Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Do You Tip The Barber?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Nothing. The price is the price as far as I'm concerned. If a hair cut was say €9 and I handed a tenner then maybe I'd say to keep the change because that's how much I'd usually expect to pay for a hair cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

got my haircut here in canada last week, $23 for the haircut and $5 tip...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

in my opinion you shouldnt be tipping a barber.

there is no need for it.

i dont really agree with tipping anyone to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

mfceiling wrote: »
    Couple of euros......nice bit of a chat and a nice haircut - it's worth it to get 15 minutes of peace without a child hanging off my leg or getting sick on me!!

:D when you put it like that...class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'm rarely happy with my haircut, but I was happy with my haircut, and he was sound and I had the cash to spare, I'd tip, a good haircut is a rarity....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I should start giving barbers tips.

"Shut the fuck up if I give monosyllabic replies and am clearly not in the mood to chit-chat!"

Real reply - nothing usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Wow... I thought everybody tipped their barber?! Damn, I've been tipping like a fool for years now (although, for most of those years I had long hair so didn't actually see a barber... but...)

At the moment I pay €15 for the haircut and call it €20! That's a 33% tip (isn't it?) ... GAH! Also now it looks like €15 is on the more expensive side of things. May have to re-evaluate, especially after my recent "where'd my hair go?!" incident. Gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Looks like tipping is most certainly not the norm for a haircut. I get a trim every 4-6 weeks so I've a while to mull over whether to tip or not next time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

My name is TommyKnocker and I am a Tipper :eek::D:D:D

I get my hair cut about every 4 weeks (it's naturally curly and unruly and I like to keep it short and neat) and go to a hair salon. Wash and cut costs €25. Same guy usually cuts my hair each time and I have never been disappointed with the result. Guy always takes his time, I never feel rushed. Also I never have to pre book, I am seen to when I just walk in off the street. I would always tip €10 and also give a gift voucher for Christmas.

But as I said I am a tipper. I also tip taxi drivers, bin and post folks at Christmas, delivery drivers if I have stuff delivered etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Costs 20 and I always tip 5. Worth it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If I don't have to wait at all and its done relatively quickly I'll give a euro which is a 14% tip where I usually go, thats generous enough to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Costs me €9 so he gets a euro....If everyone gave him a euro i reckon thats an extra €6 euro an hour or €48 a day on top of his wage. Thats about €12k a year :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jmn89

I've never even considered tipping the barber actually - glad the consensus is agreeing!

On a side note - does anybody else *really really despise* the small talk? I go to Grafton Barber and every time I end up shooting the breeze the whole time and would much rather just listen to the radio and tune out. I guess it helps them to pass the day but I'd be much more likely to tip if they picked up on the cues and enjoyed the quiet time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm in the US and I've never tipped a barber.

NTM

God help us. A dollar wouldn't break you surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

My barber charges me €10.00.
    I give him €3 - €4 tip (depending on how much change I have on me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

At home it depends:

If it's the guy that owns the place I wouldn't tip him, he's making the full 12-15 quid which i think is a more than a fair amount for a haricut.

If I went in on a slow Monday when one of the Polish girls were there, I'd give them a few quid if they did a decent job as they were probably picking up not much more than minimum wage an hour.

Here, the guys work on tips so the haircut is about 3.50 euro, they get about 1.50 euro off me (about price of 2 beers in a local bar) and usually do a really great job despite my oversized head and appalling hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hairways

Mick990 wrote: »
    I don't understand this tipping a barber or taximan. They both are working pretty much tax free and in my opinion charging way more then they should .

That's a bit harsh !!!!

You don't have to tip if you don't want to.
    I charge €12 for a dry cut and €16 for a wash cut and blow dry.
    Most get a dry cut and give €15.00 or pensioners are €8 and leave €10

In saying that, most of my customers have been coming to me for almost 20 Years and I know them very well.

If you don't it makes no difference. I also think its wrong that some people feel they have to leave a tip. You should only leave a tip if you want to not because you feel you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

about the same as my dentist

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

for a four and a two he can feck off , also please shut up and don't have the TV or radio on

If you don't like your barber go to a new one.

I pay 10 euro everytime I get my hair cut, I will give an extra fiver at Xmas. That's it. He spends 15 minutes on my hair and is someone I know well enough, I don't think he expects a tip.

In fact, any barber that expects a tip is a moron.

Also, tipping 5 euro on a 13 euro cheque? Are you nuts OP? If it was a restaurant the 2 euro would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm going back there in the AM and asking for at least €3 of my fiver back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shotgun_TEXAS

I feel guilty now went into the new barbers, been a few times but this day i was using a consaw all day indoors my hair was like a wire brush so i was next sat in the chair and he was puzzled said no no may wash and he had to wash it and it was the Polish employee lovely fella tbh still charged the normal price 11 euro and I never tipped but I was not driving ten mile home to wash, ten mile back then ten mile home again
    That was one instance I should have tipped. I also fell asleep in that barbers waiting for a cut after work one day lol

Advertisement