Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take note of the fire exits whenever you're at a club, gig or concert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Christ jesus! I'm pretty unshockable but just looking at that was disturbing, those poor people. I can't believe how quickly the fire took hold, before the cameraman even got to the exit you could see the wall of black smoke coming behind him. Very scary and very sobering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The difference between being perfectly fine, or crushed and asphyxiated was a couple of seconds of reactions and an awareness of fire exits. Jesus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Those screams of the people still inside in the fire when the camerman walks around the back near the end is horrifying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

wow, thats pretty horrifying!

Was that recently? I'm surprised I haven't anything about it until now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I remember seeing this vid a good while ago. Its amazing how fast the fire & smoke spread. Are there any reports about the materials used in construction? seem like the roof had polystyrene tiles or something:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

It was February 20th 2003. Absoultely horrific .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Jesus Christ that was horrific.
    The pile up at the door really gives an image of what actually happens in these situations.
    Personally I think stuff like that should be shown on the news, as it would make people more aware and maybe they would think about checking exits in nightclubs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭titanium feather

God that's terrifying.

It does make you think ... I've been to my local nightclub countless times, but I couldn't say with certainty exactly where all the fire exits are. And besides which, if a fire did break out, my instinctive reaction (along with everyone elses) probably would be to run for the main entrance that I'm familiar with. And of course, when people have been drinking and aren't thinking clearly, it's only going to make things worse.

Those poor people. :( What an awful way to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Frightening !

I have been to many a dodgy club in both Ireland and abroad , and judging by the video above probably one match or flame from a disaster .

This video needs to go viral to open peoples eyes .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I have been in a couple of clubs in dublin and I can tell you that, apart from them being way overcrowded there is no way you would get out. It took us an hour to find an exit that we could use one night in one particular place and that was just trying to leave - I can only imagine what it would have been like if there had been a fire. Never went there again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

The pile up at the door really gives an image of what actually happens in these situations.

Can you imagine being trapped like that? The panic that they must have gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Pretty stupid to have them spark machines running in such an enclosed place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Pretty stupid to have them spark machines running in such an enclosed place.

That's why the manager of the band apparently got 10 years for more than 100 charges of manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Superbus wrote: »
    That's why the manager of the band apparently got 10 years for more than 100 charges of manslaughter.

He was released in 2008, so served just under 2 years. The families of the deceased supported his early release as he showed a great deal of remorse and accepted responsibility straight away.

The use of such pyrotechnics should be banned from indoor use at gigs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Horrific to listen to.:(

Isn't there a rule like 90 seconds from the first signs of fire before it usually engulfs everything in its immediate surrounds? One huge problem in that Nightclub was the open space, it needs more pillars to stop people squashing one another on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

He was released in 2008, so served just under 2 years. The families of the deceased supported his early release as he showed a great deal of remorse and accepted responsibility straight away.

Also the camera man's employer was fined pretty hefty ...
    "In February 2008, Providence television station WPRI-TV made an out-of-court settlement of US $30 million as a result of the claim that their video journalist was said to be obstructing escape and not helping people exit. WPRI-TV (owned by LIN Broadcasting) was filming a story on nightclub tragedies, and was there that night to film as part of their story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Heartbreaking. I couldnt watch after the 1st screams amid the black smoke. Thanks OP for hammering home this message.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Also the camera man's employer was fined pretty hefty ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

I find it a bit ridiculous that they were fined, really. Had he put down the camera, they would never have gotten any footage like what they have.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I find it a bit ridiculous that they were fined, really. Had he put down the camera, they would never have gotten any footage like what they have.

It's a two way thing though.
    You can kind of see him block people in the beginning though. He didn't have to block them in order to film

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Fcuk!:eek:

Not a nice thing to watch at all...especially watching people burning alive in all essence. It does hammer home that message and thankfully I always look for the exits in any place I've been to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Fcuk!:eek:

Not a nice thing to watch at all...especially watching people burning alive in all essence. It does hammer home that message and thankfully I always look for the exits in any place I've been to.

In all essence nothin man at one point between the 6th and 7th minute ( i am not going back to rewatch it for an accurate timestamp) you can actually see a person emerge from the front of the building on fire!

Horrible

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

GAAman wrote: »
    In all essence nothin man at one point between the 6th and 7th minute ( i am not going back to rewatch it for an accurate timestamp) you can actually see a person emerge from the front of the building on fire!

Horrible
    I'm trying to make it sound less horrible than it already is...that's not the only person I seen. Few secs after that moment, watch the front door...

Thats all I'm saying about this now, its not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Ideally, yes, but there's a few venues here in Ireland that make use of pyrotechnics and fire eating indoors.
    One venue I was in a few months ago had a fire eating show but there were fairly large amounts of unburned paraffin oil being sprayed over the crowd below. Place was jam packed at the time, doesn't really bear thinking about what could have happened had a stray spark made its way in to the crowd, or a punter went outside to the smoking area and a cigarette hits their jacket, damp with paraffin oil...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

absolutely horrific, nearly stopped watching a few times. It made me think of certain packed nightclubs in dublin.I wouldnt have a clue how to get out of one in particular except for up a narrow stairs!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Watched this vid years ago and ever since i make an effort to locate fire exits in nightclubs.
    Most of the dead were piled on top of each other at the front door, also read reports that one guy survived it, he was at the bottom of the pile of corpses with only slight burns, also sketchy reports of 1 man drowning at the bottom with the fire hoses causing a build up of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

KilOit wrote: »
    he was at the bottom of the pile of corpses with only slight burns,

oh god, that's horrific. hell on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Chilling and disturbing.

God love them, what an awful way to go. When he goes to the fire escape around the side and shouts in, the silence is eery, and then as he makes his away around to the front again, the screams of "help us" are haunting....the last few words in some poor terrified girls life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

This is a clip from the Santika Club fire

This is extremely disturbing and shows dead bodies. You have been warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4lHdbp91VI&feature=player_detailpage#t=54s

I'd like to remind people to make sure that you have smoke detectors in your house/apartment. I went out and bought three for my apartment after watching the video in the OP. Going to fit them tomorrow.

They're only a few quid, so you have no excuse.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7001552/Trail/searchtext%3ESMOKE+ALARM.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

@ approx 2:00 mins. Good call on the cameraman standing there and doing sweet **** all to help the people get out. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mgmt wrote: »
    Heartbreaking. I couldnt watch after the 1st screams amid the black smoke. Thanks OP for hammering home this message.

I'll give you another message... Follow staff instructions!.

Although not speaking about thr clip posted in this thread this is based on personal experience.

I was working in a club in 2001 when a fire was started in a fire escape/staircase.

Despite billowing smoke some people refused to follow our instructions to vacate towards the other fire escapes, some complained that the bar doesn't close until 2: 30 am, others complained they had only been served and had full pints, and others that they couldn't find their costs our bags.

Long story short.. Firefighters at the scene told me that was a regular occurence - ie customers not following instructions.

Just a cautionary note guys.

Advertisement