Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick fish

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Black spots can be a sign of ammonia poisoning usually, however, it says here
    it is the sign of healing from injury caused by ammonia, rough handling, low pH, skin flukes or goldfish ick, and can appear on the skin or fins.

ick is whitespot. So maybe he's healing up, ick can leave open wounds on the skin where the spots fall off.

If the oranda is attacking the tails of the other fish, you might need to get a tank divider, some fish just take against other fish.

My fantail will attack and kill other fish, he's done in two so far, sometimes he gets aggressive with the ranchus and we have to separate them. (I use a new grill my bf bought for his barbecue)
    1Ugwdl.jpg

Sometimes it's due to the fish feeling crowded, I've just bought a 300L tank to set up for mine in the hope it stops him getting territorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd heard before that fish will attack another fish if it's carrying a disease... the Oranda seems to be the healthiest of them and was wondering if that was what's causing it.

Just improvised a temporary second tank for the Oranda. Currently swimming around in a 14 inch by 8 inch 6 inch deep tupperware container with a wire cooling rack as a lid to stop her from jumping out. Took 50% of the water from the main tank and some substrate along with 50% new water which I also treated with EXIT.

Off to adverts etc. to find a second tank I think... really, really can't afford it though.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just improvised a temporary second tank for the Oranda. Currently swimming around in a 14 inch by 8 inch 6 inch deep tupperware container with a wire cooling rack as a lid to stop her from jumping out. Took 50% of the water from the main tank and some substrate along with 50% new water which I also treated with EXIT.

Off to adverts etc. to find a second tank I think... really, really can't afford it though.

A divider would be much, much cheaper!

Cool, will have a look for one tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement

Got my hands on a second tank, only a 20l but the Oranda's still only about 1.5 inches long so it'll do until I can get something more apropriate... filled 75% with water taken out of the main tank and filter sponge from main tank squeezed in the water.

The Ranchu finally succumbed to his injuries from the Oranda this morning. :(

Aw no way. Sorry to hear that.

With the spare tank tho I'd recommend cutting a small bit of the sponge from the other tank and putting it in, sometimes a squeezing isn't enough to quick cycle the tank.

How's the common doing?

Looking a lot healthier, especially since I got the eSHa 2000 yesterday. scales and fins are recovering, white spots going (but not fully gone, going to continue treatment another few days). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Silverfish wrote: »
    Aw no way. Sorry to hear that.

With the spare tank tho I'd recommend cutting a small bit of the sponge from the other tank and putting it in, sometimes a squeezing isn't enough to quick cycle the tank.

How's the common doing?

Yes I agree. Also, remember that alot of the bacteria live in the gravel too so it would be worth while transferring some gravel as well.

didn't want to move gravel as they're different colours so I moved one of the ornaments into the new tank to get it going.

• Advertisement

Update: White spot is all gone, the common goldfish is thriving since adding the eSHa 2000. Looking much better, fins are healing nicely and the black patches are receding or completely gone. I think the Oranda got some of the spines from the top part of her tail though, so no idea if it'll ever get back to it's former glory.

Got perfectly clear tests tonight too... well, Nitrate at 5 but that's fairly normal considering carbon media was out of filter. Added the carbon filter media back. Hoping this means the tank is cycled now. :)

The oranda is swimming along perfectly happy in the new tank. Doing 25% water changes on it every day til it cycles. :)

That's great news!

My nitrates are normally in the region of 20, as long as they don't go over 40 you're ok.

Advertisement