Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egyptian man to fight a lion in direct combat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

yeah...with laughter

Or by more conventional means...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

As long as they put this music on in the background, I'm ok with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well, would you expect a chimpanzee to be able to kill a lion in a cage fight? Because a chimpanzee would rip a man to shreds.
    People keep Lions in captivity, it's not hard to get the upper hand on a lot of animals just by knowing their behaviour.

ScumLord wrote: »
    People keep Lions in captivity, it's not hard to get the upper hand on a lot of animals just by knowing their behaviour.
    Well, the behaviour of lions is to rip humans to shreds, if they so desire. It's hard to see how you'd turn this to your advantage. :)

By the way, back in the days when it was quite acceptable, they found that bears would kill lions in fights - they have far heavier and stronger bones apparently, and were able to break those of the big cats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

This episode could end in tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

orourkeda wrote: »

if I remember my WWF, he's just about to put that lion in a figure four leg lock

Well, the behaviour of lions is to rip humans to shreds, if they so desire. It's hard to see how you'd turn this to your advantage. :)
    Simply by not showing your back to the lion and running away you will confuse the lion as they don't know what to do when things don't act like prey. Secondly a lion on it's own won't be as confident as it normally would with a pride. Lions are designed for quick burst of power, they will weaken before the human over time.

A human could know where nerve bundles are just below the skin allowing it to paralyse an animal with one blow, Horses and sharks are animals we can control with a touch because of the way their bodies are wired.

I would say it's quiet likely people have killed more lions (even before the gun) than lions have killed humans.

We already dominate these animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Simply by not showing your back to the lion and running away you will confuse the lion as they don't know what to do when things don't act like prey. Secondly a lion on it's own won't be as confident as it normally would with a pride. Lions are designed for quick burst of power, they will weaken before the human over time.

A human could know where nerve bundles are just below the skin allowing it to paralyse an animal with one blow, Horses and sharks are animals we can control with a touch because of the way their bodies are wired.

I would say it's quiet likely people have killed more lions (even before the gun) than lions have killed humans.

We already dominate these animals.

with guns, spears etc. not with our bare hands in a cage like this eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

...it's not hard to get the upper hand on a lot of animals just by knowing their behaviour.

Great quote. Steve Irwin I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

It cannot be unseen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joemcg18

this is awesome this should defintely go ahead

with guns, spears etc. not with our bare hands in a cage like this eejit
    No guns, it's been a right of passage in African tribes for century's. Other tribes can just walk up to lions on a fresh kill and take what they want, no spears.

I really think a human trained to be able to kill a lion without weapons could do it and once he's done it once will only get better and better at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If he wants to give the lion a free meal, who are we to stop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

No guns, it's been a right of passage in African tribes for century's. Other tribes can just walk up to lions on a fresh kill and take what they want, no spears.

I really think a human trained to be able to kill a lion without weapons could do it and once he's done it once will only get better and better at it.

i'd have to see it to believe it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Id hate to see the animal die for the purpose of tourism but that aside, who wouldnt love to watch a man do battle with a lion in front of the pyramids!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I f he wanted to make it a fair fight the lion should be going in hungry.

My guess is the lion will be drugged up, or it has some dis-ability, blindness maybe.

Good luck to him, the only part of it I find stupid, is where he says 'I have challenged the lion, and now he has to fight'

I don't remember challenges working like that. Maybe in egypt. Where the mightiest soilders live :)

There's a big difference between spooking a lion into moving away, and actually fighting one. Can you think of a single way a man could kill a lion unarmed? And then factor in the fact that the lion is tearing you to bits while you attempt this maneouvre...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

There's a big difference between spooking a lion into moving away, and actually fighting one. Can you think of a single way a man could kill a lion unarmed? And then factor in the fact that the lion is tearing you to bits while you attempt this maneouvre...

First you hit him with your keyboard, then when he's dazed you confuse him with a strawman, an ad hominem and reductio ad absurdum combo, lash on a Godwin's Law and finish up with a false dichotomy. Celebrate by blasting the corpse with píss of course.

That's how keyboard warriors usually do it.

i'd have to see it to believe it to be honest
    Indeed, science now demands this fight goes ahead.
    Rear naked choke, the difference between a human choke and the lions killing choke is the humans will act almost instantly as we target the arteries carrying blood to the brain instead of suffocating the animal by blocking it's air.

If you can scare the lion it should also be counted as a victory because that's how most fights are won and lost in the wild.

:pac: Agreed
    Rear naked choke, the difference between a human choke and the lions killing choke is the humans will act almost instantly as we target the arteries carrying blood to the brain instead of suffocating the animal by blocking it's air.
    So you just have to approach the lion, get past its claws and teeth, straddle it from behind, locate where the arteries carrying blood to the brain are, and apply pressure on them for long enough for it to black out? Sounds easy enough! :P
    If you can scare the lion it should also be counted as a victory because that's how most fights are won and lost in the wild.
    I can't see the lion's manager agreeing to that condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

If you encounter a lion in the wild the thing to do is to make a lot of noise and advance upon them; if you run, you are prey and you can't outrun a lion.

However, I'm assuming they would be fighting in a cage. A caged lion would not run and would fight to the death*.

*The human's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Fishie wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear about the man who wants to fight a lion to boost Egypt's tourism?

There has been a huge negative reaction since the story did the rounds on Twitter, resulting in various petitions to the Egyptian government and calls to boycott Egyptian products if this goes ahead. The guy hasn't been granted a permit to fight the lion in front of the pyramids at Giza, as he wants to do.

This interview, posted online today, makes him come across as even more of a nutter. He's insisting that the fight will go ahead, despite the international reaction, and will be fought without weapons. He also says that the fight has a political message:
    I don't care how much the pay per view costs this i have to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

reckon if you leapt at a lion neck, it'd stick a paw in your way.. paw full of 4 inch claws that is

dont think you'd be able to stay on the lions back long enough to knock it out either.. they can reach back there with their paws (and aforementioned claws)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Wossack wrote: »
    reckon if you leapt at a lion neck, it'd stick a paw in your way.. paw full of 4 inch claws that is

dont think you'd be able to stay on the lions back long enough to knock it out either.. they can reach back there with their paws (and aforementioned claws)
    A slash of one paw across the neck and it would be game over and dinner time for the lion.

My money on yer man anyway or if he can't do it I say we kidnap UFC fighter and have him fight the lion.

I'm going to win so much money on this bet I just know it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just reading that the average male African lion weighs in at 400 - 430 lbs. Captive animals are usually in excess of 500 lbs. Id imagine if it charged you or swiped at you, the issue of broken bones and concussion would be as big a problem as any blood loss you might sustain.
    Dont see how he could do it really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

My money on yer man anyway or if he can't do it I say we kidnap UFC fighter and have him fight the lion.

I'm going to win so much money on this bet I just know it. :cool:

A man wearing armour and with a spear/sword would have some (small) chance.

An unarmed, unarmoured man would have practically zero chance unless the lion was sick, intoxicated or had no legs

Advertisement