Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male circumcision...mutilation?

Options
  • 13-06-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

What are AH-ers thoughts on this? Is circumcision performed on young baby boys a harmless ritual, or cruel and detrimental to their wellbeing?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Nobody should have bits cut off unless

a) They choose to or

b) it's endangering their health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Medical reasons - Perfectly fine

Otherwise - Completely unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

It's pointless mutilation, that's all there is to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Doing it to a newborn child that has no choice in the matter is very wrong. It's ok if an adult chooses to do it for medical/personal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I preferred when TeddyTedson posted threads :( :pac:

Where is that lovable runt btw???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Cruel and evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Head for this thread: 84 pages of debate to chew over. You won't get a serious answer on AH.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Uncircumcised kids run the risk of developing badly smelling knob cheese & never getting the ride.

That's an undisputed medical fact.

I got it done when I was 8 due to medical reasons, I felt awkward going to the urinals for some time after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

bnt wrote: »
    Head for this thread: 84 pages of debate to chew over. You won't get a serious answer on AH.

My answer was serious anyway.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Unless medically necessary it is a basically a form of ritualistic mutilation which should be outlawed (for children) in any civilised country.
    Uncircumcised kids run the risk of developing badly smelling knob cheese & never getting the ride.

Until someone introduces them to the wonderous properties of water............

A better thread, also on tGC: just 6 pages and more on topic.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

If it's down to a medical problem, then by all means, chop chop. But religious or aesthetic reasons (that the parents project onto the child... I dunno... I cant think of any other reason rather than religious), it should be up to the individual at a time they're fit to make the decision.

Either way, it is not, in any way, mutilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

They say it's the kindest cut...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

craggles wrote: »
    It's pointless mutilation, that's all there is to it.

Ever worn a turtle neck sweater that was a wee bit too tight?

If its tight,its tight.

Some people are borne with mouths not tight enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

harmless ritual, IMO

nowhere near as bad as female genetal mutalation anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

harmless ritual, IMO
    harm/härm/
    Verb: Physically injure: "the villains didn't harm him".
    Noun: Physical injury, esp. that which is deliberately inflicted.

====================================

nowhere near as bad as female genetal mutalation anyway

I don't think you will find anyone to disagree with you on that. Assault is nowhere near as bad as murder, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Adult-on-child GBH.

Say what you see.

cesc77 wrote: »
    Ever worn a turtle neck sweater that was a wee bit too tight?
    I think it's fairly obvious that the OP was not talking about circumcision as a necessary medical procedure, or as a voluntary choice. The very word "mutilation" implies a lack of choice in the matter. Consenting adults already do far worse things to themselves e.g. don't look up "bifurcation", with "safe mode" off, if you want to sleep tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

That's an undisputed medical fact.

There is this stuff called 'soap'. Google it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What are AH-ers thoughts on this? Is circumcision performed on young baby boys a harmless ritual, or cruel and detrimental to their wellbeing?
    Russell Crowe was right - he shouldn't have been made to apologise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

There is no excuse for putting a baby through a completely unnecessary surgical procedure tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The Hitch gets animated on the subject.

An odd cultural fetish in the US, indefensible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Its not much fun trying to go for a pee when your japseye scabs over after every time for days after

Its daftness of the highest order.

Nature has adapted us over many centuries to the way we are, for a reason.
    Then all of a sudden because some wackos decide we need to cut bits off us - and and natural progression was not good enough for millennia, we all should go and do it?

Feck that!

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Unless medically necessary it is a basically a form of ritualistic mutilation which should be outlawed (for children) in any civilised country.
    Sadly they won't
    1. Because the religious nuts have too much influence and sway with those in power.
    2. There would be further cries of 'intruding upon religious rights!'

...What about the rights of a child not to have his dick scalped for fcuks sake!

Stupidity of the highest orders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Biggins wrote: »
    Its daftness of the highest order.

Nature has adapted us over many centuries to the way we are, for a reason.
    Then all of a sudden because some wackos decide we need to cut bits off us - and and natural progression was not good enough for millennia, we all should go and do it?

Feck that!

Agreed,but some of us are not the perfect specimen when born and need a wee bit of help.

This discussion can encompass many inhumanities but surely we are not focussing on the removal of a tiny amount of skin from a child.where it is necessary for the comfort and well being compared to a child who has had the procdeure for religious reasons?

I disagree with genetic mutilation for religious reasons.

To grow up in the western world with a circumsised penis is bloody hard.I think we are in the vast minority..less than 10%.So the trips to the pool and conversations with the lads earlier on in life and the ladies later on should not be underestimated.

Mutilation of the genitalia in foreign countries is very scary but it is something that they may see as necessary and traditional nomatter how barbaric it truely is

cesc77 wrote: »
    Agreed,but some of us are not the perfect specimen when born and need a wee bit of help...
    If that was the case, fair enough.
    Those with genuine problems can seek help if possible - but mass un-necessary scalping?
    Its pure daftness to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I got it done when I was 8 due to medical reasons, I felt awkward going to the urinals for some time after.

I had it done when I was 8 too for medical reasons!! We should set up a club!! :pac:

• Advertisement

number10a wrote: »
    I had it done when I was 8 too for medical reasons!! We should set up a club!! :pac:
    Call it "Cut And Run". :D

Advertisement