Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSP V Diaz UFC137

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    I agree, GSP has no confidence in his chin since the Serra fight and will want to take Diaz down quick. The UFC built the Shields fight for PPV sales only. This is the biggest fight he has ever fought as Diaz can KO him and stay with him on the ground. Diaz need to come out flying and go for the KO or put GSP on his back !!

That's the problem, i don't think Diaz can KO him or put him on his back. While Diaz is a much better striker than Serra, Serra has much better one-punch power. Diaz would have to land a large number of strikes to take GSP out, and I think GSP will be able to put Diaz on his back if he doesn't feel comfortable standing with him.

Diaz is probably as worthy of a shot as anyone, but I still don't think he has enough to beat GSP (or the likes of Fitch or Story for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

vangoz wrote: »
    UFC fanboyconfused.gif, fanboy isnt in my vocabulary - never used the term.

Apologies, I got ahead of myself.
    The only threat shields posed was on the ground and everyone knew he hadnt a chance of getting it there. All of GSP's recent oppnents were very 1 dimensional and timid, Diaz poses problems from his back and on the feet, has great chin and really good cardio + he looks to finish fights and has done in his last two outings.
    I wouldnt be desperate to see GSP lose, he's a great fighter, I just want to see him in a challenging fight.

I think GSP makes fighters look like that. I wouldn't call fighters like Dan Hardy or Thiago Alves timid and I wouldn't call Penn or Koscheck one dimensional.
    Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    I agree, GSP has no confidence in his chin since the Serra fight and will want to take Diaz down quick. The UFC built the Shields fight for PPV sales only. This is the biggest fight he has ever fought as Diaz can KO him and stay with him on the ground. Diaz need to come out flying and go for the KO or put GSP on his back !!

So could Penn and Koscheck supposedly. I really have no idea how you could rate Diaz's chances any greater than theirs to call it his biggest fight ever.

Its going to be a great fight but i didnt want it, yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

seadnamac wrote: »
    Apologies, I got ahead of myself.

I think GSP makes fighters look like that. I wouldn't call fighters like Dan Hardy or Thiago Alves timid and I wouldn't call Penn or Koscheck one dimensional.

So could Penn and Koscheck supposedly. I really have no idea how you could rate Diaz's chances any greater than theirs to call it his biggest fight ever.

No bother man ha :)

Yeah I agree wouldnt usually call them timid fighters, its just that they knew they had such gaping holes in the ground game they didnt want to commit to strikes which made them timid in their respective fights with gsp.

Penn isnt one dimensional as much as the others, but very small for gsp + the wrestling on top of that. BJ has great sweeps from bottom, but doesnt attack subs the way diaz does.

Koscheck striking is based on winging punches untill one connects and only connects if his oppenent is worried about the take down.... while Diaz works body/head and strings nice combos together.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I think Diaz is the first fighter to fight GSP and believe he can win. Best summary of this fight I heard was on MMA Live where Pat Militech said Diaz would take two to give one. The guy has a chin I don't see Georges testing and ridiculous cardio. No one can say it's not a tough fight for Georges. I expect him to mix it up on the feet as well as takedwons. Diaz is a brawler so if Georges can utilise the jab again and then use the takedowns whenever he's in trouble. I also feel Georges best performances have been against the better competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

GSP is simply too powerful and strong for this fight. He will decide if it goes to the ground (which I think it will) and will spend a lot of time being stood back up again :)

GSP can also pick apart a fighters game and expose its weaknesses. Koscheck couldnt alter his game when it didnt work for him, Penn couldnt deal with the power and got pinned to the mat, Shields got jabbed to death when he couldnt take him down.
    I dont think GSP will want to go into a Clay-Guida style brawl with Diaz and I fear this might be another lay-and-pray victory for GSP. But if Diaz doesnt have anything to counter that.... he doesnt deserve to be champion imho.

GSP by lay-and-pray unless Diaz sneaks a sub from his back.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Xlami wrote: »
    I think Diaz is the first fighter to fight GSP and believe he can win. Best summary of this fight I heard was on MMA Live where Pat Militech said Diaz would take two to give one. The guy has a chin I don't see Georges testing and ridiculous cardio. No one can say it's not a tough fight for Georges. I expect him to mix it up on the feet as well as takedwons. Diaz is a brawler so if Georges can utilise the jab again and then use the takedowns whenever he's in trouble. I also feel Georges best performances have been against the better competitors.

agree with you there

i think this will be gsps toughest fight but i think he will win
    a decision
    saying that, i think the only way he'll beat diaz is by taking
    him down and i see that happening throughout the entire fight.
    I really can't see gsp standing too long with diaz
    Diaz cardios is ridiculous, no doubt about it and his chin won't
    be tested by gsp.
    If somehow gsp can't take diaz down then i reckon it'll be the
    toughest fight of his life

mailburner wrote: »
    Diaz cardios is ridiculous,

your right there, i think this is why its going to be a great match.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Hi Lads looking for some advise im going to be in Vegas on October 29th so going to try go to this one I know tickets wont be on sale until around mid august from what ive seen on previous events my question is do I stand much of a chance of getting the tickets on Ticketmaster when they are released to the general public ? Or would you expect them to sell out immediately or have already sold out to the pre released tickets to the UFC fan club thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

the pre-release is two days before the main release, so no tickets have been soldyet.
    Should be a large venue, so ticks won't be impossible to get if you are on the ball. Newletter pre-sale goes out the day before main release

• Advertisement
Advertisement