Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag2r: Roche vs Gadret

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Roche and Gadret selected for the AG2R TDF Team.....

http://twitter.com/#!/irishcycling

Interesting to see how this pans out!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

furiousox wrote: »
    Read all about it in September! :)

9781848271104.jpg

I hope it's not just a collection of his articles from the Irish Independent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

On principle I wouldn't buy abook of any sports person until they retire. Don't believe it can be a proper account as they will have to work with the same people so are not going to give a true opinion. Articles are good but a book......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

shaungil wrote: »
    On principle I wouldn't buy abook of any sports person until they retire. Don't believe it can be a proper account as they will have to work with the same people so are not going to give a true opinion. Articles are good but a book......

On principal I wouldn't buy abook of any sports person until they have actually won something of note. . . .Placing in the top 20 aint bad nut a win :rolleyes:

hhhmmm a bit harsh on poor Nicholas. I read Paul Kimmages book and he won nothing of note I believe. Insert can full of worms icon here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

This Marmolada Massacre seems fierce interesting, is there any more information on it?? I get the general gist of what happened, but it just seems like a fantastic story..

Just found this tonight. If you want the dirt, this is it! Absolutely cracking read! :D

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2011/6/6/2209374/Stephen-Roche

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

happytramp wrote: »
    Just found this tonight. If you want the dirt, this is it! Absolutely cracking read! :D

That was tremendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Yeah, a great read over the last hour...............quite a few things on my to-do list for the night left undone now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Great read, though where did my evening go!?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

nothing like a good soap opera on a monday night... great article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

cheers Happytramp, thats a great read, very interesting.. They could make a good film out of that race..

great read

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Phil2me

Fabulous read.....I should remember more about it but I don't....

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Great Read. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheFredJ

If you liked that check out the following:

Villach 87
    Tales from Lombardia
    Paris-Nice - The Irish Years
    Kelly's Spring Campaign
    The Stolen Vuelta

You'll generally find my crap on the Cafe Bookshelf. Mostly it's just book reviews, though the reviews often have stories in them (eg this week's Badger stuff) sometimes it's a bit more ... dope related. eg The Delgado Affaire. If anyone wants to suggest topics - twitterfy me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Does 18th in the French RR championship trump 4th in Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

el tel wrote: »
    From the form Nic showed at the nationals I fear that Gadret will be the leader after the first few mountain stages.
    Hope I wrong though.

RobFowl wrote: »
    From the form Nic showed at the nationals I fear that Gadret will be the leader after the first few mountain stages.
    Hope I wrong though.

Had an unlucky year re injuries and crashes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ROK ON wrote: »
    Had an unlucky year re injuries and crashes.

Awful. every time he shows a bit of form bang and back to scratch.

The first few stages are not too hard do maybe he'll ride himself into form.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

el tel wrote: »

Not really comparable.

Roche is the undisputed leader, but I reckon Gadret will finish highest. Roche has missed a lot of prep.

I think we'll see 2 possible scenarios: Roche starts strongly and dies gradually as the race progresses, or starts poorly and gets stronger as the race progresses. Hope I'm wrong on both counts.

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Awful. every time he shows a bit of form bang and back to scratch.

The first few stages are not too hard do maybe he'll ride himself into form.
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Not really comparable.

Roche is the undisputed leader, but I reckon Gadret will finish highest. Roche has missed a lot of prep.

I think we'll see 2 possible scenarios: Roche starts strongly and dies gradually as the race progresses, or starts poorly and gets stronger as the race progresses. Hope I'm wrong on both counts.

IMHO he should take it easy in week 1 and ride into it. He could hope for getting into a break but reality is that the guys like Gilbert, Evans, Vino, Vockler, Chavanel will be bursting a gut in the non flat week1 stages. Of thise Gilbert, Evans and Vockler are in a rich vein of form at present. It would take a very strong Roche to even stay with them let alone beat them.
    Given poor form for one reason or another (and given a complete inability to TT) I think he should completely sacrifce any ambitions for a placing.
    IMHO a 4oth place finish and a stage win (plus maybe a couple of placings) would be a fantatsic tour and something to be prooud of. Victory rather than consistency.
    Pick a few stages and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

TheFredJ wrote: »
    If you liked that check out the following:

Villach 87
    Tales from Lombardia
    Paris-Nice - The Irish Years
    Kelly's Spring Campaign
    The Stolen Vuelta

You'll generally find my crap on the Cafe Bookshelf. Mostly it's just book reviews, though the reviews often have stories in them (eg this week's Badger stuff) sometimes it's a bit more ... dope related. eg The Delgado Affaire. If anyone wants to suggest topics - twitterfy me

Cheers for that! I've run out of books to read on holiday and been keeping myself busy with your articles. Well done, they make for very entertaining reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

gadretfan2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I'm really enjoying reading thru some of the stuff linked in post the post above by Fred.

In addition, Podiumcafe has a whole lot of other interesting stuff. The review of Willy Voet (he of the drug filled car on the '98 TdF which began here in Ireland) caught my eye.
    Here's the link, and some snippets:
    "P was a cheap anabolic, a powerful hormone normally used to develop muscle mass but, banned from the French market, hard to get hold of. Festina imported it from Spain. To assess P's effects precisely, Voet used a guinea-pig - himself: "Before the Dauphiné Libéré in 1996, I took ten pills over seven days, then urinated conscientiously into a jar from days five to eight after taking the final pill. The whole works was then sent to a laboratory in Ghent. The [drug] had been eliminated from my system by day eight. For a cyclist, who will get rid of chemicals far more quickly than someone sedentary like me, the period was still shorter."

So now he knew how long P could be tested for. But what of its effects? They, Voet discovered firsthand, were felt almost immediately: "Three hours after I took the first pill, I began shivering. I had the impression my lungs were swelling, that I had a new battery somewhere in the system. I felt confident, full of energy, strong as a bull - on hormones. The effects lasted more than a month, effects which we used with good results in the big Tours after that."

Voet's riders were administered this new drug: "It was for this reason that in 1996 some French and Swiss riders did not compete in their national championships. Right then, they were in the middle of their [P] courses, and the only disastrous effects would have been those felt at the drug tests during the championships. The official reason given was a virus circulating in the team, which, according to the press, was giving us a lot of concern coming up to the Tour de France. In actual fact, the whole team was at a training camp in the Pyrenees."

The drug? Clenbuterol."

.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

ROK ON wrote: »
    IMHO he should take it easy in week 1 and ride into it. He could hope for getting into a break but reality is that the guys like Gilbert, Evans, Vino, Vockler, Chavanel will be bursting a gut in the non flat week1 stages. Of thise Gilbert, Evans and Vockler are in a rich vein of form at present. It would take a very strong Roche to even stay with them let alone beat them.

Excellent stuff, sir. Nice of the riders to oblige by following your predictions closely.

Advertisement