Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthropological study of the fighting games community

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

A-Trak wrote: »
    Yup, it does.

You're mistaken. My post was aimed at the OP, not the OP's other half. I would have thought that the OP came up with that word himself. I would think that I do know who I am "aiming" a post at.

If it was the person who was doing the thesis that was actually posting, then I wouldn't have said it.

If you contradict something in this post again I charge you with just trying to start an argument for no reason and won't be available to respond. I'm done with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

If you contradict something in this post again I charge you with just trying to start an argument for no reason

LOL

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You're mistaken. My post was aimed at the OP, not the OP's other half. I would have thought that the OP came up with that word himself. I would think that I do know who I am "aiming" a post at.

If it was the person who was doing the thesis that was actually posting, then I wouldn't have said it.

If you contradict something in this post again I charge you with just trying to start an argument for no reason and won't be available to respond. I'm done with this thread.

And I would think you would know enough to read a thread this short all the way through before making what appeared to be a snarky comment. It was you who started an argument in this thread, if any is actually occuring.

Regardless, this isn't humanities, it's a forum for fighting game dicussion. I am sure AJ feels incredibly remorseful for his reckless use of the term anthropology, and will never dare to use it with such abandon in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

I am sure AJ feels incredibly remorseful for his reckless use of the term anthropology, and will never dare to use it with such abandon in future.

Soooo remorseful..... anthropologically speaking of course. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

This sounds very interesting. Not sure I fully understand what goes into it, but it definitely sounds cool.

I'm sort of curious how much pollution the local Irish fighting vocabulary would suffer because of the Internet Fighting Terminology in general.

We didn't come up with terms like "Salty" etc, but we definitely use them

Also: lol @ Superinfinity, failed attempt at being a drive-by spelling nazi

• Advertisement

Interesting point Dave- while we use similar terms to the English and the Americans, the way we talk is also quite different.

He was rinsed, innit, sick boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Yo pot monsters! What's going on!? And why so salty SuperInfinity? Did you just get blown up?

Where yo curleh moustache at!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

The topic of this thread and the purpose of it has huge benefit not only to this forum and it's members, but more-so, I reckon the end result may well feature on a lot of global sites and worldwide commentary surrounding fighting games.

I'm not going to derail this thread anymore getting caught up in your petty semantics. Any further posts I make will be directly related to the theme of the thread, I'm not looking for any sort of argument as it would be contrary both the tone and direction here.

And I don't want to be charged with anything, good day sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Our terminology is very polluted by the Americans and to a lesser extent the English. However this is a general trend that seems to be happening all over the country.

There is also a very Irish twist on the way we use those words. The slightly offensive and self deprecating banter that is very much an Irish way of talking. "The Slaggings" if you will. A very simple example would be how often a good player would be called a scrub and a crap player would be godlike.

Monkeyto wrote: »
    Yo pot monsters! What's going on!? And why so salty SuperInfinity? Did you just get blown up?

Where yo curleh moustache at!!!!!!!!!!!

This post is way more relevant than it might first appear.

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »
    There is also a very Irish twist on the way we use those words. The slightly offensive and self deprecating banter that is very much an Irish way of talking. "The Slaggings" if you will. A very simple example would be how often a good player would be called a scrub and a crap player would be godlike.

That's really true. The other day I walked in to casuals and said "I want to beat up these two scrubs now" and it was Stev0 and Dreddy :)

This sounds very interesting. Not sure I fully understand what goes into it, but it definitely sounds cool.

I'm sort of curious how much pollution the local Irish fighting vocabulary would suffer because of the Internet Fighting Terminology in general.

This is interesting and gold for her project. I am not sure if she would have the heuristic grounding to look at that but that is pretty much the whole point of this participant observation. She wants the guru's like us...... well, like you, to bring up discussion points like this with her.
    Also: lol @ Superinfinity, failed attempt at being a drive-by spelling nazi

LMAO... I nearly fell off the chair.

@SuperInfinity: From the Oxford dictionary:

Derivatives (for the word anthropology)
    anthropological
    Pronunciation:/-pəˈlɒdʒɪk(ə)l/
    adjective

For the layman, this means that 'anthropological' is the adjective, or "descriptive meaning", for anthrolopogy and it can be used within a sentence to provide an understanding of methodology (in the case).

lol

Orim wrote: »
    Our terminology is very polluted by the Americans and to a lesser extent the English. However this is a general trend that seems to be happening all over the country.

Too true and I agree, it is something that translates across more than just the fighting games genre and community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

OP, you are using the word "anthropological" wrongly.

You want to talk about the history of fighting games, not the "anthropology" of fighting games.

I don't think any of us expected him to say that.

simp6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Dwydwy

-Insert something here to make it seem like I understand what this is :D-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Dwydwy wrote: »
    -Insert something here to make it seem like I understand what this is :D-

I am 12 and what is this?

Oh by the way Superinfinity- you were too slow, someone reported the post.

I am considering you a troll and I don't want to see you in this thread again. I will not ban you because I am so mature and at very least you deleted your little strop.

Shoutouts to DooM putting SI on blast (sorry, couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Zoomyzoom

Holy Optimus, I leave the forum for one evening and all hell breaks loose! lol :p Below is just a section I put together to illustrate what Anthropology is about and where my research fits in to the discipline....hopefully to avoid any other confusion about the discipline and my research. :)

Anthropology is the study of humankind. Of all the disciplines that examines aspects of human existence and accomplishments, only Anthropology explores the entire panorama of the human experience, from human origins to contemporary forms of culture and social life (for example: on-line fighting games and the linguistic discourse that is employed). Anthropology as an integrative interdisciplinary discipline has four field (archaeological, biological, linguistic, and sociocultural Anthropology) although many Anthropologists also conduct research across these fields.
    With its holistic perspective, Anthropology intersects the multiple approaches to the study of humankind-biological, social, cultural, historical, linguistic, cognitive, material, technological, affective, and aesthetic.

My own interest lies in linguistics. Linguistic Anthropology examines the history and structure of human languages, the relationship between language and culture, cognitive and biological aspects of language, and other symbolic forms and media of communication and reasoning. For example, in the case of on-line fighting games, 'indexical-iconic signs' (see [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Peirce - Semiotics)[/FONT] such as ‘salty’ & ‘scrub’ are different ways of using main-stream language to contextually describe an action or situation...which in turn allows another member of the fighting games community to quickly interpret and relate to the world around them. A small part of my research will investigate the relationship between the biological aspects (the brain and how it interprets and reproduces language and symbol systems) with linguistics (how language is used as a socially and culturally grounded practice, which encompasses sets of expectations, beliefs, ideologies and moral values about the world). In other words, investigating the difference between 'button bashing' and 'execution' / playing for fun and playing to win (I'm currently reading 'Playing to Win'). However, for the most part, my research will focus on 'neologisms' (newly coined terms, entering common use but have not yet been accepted into mainstream language, which are used to efficiently describe specific events, persons, situations and actions)....investigating the history, the development and the use of the communities indexical language.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]For me, a greater understanding of how language is used as a socially and culturally grounded practice, which encompass sets of expectations, beliefs, ideologies and moral values about the world, and the context in which it is uttered, can help to illustrate the users own understanding of the values and practices of the world they live in. In other words, language is not just a simple tool used to communicate during interactions with others, it shapes our thoughts and emotions and how we perceive and understand the world around us. In the case of my thesis, I hope that my research will reveal a deeper understanding of the sub-culture of competitive gaming, in the Irish context, from a linguistic perspective. My thesis could form the basis of further research in this field and to the best of my knowledge this research in relation to competitive gaming has not been carried out utilizing the methodologies that I will use.

I hope that helps :)
    [/FONT]

Zoomyzoom wrote: »
    Holy Optimus...

This post wins the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Zoomyzoom

In relation to the below comments:

Originally quoted by - UberPrinny_Baal
    Originally quoted by - Doctor Doom
    Interesting point Dave- while we use similar terms to the English and the Americans, the way we talk is also quite different.
    He was rinsed, innit, sick boy.
    Originally quoted by Monkeyto
    Why so salty....Where yo curleh moustache at!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally quoted by - Orim

Originally quoted by - Ayjayirl

This is interesting and gold for her project. I am not sure if she would have the heuristic grounding to look at that but that is pretty much the whole point of this participant observation. She wants the guru's like us...... well, like you, to bring up discussion points like this with her.

My better half (:D) is correct in saying that my heuristic knowledge of on-line fighting games (the history of the games and the linguistic discourse that has developed because of it) is extremely limited....tis why I'm researching it :p. I do need guru's like yourselves to help me better understand this phenomena. The above comments are considered 'gold-dust' in terms of data for my research and for my own understanding. The word 'salty' was used, followed up with 'curleh moustache' alongside some interesting comments such as "we didn't come up with terms like salty" (which I didn't know) and how terms like 'salty' are used in the Irish context.

Guys I just want to say thank you for all the support and I am sincerely grateful for all the interest that my research is getting because of your support :) Keep it coming and I welcome all comments, tips, website, etc. that will help to further my research and further my own understanding.

Many many thanks - Rach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

Cool idea, but sounds like you have a pretty difficult task ahead of you. :(

Do you not think the general age of the community members is just a wee bit too old and demeanours not quite (for lack of a better term) ''ghetto'' or vulgar/abrasive enough to yield a significant amount of neologisms to fuel your research?

Have you found a potential example yet? Can't really see slanguage being this community's forte to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

We live in a 'monkey see, monkey do' society, where people are bound to ape what they see and hear in the larger and more accepted scenes, in the U.S. and U.K.

Whenever I use my own vernacular and descriptions for what I experience, people can get a little lost, so I occasionally (and uncomfortably) resort to the slang and terms that are the common currency in the 'community' (conformist, I know).

I'd be happy to share my opinions on these subjects, from a somewhat outsider's point of view, if that's of any help to you...

Have you found a potential example yet? Can't really see slanguage being this community's forte to be honest.

YOU'VE BEEN MISTIFIED

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Cool idea, but sounds like you have a pretty difficult task ahead of you. :(

Do you not think the general age of the community members is just a wee bit too old and demeanours not quite (for lack of a better term) ''ghetto'' or vulgar/abrasive enough to yield a significant amount of neologisms to fuel your research?

TBH apart from the word salty I don't see much of the American slang in use here. Saying that I'm not all that familiar with Dublin. What I have seen is more the application of general Irish slang to the subject as opposed to the creation of unique phrases/words. If I had shown up to my first meet up and people were talking like you hear on some US streams I probably would have turned right around.

Saying all that this is a really interesting topic and I'm guessing a fairly original route to go down for thesis and I hope it works out for you and would be mopre than happy to help out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why is everybody posting crap and not posting Yipes?

Also:
    far2 is punch

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also:
    far2 is punch

Back Forward Gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Good luck with the thesis, I think anyone from the fighting game community would love to help.

Speaking of which, I better start on my thesis :eek: Which is the Study Of Flow in video games.

With a title like that you should totally do it on BB combos. That way your thesis can have underboob and how often will that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Surely "online warrior" deserves a place in the Irish fighting game lexicon?

As in, "****in Bush made a mess of me in ranked last night, I was online warriored."

Advertisement