Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB testing

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Why did you have to pay for both tests? You're going to have to sell sometime, but most predictions say that beef should rise again within a few weeks if you want to hold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

There is no point worrying about animals that may show up with tb you just have to keep operating away as its just unnecessary stress worrying about it. Buying in cows over 6 month out of test will have to be retested by you that's the rules and don't bother with cows if you don't want to comply we all know its a stupid rule but it's their as a concession to the dairy farmers allowing them to sell cows out of test over 6 months but making the buyer test them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I thought you only ever have to pay for 1 herd test a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Does anyone know why you have to do two tests . Surely in any environment one test is enough ?

I can see why people are leaving the land !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

1 test was Dec 2023 next was Feb 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Seadin

It doesn't make sense in some cases to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I was told by the department a few years ago that you only have to pay for 1 test in any 10 month period. If I to have a test in the morning then I would have to pay for 1 if I paid for a test anytime after the 6th May 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

If you have a recent, previous history of TB (even though clear now) and neighbouring, adjacent farms go down also, they'll probably make you test again within 6 months of previous test.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We read our tb test this morning. An Australian vet. New enough in the practice. Every animal went through the crush number taken and neck felt or measured for reading. The way it should be. I know we all want a clear test, but we're paying for them to be tested and read properly so it should be done right . Took 3.5 hours to read them. No tb in Australia. We'll never get rid of it here the way some vets test. We are clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

Fully agree, my vet always tests by the book and at reading every tag is read by the vet even though I'll tell him the tag numbers as he checks the skin he will still read the tags himself. We didn't have tb with 40 years yet all the neighbours are showing up on a regular basis with tb and they seem to get miraculously clear when they want to sell cattle in the mart it looks to me that vets are being put under pressure to give a clear test so that animals can be sold in the mart, I have a lot of pity for vets that we in such a vulnerable position

Advertisement