Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value Carbon road bike??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Verenti if you prefer SRAM shifting.
    Battaglin if you prefer Campag shifting.

Both have reasonable wheels and compact cranksets.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Just remember that you cant use wiggle for c2w as it is in the UK

aquanaut wrote: »
    Just remember that you cant use wiggle for c2w as it is in the UK

That's not true.

edit: even UK retailers charging in £ and applying UK VAT are not outside the scheme, although the VAT treatment is more complicated, but since Wiggle charge euro prices and apply Irish VAT there is no problem at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 patmustard79

Thanks for the quick replies guys,

I have e-mailed wiggle & think that I can buy through them if I decide to go that way. Just wondering which bike you'd choose? Or if anyone can suggest a better alternative?
    Thanks

Isnt it? I thought the whole idea was that it kept business in Ireland. Didnt realise that as I have been ignoring some bikes that you cant get in Irish lbs's. So if your company agree's it you can buy from the UK?

• Advertisement

Isnt it? I thought the whole idea was that it kept business in Ireland.

No, the scheme was brought in by the greenies as a way to get more people cycling.
    Didnt realise that as I have been ignoring some bikes that you cant get in Irish lbs's. So if your company agree's it you can buy from the UK?

Yes. It's the in Cycling Wiki (which is currently down, but the google cache is here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Lumen wrote: »
    That's not true.

edit: even UK retailers charging in £ and applying UK VAT are not outside the scheme, although the VAT treatment is more complicated, but since Wiggle charge euro prices and apply Irish VAT there is no problem at all.

+1. There will be no issues using wiggle through the c2w scheme, provided your employer has not placed restrictions on retailers itself.

I'd go with the focus myself, as im not mad about the ride position and look of the Verenti. Im in two minds about the lugs aswell, but the Rival is a good selling point over 105 if you like the doubletap system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

+1 on SRAM. Once you've used it you will find Shimano 'woolly' and 'slack' (waits to be shot down).

I bought from Wiggle through C2W so it is feasible, and I am happy with my Focus. There is now an Irish distributor for the brand too if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sparkie12

cube agree gtc pro, 1799.00 all shimano ultegra components, easton wheels, and an absolute looker as well

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Wiggle have unbeatable prices on Focus bikes. The Cayo 4.0 105 is around €1799 in Italy. I don't know what deal Wiggle struck with Focus but it seems weird that the UK online prices are so out of step with MRSP's for the rest of the EU but good for the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

If it were me spending your money, I would go for the Verenti 1st and have the Focus as my 2nd choice, the Verenti has the slightly better spec for me, but there's nothing much in it, the price difference would suggest you are paying for the slightly better wheels, but then again the Battaglin is the nicest looking IMO, and equally as well specced, but having no experience with Campag components.................I'm not really helping you here.lol, but I would narrow it down to these 3 for a start

Thanks for the help all.

Does anyone agree with sparkie12 on the cube?? Is it worth spending more to move up to ultegra?

The more I look the further from a decision I get!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Why pay an extra €600 for a groupset that is more or less the same performance wise as 105 but just a bit lighter, and personally I would class the SRAM Rival as between 105 and Ultegra, 105 and Rival are perfect groupsets to start out on and even keep for good, they are reliable and of good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Is the PlanetX price misquoted above or has it changed recently? Looks like it's €1,273 delivered to me. That's gotta be a strong option in that price range.

Frank, I was quoted €1,450 for SRAM rival & €1,600 for SRAM force by the guys in Athlone. As I'm doing the whole bike 2 work thing it would be more straightforward than the internet - are you just converting STG prices from the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robr32

hey Pat

I am with sparkie, did a lot of research and eventually went for the cube with 10% discount. love the bike and dealing with CCS was a pleasure.
    I can't compare with the PX as didn't make it to athlone but was conscious about possible delivery delays, that i have read about on other threads (patience is not my thing :D), however the PX guys did email me some very competitive prices.

overall i am biased to the Cube, but enjoyed the purchasing experience and now the bike.

rob.

enjoy rob, i scrimped and saved for the cube agree gtc pro, as i was saving i was questioning myself, would it be worth de money etc,,,
    have it now and can genuinely say WORTH EVERY PENNY a dream to ride.

sparkie12 wrote: »
    enjoy rob, i scrimped and saved for the cube agree gtc pro, as i was saving i was questioning myself, would it be worth de money etc,,,
    have it now and can genuinely say WORTH EVERY PENNY a dream to ride.

Sparkie - whats it like from a comfort point of view over a long distance? im seriously considering too!

i had bad crash in march, broken ribs, broken elbow, serious road rash, so it was then i started saving, something to give me hope for the rehab,,lol
    so im only back light cycling as i cant straighten de elbow yet, so hav to be careful, so havent gone on any really long spins, but from what i have done which are only 5 or 10km, big change from de usual 50 or 60km, it definitely handles beautifully, no prob with any discomfort, then again i had a claud butler roubaix, nice bike too, so weight wise, handling wise, im seeing a big difference, i suppose if ur goin from carbon to carbon i cant really comment.

Jesus sorry to here about the crash. No, not going carbon to carbon, first alu (trek 1.5) up. Its on another thread but mad looking at agree pro - just hoping its not too aggressive but it sounds good. If it was to aggressive or needed a lot more flexibility (im 36 and only back cycling just over a year) then I was going to go for the Scott CR1. Same boat as in ive been saving for 3 months, 3 more to go plus a c2w scheme and selling my own bike so as you know its a one shot deal. Hope your enjoying it and recovering well.

• Advertisement

well im 43 and back cycling only 2 years, it takes de pain out of de climbs ok, few bits to get used to on it are, steerings a lot flightier more responsive and i changed tyres from schawlbe ultremo zx 23s to continental gators 25s but thats more to do with elbow at moment will put 23s back when i can absorb our immaculate road surfaces again, out of the saddle u can still throw it around no issues there.
    but theres also some lovely lightweight alus out there too and not as expensive, depends wot ur goin to do on it, ie bit competitive sportives, long rides etc, then de agree is value.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭S'

+1 on the Cube. Bought a 2011 GTC Agree pro race a few months back from Trizone in Athlone. Great bike & not too many around. Go for it.

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

Sold! Ringing for a test ride on one now - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robr32

Sparkie

Sorry to hear about the accident, i am sure that 5k will soon be 50k.

Aquanaut

i find it very comfortable, this is my first road bike, i have been communting on a flat bar with road wheels for 3 years. it is not overly agressive, I have been doing 4-5 hours at the weekend since i got it 3 weeks back (it seems to call me!). planning my first 70-80k this saturday.
    one note of caution is that whatever ccs have in stock is the last of this years models. i was not sure between the 54 & 56, but as they had no 54 left and no ability/desire to order more, it was the 56 for me. Has worked out perfect.

Best of luck with the test ride. Rob.

Thanks. It does look like what you can find now is whats left for the year. I may have found an Agree Race in 58 but it might be gone unless I get a deposit down quick. Otherwise I hope that they'll keep next years model fairly much the same. Good luck with the weekend spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

+2 on the Cube. Bought a 2011 GTC Agree pro race a few months back from cyclesuperstore for 1529

class bike, looks great and turns heads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I'll throw my 2 cents in and suggest a Wilier Izoard
    I'm getting mine for 1550 with 105. They're available from that up to 2900 with Campag Centaur. Putting my own Mavics on it so a €2300 bike for 1k on btw

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jtwoods

Thanks for the help all.

Does anyone agree with sparkie12 on the cube?? Is it worth spending more to move up to ultegra?

The more I look the further from a decision I get!!

The Cube GTC PRO is a great bike, get in early though the 2010s sold out really quickly last year.

Thanks all - I'm edging towards the cube at this stage so will see if there's any available, Let me know if you get one Aquanaut

Focus Cayo Ultegra is now <€1,500 on Wiggle so that's a possible back-up..

Will let ye know how I get on

• Advertisement

Will do - likewise, im not going to be in a position to buy until October but might be putting down a deposit in the next few weeks. Then just save up through the Summer. Will keep you informed. Let us know if you go for it.

Advertisement