & done & I know others that lost money. Essentially putting on a show is a gamble, a poor turnout and you're hooshed.
    Back to the thread, maybe a few tickets would be good or a few bob petrol money.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

darced wrote: »

It is a common misconception that promoters walk away from shows with a suitcase of money. Very often the opposite applies, they walk away in debt. There is quite a few overheads that must be covered before there is even a ticket sold.

In a lot of cases coaches / promoters run shows in order to keep their fighters busy. In Ireland where there is a relatively small pot of competitors it can get difficult to get them fights on a regular basis, especially when they get more experienced, so running one or two home shows a year helps avoid rustyness.

C class / amateurs should not be paid IMO. They are being awarded an opportunity to hone and develop their skills in front of an audience in preparation for the pro scene. This is payment enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I tell you this now and you can believe it or not.

If I put the same amount of time I spend organising our show into my full time job I would walk away with probably 5 times the amount.

Any money we have made we generally pump back into our club to pay for equipment.

I'm pretty sure its the same for most other shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I tell you this now and you can believe it or not.

If I put the same amount of time I spend organising our show into my full time job I would walk away with probably 5 times the amount.

Any money we have made we generally pump back into our club to pay for equipment.

I'm pretty sure its the same for most other shows.

Exactly. Most Irish promoters are club owners and coaches, they ain't making huge money. From my own point of view, if I decide to run another TW in Galway it won't be to make money, realistically if it cleared a small profit or broke even that would be a good night. You could actually see Mark Leonard getting a bit greyer after ever show he ran! :pac:

Advertisement