Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What eats Zombies ?

Options
  • 02-06-2011 1:38am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would crows pick out their eyes or would rats eat them, could we release the animals from the ezoo ?

Or insects, like would bluebottles lay eggs in them ?

What sort of immune system do they have, could we give them a cold ?

Are they stopped by electric fences ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Would crows pick out their eyes or would rats eat them, could we release the animals from the ezoo ?

I dont think animals would want to eat them, as arent they rotting and stink?

Bluebottles may lay eggs, but i'm not sure if that would bother the zombies, or if the eggs would survive.

I dont think an immune system comes into play, the body is already clearly as ill as it can get, anything else we'd give ti would only be secondary

Electric fences, Id expect it would be the same as any other animal, just without the pain reflex to electrocution. physical damage could still occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

What if the animals then became infected? Zombie lions and tigers and bears...oh my!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

anything that ate a zombie would either die, or become a zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Most animals wouldn't go near a zombie while it's moving. Even something like a lion would be thrown by zombie behaviour. Lions don't know how to react to an animal that doesn't run away from it.
    Possibly but we don't know what nutritional value zombie flesh would have maybe it's just plain toxic, which is my assumption.
    I doubt it, the body is dead so there's nothing else for any other illness to do. These diseases need a particular type of environment to survive.
    I would guess the fence would have a reduced effect as electricity effects the nervous system and brain.

Overall I think the only things that will be able to feed on zombies is bacteria. Nothing escapes bacteria.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Most animals wouldn't go near a zombie while it's moving. Even something like a lion would be thrown by zombie behaviour. Lions don't know how to react to an animal that doesn't run away from it.

Possibly but we don't know what nutritional value zombie flesh would have maybe it's just plain toxic, which is my assumption.

I doubt it, the body is dead so there's nothing else for any other illness to do. These diseases need a particular type of environment to survive.

I would guess the fence would have a reduced effect as electricity effects the nervous system and brain.

Overall I think the only things that will be able to feed on zombies is bacteria. Nothing escapes bacteria.

Maybe maggots/flies can eat zombies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

There's many different opinions on the matter depending on which type of zombie or viral infection is within the host.

In my opinion no animal insect/bacteria/lion/whatever, would go near a host of the solanum virus because of the toxicity, the virus is known to kill cells incredibly quickly and I believe that because the virus does not infect animals like it infects humans that it would just kill it off.

Viruses are formed to serve one VERY specific purpose, if it's in an environment different to the one it's mutating in (humans) it will only be partially effective (the death bit but not the revival bit)

It could be possible in types of monkeys or chimpanzees because they are so close genetically to us.

I'm not a professional, this is my opinion :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ScumLord wrote: »
    Nothing escapes bacteria.

OMG :eek:

Zombie e. coli

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    It could be possible in types of monkeys or chimpanzees because they are so close genetically to us.
    Like rage.

We can already share flu with birds.

Our last common ancestor was about 300 million years ago.

Zombie e. coli
    no..... much worse........ ZombiE-Coli........ :O
    Like rage.

We can already share flu with birds.

Our last common ancestor was about 300 million years ago.
    true but if we look at animal testing today they will mainly use our fuzzy little counterparts, this can't just be for the larf of having monkeys around the office/lab :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

So we'll never see a zombie sneeze or have a sniffle? :(

adser53 wrote: »
    So we'll never see a zombie sneeze or have a sniffle? :(

nose would most likely blow off....

plus would need lungs to blow out the air, and a moving diaphram, none of which would be working in the old zed heads.

Zombies on a threadmill - this could solve our energy problems - slow steady power

phill106 wrote: »
    Maybe maggots/flies can eat zombies?
    They are garbage disposals but I think they mainly focus on dead flesh. While zombie flesh is technically dead there may be some other reactions happening at the cell level that would make their flesh maggot resistant.

The thing is it's mostly the bacteria in your stomach at the moment that will lead to your decomposition after you die, if that bacteria has somehow been destroyed by the zombie virus they obviously have a good defence against even the micro organisms that really rule the living world.

Zombie e. coli
    In the bacteria world I wouldn't be at all surprised if such a thing already exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

If you removed all a zombie's teeth, could it still eat you?

In the beginning I believe it could (when it first becomes a z) because a persons nervous system is no longer working the zombie has no idea of pain and therefore can use his muscles to its full potential (but they will be damaged much more faster) with that in mind I believe that a zombie with no teeth could tear at your flesh for shear force alone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Good ol mother nature.In the form of WEATHER and other plenty of littel creatures called bacteria.If you ever check out the websites about forensic "body farms" you will see how quick various corpses decay in various different situations indoors or outside.The only difference is our corpses are still abit animated.However,they dont look for shelter,[ever see a Z standing in the rain with a brolly?] So natural human live skin and body defences are gone.IE the skin regenerating to protect itself and secreting oils etc.Without skin muscle rot set in fast and the whole body starts to fall apart,not to mind the internal organs are rotting away which is caused by bacteria and microbes . In some cases the gas has been known to literally blow a corpse apart!!
    As this disease,plauge,whatever only affects and inhabits the brain as there is no flowing blood,and once the brain is destroyed it ceases to host there..what happens when a Z totally rots away and is only a skeleton?does the skeleton still keep going?? Not to mind when rigour mortis sets in and goes,and sets in in finality.They are going to stiffen up so much that it is hardly possible for them to move without literally breaking apart.

Animals,I do think carnivores like dogs ,foxes wolves etc ,will be able to scavange on the dead,as they are carnivores ,and are adapted to eat rotten meat diseased or not with no bother to their digestive systems.
    They do anyway on unburied dead inwar zones,as do our old friend the rat.
    They might become carriers themselves in that they bite you it might transfer,but will they become zombie animals ...doubt it.Would be one to watch,but certainly carrion birds like crows ,magpies,seagulls,vultures will have so much to eat that they will be walking rather than flying.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

If you removed all a zombie's teeth, could it still eat you?

Nah..Just gum you to death..:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Good ol mother nature.In the form of WEATHER and other plenty of littel creatures called bacteria.If you ever check out the websites about forensic "body farms" you will see how quick various corpses decay in various different situations indoors or outside.The only difference is our corpses are still abit animated.However,they dont look for shelter,[ever see a Z standing in the rain with a brolly?] So natural human live skin and body defences are gone.IE the skin regenerating to protect itself and secreting oils etc.Without skin muscle rot set in fast and the whole body starts to fall apart,not to mind the internal organs are rotting away which is caused by bacteria and microbes . In some cases the gas has been known to literally blow a corpse apart!!
    As this disease,plauge,whatever only affects and inhabits the brain as there is no flowing blood,and once the brain is destroyed it ceases to host there..what happens when a Z totally rots away and is only a skeleton?does the skeleton still keep going?? Not to mind when rigour mortis sets in and goes,and sets in in finality.They are going to stiffen up so much that it is hardly possible for them to move without literally breaking apart.

Animals,I do think carnivores like dogs ,foxes wolves etc ,will be able to scavange on the dead,as they are carnivores ,and are adapted to eat rotten meat diseased or not with no bother to their digestive systems.
    They do anyway on unburied dead inwar zones,as do our old friend the rat.
    They might become carriers themselves in that they bite you it might transfer,but will they become zombie animals ...doubt it.Would be one to watch,but certainly carrion birds like crows ,magpies,seagulls,vultures will have so much to eat that they will be walking rather than flying.

Many people believe that the solanum virus is actually toxic to all beings, including sources of bacteria, meaning that animals wouldnt actually go near them, you could be right though :P

and i completely agree about the weather

Does Solanum virus actually exist,or is it a fictional trigger for a zombie outbreak??:confused:

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Does Solanum virus actually exist,or is it a fictional trigger for a zombie outbreak??:confused:
    Haha :)

the solanum virus is the virus that is described by max brooks, the author of the zombie surivival guide and world war Z, it's what most of the users on this forum use as the.... bibles of Zombies.
    it's what, when push comes to shove, many of us will use as a basic guideline in surviving the inevitable Zombie apocolypse.

Both are incredibly interesting reads and will even give you Grizzly, a lot to think about :)

within the walls of these forums, the solanum virus DOES exist, the rest of the world just doesn't know it yet

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    within the walls of these forums, the solanum virus DOES exist, the rest of the world just doesn't know it yet
    if it's a virus there may be a vaccine

or would it have side effects ?

if it's a virus there may be a vaccine

or would it have side effects ?

none have been developed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

phill106 wrote: »
    plus would need lungs to blow out the air, and a moving diaphram, none of which would be working in the old zed heads.

How do they groan and make noises if they don't have operable lungs/diaphragms?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I know they aren't technically zombies, but the infected bodies in 28 Days Later were fed upon by birds...
    That is how Frank got infected, he was trying to shoo a bird off a corpse and some of the blood dripped into his eye
    . It doesn't appear that the birds were infected though, or else it would have been a cross between a zombie film and The Birds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Mary Harney. Granted, her running of the Dept For Health probably generated the Z virus to begin with, but at least she'd be immune to the corruption due to her slender physique. And also, any zombie would rather return to being a corpse than be inside her.

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    How do they groan and make noises if they don't have operable lungs/diaphragms?
    The lungs would work in the sense they could pull in and expel air but their function is to get oxygen into the blood stream. That part wouldn't happen, so they could make noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Other zombies would eat zombie corpses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

But what if the person was vegetarian before becoming infected with zombieism.
    I'm sure that would be a moral dilemma for the unfortunate undead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

stoneill wrote: »
    But what if the person was vegetarian before becoming infected with zombieism.
    I'm sure that would be a moral dilemma for the unfortunate undead.
    Then they'd want "graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains"
    read that joke somewhere recently, not sure where though =)

Advertisement