Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthropological study of the fighting games community

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Orim wrote:
    With a title like that you should totally do it on BB combos. That way your thesis can have underboob and how often will that happen?
    Underboob AND LOLI!

I'll let myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

chueytoo wrote: »
    I better start on my thesis :eek: Which is the Study Of Flow in video games.

You should do a study of floe instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Hey Rachel, here's a few links to stuff I mentioned yesterday:

http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html - Glossary of some SF/fighting game terms

http://vimeo.com/user5084242 - Zaid Taibani's vimeo page, generally focused on the competitive scene in California. Dunno if it's possible to get in contact with him via that but might be worth a shot, see if there's anything useful.

edit: http://shoryuken.com/forum/forums/domination-101.98/ Here's the Domination 101 forum I mentioned, archives of Ponder and Seth Killian's posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://shoryuken.com/forum/forums/tech-talk.6/

SRK's Tech Talk, where whole new businesses have been founded.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Zoomyzoom

Cheers guys (Dreddy & Kiki) I really appreciate the above :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Seeing that we were all shouting ' You being mistified! ' or Mistfy in the vlog I posted yesterday, I thought I'd offer an explanation of how the phrase came about, seeing that I'm kind of the best person qualified to do so. :pac:

It goes back to Tempest 2, a Cork based Super Street Fighter 4 tournament held upstairs in the Newport Bar, Paul St, Cork on Saturday, 26th March, 2011. While this wasn't my first tournament, it was the first time I had come to a tournament with a score to settle.

In the first Tempest which was held in the same venue on 20th November of last year, I had being beaten in group stages by a M.Bison ( Dictator ) player named Seanalot. Owing to this loss, I didn't get out of groups and the loss left me feeling very salty and I swore that I'd have my revenge. ( You can read it here )

Back to Tempest 2, I proceed to get out of groups, which was a first for me in a tournament setting, can't say it wasn't easy though, the matches I played in groups were all tense, down to last round type of matches.

Afterwards, I was boasting about getting out of groups for the first time to Futureguy. It was he who suggested to me that after I win a match, I should say ' You being Mistified! ' Yeah, the phrase wasn't actually my idea but I made it my own, you can say, so he deserves as much credit for bringing the phrase into use as I do.

I lose my first match in top 8, which knocked me into losers and then Seanalot, who had also gotten through to top 8, also lost his first match in top 8, which meant the grudge match was finally happening as we were matched up on losers side.

This is that match in question and it was where I used the phrase ' You've being Mistified! ' for the first time ( Near the end, after I got the win. )

I lost my next match and got knocked out but I was happy regardless with what I achieved that day. I never thought that phrase would completely blow up and become a community catchphrase, as the Vlog showed ( which is here for ease of reference. )

Well, I hope that helped, if your at Inferno in August ( I don't plan on attending the one in July ) then I'll be happy to answer more questions. Again, good luck with the thesis.

Misty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I thought it meant you fell asleep in public

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I thought it meant you fell asleep in public

No, the falling asleep in public happened well before I started using the phrase and is something that has being plaguing me since Primary school. :pac:

Advertisement