Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take note of the fire exits whenever you're at a club, gig or concert

Options
2»

Comments

I used to work in a cinema and there was one day where we had to evacuate the place for whatever reason. There were some people that were refusing to move, because they had paid money to see the movie and blah blah blah. During fire drills the managers instructed us to tell them once, if they refuse tell them again, if they then refuse to leave them there and tell the firemen where these people were sitting, so they could be forcibly removed.

The mind boggles sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I just seen a carbon copy niteclub fire that killed 156 on youtube. It happened in Russia in 2009. Again pyrotechnics were the cause. Same panic trying to get out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxCU0o4WtpE
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lame_Horse_fire

Are pyrotechnics banned in Ireland in enclosed spaces?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

mgmt wrote: »
    Are pyrotechnics banned in Ireland in enclosed spaces?

Was just asking a DJ I know about that and according to him (From an edited fb chat conversation):
    • they have to be passed through the dept of justice
    • takes about 6 weeks for clearance
    • there are only 3 companies in ireland that can use them
    • anyone who uses them has to get permission from all the departments and notify the fire services,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Equally as horrific, but another reminder how quickly fire can spread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11UP99uHMuI

It gets pretty bad towards the end, but the police were very quick to initiate an evacuation which Im sure prevented further deaths.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_City_stadium_fire)

The people cheering the fire, while others burned nearby, is just disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Christ almighty....all those videos are a tough watch. That poor guy on fire in the Bradford one, he just seemed to be accepting his fate :( Horrible stuff. It really is astonishing how quickly those fires spread!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Malty_T wrote: »
    Horrific to listen to.:(

Isn't there a rule like 90 seconds from the first signs of fire before it usually engulfs everything in its immediate surrounds? One huge problem in that Nightclub was the open space, it needs more pillars to stop people squashing one another on the way out.

The 90 second rule is for aircraft as far as i know! Cabin Crew must evacuate all passengers in 90 seconds from the time the command to evacuate is given! Fire or no fire(but its incase a fire starts if one hasent done so already)
    Speaking of fires and planes did anyone see the Manchester runway disaster? Like in the video fire broke out and most people dies trying to find the exits. Very sad! Thankfully there have been alot of changes to the aviation industry! But no matter where you all KNOW WHERE THE EXIT IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Thats horrific and scary. At 6mins 30 im sure you can see people moving in the fire at the doorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I'll give you another message... Follow staff instructions!.

+1

Irish people seem more concerned about finishing their drinks and not losing their place in the q for jackets than listening to staff doing a job to ensure safety. Or bizarrely refusing to move out of the way of emergency services personnel trying to get in somewhere to help out another human being.

Theres a few places in Dublin that are still working over capacity and that could potentially be death traps. OP thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I would wager that the absolute vast majority of pubs and clubs in Dublin are death traps. If you think of places you regularly go to, and imagine yourself as deep into the place as possible, would you know how to get out other than a front or back door?

Especially in pubs where you can barely move and imagine trying to get out in the panic of a fire...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

That is terrifying. My heart goes out to them and their families.

Something has just occurred to me - wouldn't it be a good idea that at the start of gigs the security workers points out the location of the fire exits? Just like on a plane, at the start of each journey.

I know it would seem 'uncool' or whatever you want to call it, but it would save lives.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The people cheering the fire, while others burned nearby, is just disgusting.

I think it's hard to call on that one. It might've looked like everyone got out onto the pitch. Almost everyone who died did so after going back towards the turnstiles under the stand that were locked and not out onto the pitch.

Again, going back to where they came in and the fire spread too quick to get back to the pitch...

First minute or so....there's always some truth in comedy..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Was just asking a DJ I know about that and according to him (From an edited fb chat conversation):

I was in a packed club lastnight! And there were there! I didnt know till they shot up either side of the stage! Freaked me out abit , because of what i saw in the video! I stoped and located every exit ! There was also fire eaters on stilts ! Blowing Flames up to the celing :( Really opened my eyes to the potential danger! And if i hadet seen the video i vouldnt have passed a bit of heed! But im glad im aware now though

Advertisement