Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New UPC upgrade introducing remote record and "other great new features"

• 08-06-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭

So did anyone notice the upgrade today?
    Anyone know what the "new great features" are or how remote record might work?

I got the letter about it yesterday and followed the instructions within today, turned the UPC box back on after and nothing seems to have changed at all.So I'm wondering if I'm missing something.Anyone care to enlighten me? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No letter here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

no letter here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

And nothing on website...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Oh that's strange.On the letter it says the upgrade takes place on June 8th and says to turn on the box and then it off leaving it off for at minimum 15 mins and that the upgrade will be complete when you turn it back on. No sign of anything different after I turned it on though and no mention on the letter of how to use the remote record service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭JDxtra

UPC should learn from Sky regarding system updates - they should not require user intervention (i.e. power on/off), and should ONLY happen overnight where possible.

But that's going off topic so I'll be quiet now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

JDxtra wrote: »
    UPC should learn from Sky regarding system updates - they should not require user intervention (i.e. power on/off), and should ONLY happen overnight where possible.

But that's going off topic so I'll be quiet now...

thats what they seem to be doing now - auto power down at ngiht time and often the box will have to load first before turning back on.

got the letter yesterday - will try it now when i get home

this upgrade will wipe your tv programmes in your planner upon completion so thats why the letter was sent out

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

OK, so if remote record is being rolled out, how exactly would this work? Do you need to access the services over telephone, if so do you need UPC telephone or via an App?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Only letter I got was one warning me I went over my download limit (another thread).

By "turn off" do they mean set to standby or kill power ?

And will it wipe recordings ?

iMax wrote: »
    Only letter I got was one warning me I went over my download limit (another thread).

By "turn off" do they mean set to standby or kill power ?

And will it wipe recordings ?

think it's just standby - recordings in the past will be ok - future recordings will be wiped and will need to be set up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Did it give a year? 8th June 2012?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I also recieved this letter this morning stating these new features, I posted in the waterford board as this was where he outage was due to happen today 8th of June, people have been reportaing back in that thread that they were cut off there TV this morning but as most were going to work they havent said what happened after they got back home from work yet

as for me there has been no cut off as of yet, had BB and TV all day, im just hoping I wont be cut off tonight as the apprentice is on

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Seems UPC NL has an iPhone/iPad app

1284381947.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

After the update today (in Galway) our box is done.. Seems to be a serious problem with the software... Any tips?

jwcurtin wrote: »
    After the update today (in Galway) our box is done.. Seems to be a serious problem with the software... Any tips?

I'm in galway and as I followed the procedure outlined in the letter I presume I'm now updated.My upc box is working fine but there doesn't seem to be any change in it at all.No new features to report.Do you have any or are you not able to turn it on at all?

So perhaps this is a regional roll out first? Anyone from Dublin get this letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I'm in Galway and I got the letter on Monday. I also got a text today reminding me of the update. I haven't done it yet though.
    According to the letter, we're supposed to get to see the time displayed on the front of the box when you put it into standby. Did that happen for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

The time has always been on the box for me in Dublin and to answer the letter question - haven't got one yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Will one of the "other great features" be non-pixilated TV ?

Closer inspection of the letter seems to say that the remote record feature will come "in the future" so I presume the same will be true of the other "great new features".
    Bit of a damn squib of an update. Nothing seems to have changed at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Same here I done as the letter said, box is working fine but I cannot see what is new, its as it was before the so called upgrade.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Same here I done as the letter said, box is working fine but I cannot see what is new, its as it was before the so called upgrade.

It did say the upgrade was for future improvments. it was just a waste of time really for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What is the software version number of the update?

If ye haven't figured out, we are getting no new features. Boxes are being upgraded now to prep for future services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Bit of a damn squib of an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

got a letter yesterday, said the update was on monday 20th June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Same here in Templeogue,Dublin. Update Monday 20th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭wush06

Also got one yesterday clondalkin area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Hmmmm got nothing, have a HD box what do i need to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Hmmmm got nothing, have a HD box what do i need to do?

Wait until Monday.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I received a letter yesterday for an upgrade on Monday.

I'm in Greystones.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I don't get why they bothered sending the letter... if you power your box off every night won't it just happen anyway?

Red Alert wrote: »
    I don't get why they bothered sending the letter... if you power your box off every night won't it just happen anyway?

thats true - but this update clears out your TV planner it says, so you have to delete your series links and set them again after the update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Red Alert wrote: »

Not everybody powers off their box [every night].

Having said that, an email would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Im in the Lucan area and got it on friday...
    So perhaps this is a regional roll out first? Anyone from Dublin get this letter?

It doesn't surprise me that people wouldn't see any difference on there boxes after this software upgrade. If it is only an enabler for remote recording, and as such, the middleware on the STB might get getting changed. Wouldn't expect a noticeable difference to the front end. Hopefully a web/mobile app is in the pipeline for when they have the upgrades completed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shanemhoban

did the update actually clear the tv planner, my planner still has everything there?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

It doesn't surprise me that people wouldn't see any difference on there boxes after this software upgrade. If it is only an enabler for remote recording, and as such, the middleware on the STB might get getting changed. Wouldn't expect a noticeable difference to the front end. Hopefully a web/mobile app is in the pipeline for when they have the upgrades completed.

the iPhone app is already available, I presume it will work here after the upgrade. Hopefully an Android one will be along soon.

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/upc-remote-recording-app-downloaded-40000-times

Other featured from another thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68077088

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the software version after the update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

manc wrote: »
    the iPhone app is already available, I presume it will work here after the upgrade. Hopefully an Android one will be along soon.

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/upc-remote-recording-app-downloaded-40000-times

Other featured from another thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68077088

I have searched for Opnemen and UPC in the App Store, but nothing came up. What exactly is the App called?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

I think their new features might be those like Eurosport 3D (just spotted it on ch 426) or whatever they're testing on ch 750 - as well as the remote record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭ted1

App is.more than likely only available in the .nl app store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I went along, excited if you will, about the upgrade and I was giving UPC a chance to really impress me. One thing on the letter (Dublin, for 20th June) was that my recordings are safe. Now, all my recordings are gone.

I've lost the entire lot, including protected programmes: all live, once-off programming that I was involved with and meant a lot to me. Gutted.

The update has turned on the modems inside the UPC boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Ranicand wrote: »
    The update has turned on the modems inside the UPC boxes.

how do you know this?

dunworth1 wrote: »
    how do you know this?

Press menu then 1789 this brings up the hidden menus on the boxes.

The boxes now have an active upstream and downstream.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Press menu then 1789 this brings up the hidden menus on the boxes.

The boxes now have an active upstream and downstream.:)

i wonder can you connect to to net through them?

i remember i tired before but got a message stating only one modem per address our something similar

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i wonder can you connect to to net through them?

i remember i tired before but got a message stating only one modem per address our something similar

No UPC have the Ethernet port disabled.

For internet UPC go with stand alone modems.

They will use the modems in the boxes just for the boxes.

Video on demand will use these modems.

NTL in England use to use the in box modems and the Ethernet ports to provide broadband.

The boxes could feed other devices if UPC wanted.

Does anyone know the software version after the upgrade. I followed the procedure in the letter (put box into standby for 15 mins) and the version was the same before and after. 4.0.0.7E2

Maybe the upgrade was already done. Since my box goes into standby by itself all the time anyway.

I did notice that it failed to do a scheduled recording last night. It failed on a recording that I had scheduled AFTER I did all of the above!.

No UPC have the Ethernet port disabled.

For internet UPC go with stand alone modems.

They will use the modems in the boxes just for the boxes.

Video on demand will use these modems.

NTL in England use to use the in box modems and the Ethernet ports to provide broadband.

The boxes could feed other devices if UPC wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Still no letter, Im assuming my box is up to date!

Does anyone know the software version after the upgrade. I followed the procedure in the letter (put box into standby for 15 mins) and the version was the same before and after. 4.0.0.7E2

Maybe the upgrade was already done. Since my box goes into standby by itself all the time anyway.

I did notice that it failed to do a scheduled recording last night. It failed on a recording that I had scheduled AFTER I did all of the above!.

I am guessing there was no software update.

I think the reboot just got the modems going.

• Advertisement
Advertisement