Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB testing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Thanks Jed, i don't see that form on the dept site but I'll get one from the DVO anyway.

now the question is LM or CH.......

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jed_Bartlet

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Thanks Jed, i don't see that form on the dept site but I'll get one from the DVO anyway.

now the question is LM or CH.......

They're not in the website, it's just a computer generated form that the Dept. create. If you ring them and ask to speak to a VI and tell them what you want, they should just print it and post it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Dozer1, your local DVO can issue you with an ER37A permit permitting you to buy in a replacement stock bull or a replacement suckler calf. It won't affect any further reactors or payments and if the replacement bull goes down, the department will pay out on it.

Buying in heifers, cows or bullocks does affect disease grant payments but so long as you ring the DVO (you shouldn't even have to sign anything, an ER37A permit only has to be signed by a Veterinary Inspector) and tell them what you want, you should be fine.

sorry for providing info as in my case I usually buying cows, bollocks heifers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

sorry for the zombie thread !!

Will be feeding animals their ration later, and just to have a look myself before reading of test, is it the bottom lump is the indicator of a reactor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Top lump bird tb, bottom lump trouble . Tbh dont bother looking you'll only annoy yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭893bet

Got a Dept notification that a Neighbour is gone down with TB. He only has a small suckler herd but son has been buying calves so maybe that’s the source.

We only share approx 400 metres boundary in a single field. What’s the chances that they would put me on a 4 monthly test cycle?

we have about the same boundary with a cattle dealer, whos actual farm is 25 miles away, yet when he goes down , we have to put up with the extra testing

thank you. I would not bother looking, but my father will be out with the flash light having a good look. what ever keeps him happy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Danny healy ray

tb lumps = up for heaven down for hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I had one go down in the factory a few weeks back. Testing in 2 months followed by another test 60 days later. Neighbours got letters just notifying them, but no requirement to test as of yet. Probably will be dependent on how I go with the test and further cattle killout. Closed herd only for calves bought in the spring from a single farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I'm after being put into a contingency tb testing programme. I have to test before 1st of March. It's an absolute joke of a system and puts a lot of extra stress on livestock farmers. Especially this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

Buying calves or young cattle in does not seem to increase your risk of tb Buying in cows seems to be far higher risk of tb. I've a couple of neighbours with basically closed dairy herds who are basically buying nothing in and are showing up with tb on a regular basis other neighbours around never have tb the same badgers are on all the land around for some reason if it gets into a herd it seems to be difficult to get out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

My own opinion is that stress and overstocking are resulting in cows with weaker immune systems making them more susceptible to TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

TB is very difficult to get rid of and why when gets into a farm or an area stays there for years. Seen lads with who have one cow to 5 acres and minded like pets that were decimated with TB so stress and overstocking not the main issue imo

https://tbhub.co.uk/preventing-tb-breakdowns/biosecurity/tb-in-the-environment/

"An interesting and potentially significant factor in the successful persistence of mycobacteria in the environment, is their potential to survive and replicate within amoeba and other single celled organisms that live in the soil, in water and in the surface water film on grass."

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Neighbour today had 7 suckler cows go down out of 8.he run them on 70 acres of middling ground. Tested them 4 months ago by the same vet and they were as clear as a whistle. We are in a black spot down here in West cork. 1500 milking cows gone out of the drinagh area alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭morphy87

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

I don't know but what I do know is this man is 70 years of age and the few cows kept him going. He sat at the top of my table this evening and said that was him finished with farming now.not alone are they culling the cattle but they are culling the farmers as well.

Very disappointing when you lose so many from a small herd,

100% agree most of the dairy cows going down in my area are under severe stress not getting enough to eat and trying to produce milk at the same time also slurry being put on the grazing platform and the cows eating this grass/sluuy mix 2/3 weeks later all summer long which cannot be good for animal health

I have great pity for anyone going down with tb and in many cases the farmer has done nothing wrong it's just a mess that could be solved in a matter of months if the dept wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

If and when the history of the demise of farming smallholdings is ever written, tb will feature strongly . It is simply impossible to understand . I know of a man who’s herd was restricted for the first time in late 2023 ( first time since testing started in the late 1950s )when a STORE animal he sold at a mart was killed shortly afterwards with lesions . He buys in from one herd only and that has been the case for the last thirty years.Has had three clear tests and still cannot sell .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

the department's latest scapegoat is they're blaming zero grazers, badger poo and urine mixed in the forage, had a dept guy in the yard a couple of weeks ago and he started this sh1te,

told him i have dealing with tb since the 1960s and if the dept had been efficient in their work tb would have been eradicated long before zero grazers were invented. conversation took a quick turn.

deer and badgers certainly responsible in cases and many believe the skin test is not totally accurate

I was going to make the point about the zero grazer but this problem is around long before them, but a neighbour of mine went down during the spring, his cows were clear in the autumn but he was zero grazing an outside block and he is blaming it on the zero grazer as there is a lot of deers where he was zero grazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If the farmer didn’t use the zero grazer and made bales instead would it reduce the risk?

I really don’t know but my friend was doing a lot of zero grazing and he had a lot of abortions so eventually after a long time it was discovered that the cows were aborting from **** in the grass that was coming in the zero grazer so that had to stop zero grazing that area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Seadin

Would you buy bales off a farmer whos herd were wiped out with TB shortly after the bales were made?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Have a single bull weanling to sell is it tested within a year or last 6 months ? I know cows are different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Passed a dead badger on the side of the road about a mile away last week. Passed another one dead today. I don’t know if there been shot or hit by cars. Often heard that they are sick and get hit by cars. I’ve to test again at the end of the month cause lots around me are down. Every 4 months until the department say otherwise. We could get a Covid vaccine in couple of years. And there is a tb vaccine. But no desire to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Seadin

I sent animals to factory. One of them came back with a suspected tb lesion. Today they confirmed it was TB. All my last herd of cattle are gone and slaughtered. I have new ones in from another owner after all the previous animals were slaughtered. Now I have to do two TB consecutive tests on these new animals and the first can't be done until 60 days after the suspected animal was detected. Did a TB test in December due to a neighbour going down and no findings all clear. Now I have to do two consecutive TB tests on a completely different herd of animals which makes no bloody sense at all. The new animals came in a day after the last animal was slaughtered. Jobs for the boys it seems. It be different if I had cattle from the previous year still with me or I had stores but I had nothing. Makes my blood boil.

Post edited by Seadin on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Got locked up last October. Clear tests in December and February Both of which I have to pay for.

Have very heavy cull cows and a couple of bullocks ready for factory but afraid to sell in case of any showing leasions. Have yearlings to sell usually a couple of repeat customers buy mid March and I don't want to lose these men otherwise I would have took them to the mart.

Need replacement dairy stock but most offered for sale are more than 6 months tested, more hassle and risk if I buy them.

Some f##k up of a system.

Advertisement