Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSP V Diaz UFC137

Options
  • 01-06-2011 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

U wanted it! U GOT IT!!! GSP vs DIAZ Oct 29th UFC 137 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Source: Dana White

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

danawhite
    U wanted it! U GOT IT!!! GSP vs DIAZ Oct 29th UFC 137 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.
    2 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

@danawhite Dana White

good work lads haha.

I'll wait for the merge before start commenting.

good work lads haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

:D

I hope to god that Diaz wont respect GSP as much and Shields and Koscheck did, and actually go after him a bit. Trying to counter punch with GSP is never going to work. Diaz might be the guy to put GSP under some pressure for the first time in ages. I hope...

• Advertisement

Huge advantage for Diaz in that Shields went before him. Should be an awesome fight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

3 threads already. This is a perfect foil to all the talk around here of 'ufc no longer making competitive matchups' this is in the top 5 of current fights that should be made.

weemcd wrote: »
    3 threads already. This is a perfect foil to all the talk around here of 'ufc no longer making competitive matchups' this is in the top 5 of current fights that should be made.

Yeah exactly. Both fighters in their prime imho, great match up while the division sorts out it's next contenders. BJ, Fitch, Story, Ellenberger, Macdonald, Condit/Kim and Johnson all need to face each other and we'll see who gets to face the champ next.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

So happy, cannot wait to see Georges prove once again he is the greatest WW of all time. Diaz will make for such an exciting fight. Gonna threaten Georges on his feet and off of his back. Hon DW, and Munchkin man Joe Silva. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Awww such a long time away and it's not Anderson Silva V GSP :mad:

Anyway to play the odd's game the majority of Diaz's losses have come from decisions and wins from KO sub.

Whats the odds on him doing either of those to GSP and GSP not getting a decision win :confused:

Much as I respect GSP I dislike him as much as I do diaz , that said if ever there was a person I could pick to get one over on GSP it would be Diaz :pac:

5 months out predicting a GSP decision win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Diaz showed a killer instinct in getting Daley out so quick, even Koschek didn't come close. GSP is a completely different animal to Daley however.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishdownhiller

really hope diaz gets this, but im not getting my hopes up too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

no real need to merge, all three have the same comments
    Nice to get the threads up instantly though guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Should be a great fight - is it GSPs toughest fight so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Never mind the fight, what does this mean for the future of Strikeforce?

Apparently Diaz has a new contract that allows him to fight in both organisations but his coach has said that the only way he'll be back in SF is if he loses in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I just came here to post news....... anyway hope this comes to fruition!! Diaz is the one guy at ww that will really bring it GSP, and in a 5 round fight Diaz should have enough time to work subs if GSP desides to wrestle this one out "a la alves, hardy"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Should be a great fight - is it GSPs toughest fight so far?

I am the only one who doesn't see what the deal is about Nick Diaz? He has a record full of wins against mediocre fighters. If he wasn't so brash and colourful he wouldn't get half the attention. I understand that will sell the fight sure, but GSP has had many tougher fights than this.

seadnamac wrote: »
    I am the only one who doesn't see what the deal is about Nick Diaz? He has a record full of wins against mediocre fighters. If he wasn't so brash and colourful he wouldn't get half the attention. I understand that will sell the fight sure, but GSP has had many tougher fights than this.

Have you watched him fight or just looked at his record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I think Diaz is a great fighter but he has lost to less effective wrestlers than GSP in the past, and I still don't think his wrestling has improved enough to be able to keep the fight standing. I know he is good off his back but I feel that GSP will have enough ability to punish Diaz from the top without giving up position or getting caught in a submission.

I can't see past a decision or cut-stoppage victory for GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

GSP via wet blanket

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I think Diaz is a great fighter but he has lost to less effective wrestlers than GSP in the past, and I still don't think his wrestling has improved enough to be able to keep the fight standing. I know he is good off his back but I feel that GSP will have enough ability to punish Diaz from the top without giving up position or getting caught in a submission.

I can't see past a decision or cut-stoppage victory for GSP.

I think its fair to say his jits and working from his back has got better from 5 years ago. Also its a five round fight not 3 like the previous ones, so he'll have lots more time to work subs from his back..... also has GSP faught in the gaurd of a renowed BJJ guy not named BJ penn? + I cant remember BJ subbing anyone from his back.

GSP can take him down at will if he wants cause Diaz's wrestling will never stuff a good take down artist.

Its a dangerous fight for GSP were ever it takes place, and I just cant see GSP finishing diaz either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I am the only one who doesn't see what the deal is about Nick Diaz?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

vangoz wrote: »
    Have you watched him fight or just looked at his record?

Both. Why? Don't tell me, you were about to dismiss me as some sort of a UFC fanboy? Has Diaz fought anywhere near the level of competition that GSP has fought? Or even the level of competition that some of GSP's recent opponents have fought?

I think some people are so desperate to see GSP lose, or even be involved in just a really close fight, they can get a bit carried away. Only a few months ago Jake Shields was supposed to be his biggest test yet...I don't see Diaz as being at the same level as the likes of Penn or Fitch or even Koscheck, so I don't see him posing that much of a threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I think its fair to say his jits and working from his back has got better from 5 years ago. Also its a five round fight not 3 like the previous ones, so he'll have lots more time to work subs from his back..... also has GSP faught in the gaurd of a renowed BJJ guy not named BJ penn? + I cant remember BJ subbing anyone from his back.

GSP can take him down at will if he wants cause Diaz's wrestling will never stuff a good take down artist.

Its a dangerous fight for GSP were ever it takes place, and I just cant see GSP finishing diaz either.

I just don't see GSP giving Diaz the sort of openings that will allow him to catch him with a sub off his back. He seems to have a very good ground game himself, mainly focusing on obtaining positions of dominance and looking for ways to work through strikes or subs that don't leave him open to giving up that dominant position. He's a very smart, high percentage fighter on the ground.

Obviously that's not to say Diaz couldn't catch him, I just don't think its the most likely outcome. Like I said, I'm expecting a points victory for GSP or Diaz being stopped due to a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Never mind the fight, what does this mean for the future of Strikeforce?

Apparently Diaz has a new contract that allows him to fight in both organisations but his coach has said that the only way he'll be back in SF is if he loses in the UFC.

Meh, I wouldn't have a lot of faith in his coaches opinion, i took that as "he's going tio win, he'll stay in the UFC with the belt"

Dana and co. will keep him where he makes the msot money.

My prediction, he loses and returns to SF, with the belt intact as I can't see GSP holding both, or will he?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

GSP to win by decision in 5 rounds is usually like buying money. I know for a fact I'll be reinvesting some of my previous winnings on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

golfman wrote: »
    GSP to win by decision in 5 rounds is usually like buying money. I know for a fact I'll be reinvesting some of my previous winnings on that!

Im a massive Diaz fan and think this is a very dangerous fight for GSP but how much pressure will he be put under the finish this fight ? He's just stopped 1 of his last 5 fights and if it's another snooze fest how much pressure will he be under then ?

I really like GSP too but his last few fights espically Shields were horrible to watch and i think this plays into Diaz's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    Im a massive Diaz fan and think this is a very dangerous fight for GSP but how much pressure will he be put under the finish this fight ? He's just stopped 1 of his last 5 fights and if it's another snooze fest how much pressure will he be under then ?

I really like GSP too but his last few fights espically Shields were horrible to watch and i think this plays into Diaz's hands.

You make a very good point but I don't think that bothers him. He hasn't properly finished a fight in 3 years and he's been under pressure to finish a fight for a while. I don't think he cares that much about his popularity - he just gets the job done in a clever manner and consequently has turned into a boring fighter to watch. Luckily we don't have to PPV!

Both. Why? Don't tell me, you were about to dismiss me as some sort of a UFC fanboy? Has Diaz fought anywhere near the level of competition that GSP has fought? Or even the level of competition that some of GSP's recent opponents have fought?

I think some people are so desperate to see GSP lose, or even be involved in just a really close fight, they can get a bit carried away. Only a few months ago Jake Shields was supposed to be his biggest test yet...I don't see Diaz as being at the same level as the likes of Penn or Fitch or even Koscheck, so I don't see him posing that much of a threat.

UFC fanboy:confused:, fanboy isnt in my vocabulary - never used the term.
    The only threat shields posed was on the ground and everyone knew he hadnt a chance of getting it there. All of GSP's recent oppnents were very 1 dimensional and timid, Diaz poses problems from his back and on the feet, has great chin and really good cardio + he looks to finish fights and has done in his last two outings.
    I wouldnt be desperate to see GSP lose, he's a great fighter, I just want to see him in a challenging fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

UFC fanboy:confused:, fanboy isnt in my vocabulary - never used the term.
    The only threat shields posed was on the ground and everyone knew he hadnt a chance of getting it there. All of GSP's recent oppnents were very 1 dimensional and timid, Diaz poses problems from his back and on the feet, has great chin and really good cardio + he looks to finish fights and has done in his last two outings.
    I wouldnt be desperate to see GSP lose, he's a great fighter, I just want to see him in a challenging fight.

I agree, GSP has no confidence in his chin since the Serra fight and will want to take Diaz down quick. The UFC built the Shields fight for PPV sales only. This is the biggest fight he has ever fought as Diaz can KO him and stay with him on the ground. Diaz need to come out flying and go for the KO or put GSP on his back !!

Advertisement