Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value Carbon road bike??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Focus Cayo 2.0 on Wiggle, but their delivery to Ireland sucks, I was waiting 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jusmeig wrote: »
    Focus Cayo 2.0 on Wiggle, but their delivery to Ireland sucks, I was waiting 7 days.

considering the checklist that came with mine and the brakes and gears were set up perfectly i cant complain (wiggle dont just take the box off the shelf and stick your address on it) even the tyres were pumped right up on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

7 days is not very long!

I have bought three bikes from Wiggle (a Focus Cayo, a Litespeed Archon, and a Focus Raven MTB) and all were set up exceptionally well, requiring no adjustments. Having said that, my Planet Xes also arrived with everything set up perfectly and required only slightly more assembly. Other bikes I have bought online arrived as they do from the manufacturer and needed a bit more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

jusmeig wrote: »

Ribble are even worse, i rang about delivery if i were to purchase a road bike, they told me two to three weeks. As well as huge postage costs. Turned me off them immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Ribble are even worse, i rang about delivery if i were to purchase a road bike, they told me two to three weeks. As well as huge postage costs. Turned me off them immediately.
    One can make their own arrangements to have a bike collected from Ribble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

If someone wants to buy a proper carbon roadbike I'm selling, shortly, my immaculate Trek Madone 5.5 with brand new transmission.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 patmustard79

Hey all, I'm not having much luck finding a cube - plenty of triples but no compact to be found.

Think I'll go for the focus in the next couple of days unless anyone has a better suggestion - it seems like better value than most

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-cayo-20-ultegra-compact-2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Think I'll go for the focus in the next couple of days unless anyone has a better suggestion - it seems like better value than most

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-cayo-20-ultegra-compact-2011/

That looks like really nice bike for the money. I had a 2008 Cayo with Ultegra, and whilst it was a bit on the heavy side and the internally routed cables rattled on rough roads, as an all-round package it was excellent.

They've made a few changes to the frame since then, notably the BB30 and tapered head tube, and I'd guess the carbon construction might be a bit more advanced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    the internally routed cables rattled on rough roads

My externally routed cables do that anyway on crappy roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

Ordered a PX SL Pro carbon 13 days ago and due to be delivered tomorrow fully built (no pedals) for 1330.

Excitement tempered by www.met.ie!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 patmustard79

Very exciting Bikenut!

Did you buy online??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

bikenut wrote: »
    Ordered a PX SL Pro carbon 13 days ago and due to be delivered tomorrow fully built (no pedals) for 1330.

Let us know if it arrives. Interested to see what their lead times are like at the moment as I have one on order also.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Just been in to have another look at the Scott CR1 Team - lovely bike but still shocked at full 105 (no ultegra) at that price - I suppose the 'Brand Tax' sucks up a bit of money there too. Is the frame on a CR1 really as amazing as its cracked up to be? Anyone ride one?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am not sure that Ultegra makes that much difference over 105 (other than weight.) Then, I am not sure a top end frame makes THAT much difference over a competent Chinese one either. Some, maybe, but marginal, and outside high-level competition, negligible. And I would be even less sure that entry level carbon from the big brands is any better than a competent, proven Chinese frame (like the PX.)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

bikenut wrote: »

Just dragging this up again to reply again to a question of bikenut's after ZE FATAL MISTAKE was made of posting in the "boards members' fleets thread". Instant deletion for you!

I was indeed waiting on a PX from Athlone, but got sucked into a 6-week-plus vortex of supply chain problems, so lost patience and pulled out... Just bad luck I guess, as there've been plenty of happy PX customers on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Been looking at carbon frame myself. Does anyone have any thoughts of dolan mythos with sram apex system. I can buy for 1550 from shop in Dublin. Not bothered bout buying on net.
    However I don't think I like the sram double tap system and think I'd prefer 105. Might cost me a little more but think could come out at bout 1600.
    I'm a novice and nobody has mentioned the dolan mythos at all, is it any good

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cloinsigh

ribble bikes offer outstanding value for money
    The bike builder allows you to spec the bike anyway you like

Bike radar gave the stealth great reviews and it's the exact same frame (same moulds in the same factory even) as the derossa r838 which is nearly twice the price

cloinsigh wrote: »
    ribble bikes offer outstanding value for money
    The bike builder allows you to spec the bike anyway you like

Bike radar gave the stealth great reviews and it's the exact same frame (same moulds in the same factory even) as the derossa r838 which is nearly twice the price

and they charge the earth for shipping

fyp

and i was going to buy a sportive racing a couple of yrears ago but theer was a3 month wait to restock so got a focus cayo (which i'm delighted with)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

and they charge the earth for shipping

fyp

and i was going to buy a sportive racing a couple of yrears ago but theer was a3 month wait to restock so got a focus cayo (which i'm delighted with)

what do they charge for shipping to ireland? was looking at them and the actual prices on their bikes seem very good (bike builder anyway)

what do they charge for shipping to ireland? was looking at them and the actual prices on their bikes seem very good (bike builder anyway)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/publish.asp?what=delivery&page=1

Ireland (Republic)Expect to receive your order within 3-5 working days.

Parts and Accessories £4.00 - £11.50**
    Turbo Trainers £11.50
    Frames £15.00
    Bikes - see bike delivery exceptions £126.50
    Bike Suitcases £126.50

(or if you know someone in the north £20.00 which is what i would have done)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

Planet X have reduced the SL Pro w/ Rival back down to £999 with plenty of availability.

Delighted to have bought mine 3wks ago for £1099 - ah well - that said maybe I'd have found it hard to resist the SL Pro SRAM Red for £1299!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cloinsigh wrote: »

Bikeradar reviews are often complete bollocks.

Advertisement