Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structure on Mars ?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

I checked this out on Google Earth/Mars and sure enough it's there. It certainly doesn't look like a natural structure to me. What ye reckon ?
    This could be the most important discovery on Mars yet! This structure is 700' x 150', and is colored white with blue and red stripes against the red Martian soil. This is not a rock or mountain. It is a manufactured structure. This is not something that I created, this is something that is currently on Google Mars. NASA wont talk to me about it. I've sent them a few emails, and no reply. Go see for yourself. The coordinates are: 71 49'19.73"N 29 33'06.53"W Discovered by David Martines 2011.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"I call it biostation alpha"
    rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Pareidolia is an amazing phenomenon sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Just how much time did this guy spend on google maps trying to find this thing, I mean were talking about a whole planet here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Congratulations! Maybe they'll name if after you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

"I call it biostation alpha"
    rofl
    studiorat wrote: »
    Congratulations! Maybe they'll name if after you. ;)

Umm. Forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

"It appears to be fairly well maintained"

I don't think I'm quite seeing what he's seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, two things that came to my mind:

1) Google Earth lets you look at Mars now? That's so f*cking cool!

2) Various military bases on Earth have been blocked out on Google Earth. Some have been replaced with black squares while others have copied sat photos of other areas over them. The reason I say this is because each and every one of those satelite images would have been thoroughly examined by the likes of NASA and ESA etc, so they would have no doubt noticed this, wouldn't they.

This begs the question:

a) If they didn't notice this, then how? It's their job.
    b) If they noticed it, why would they neither make a big announcement, nor try and cover it up?
    c) If they already knew about it, why didn't they do either of the things in b)?

Personally, I'd say it's either some sort of glitch, or more likely, a satelite in lower orbit. I'll give it a gander when I get home later.

humanji wrote: »

2) Various military bases on Earth have been blocked out on Google Earth. Some have been replaced with black squares while others have copied sat photos of other areas over them. The reason I say this is because each and every one of those satelite images would have been thoroughly examined by the likes of NASA and ESA etc, so they would have no doubt noticed this, wouldn't they.

This begs the question:

b) If they noticed it, why would they neither make a big announcement, nor try and cover it up?
    c) If they already knew about it, why didn't they do either of the things in b)?

Personally, I'd say it's either some sort of glitch, or more likely, a satelite in lower orbit. I'll give it a gander when I get home later.

Yeah you can view Stars, Moon, Mars & Earth now.
    I would tend to agree with the Satellite in lower orbit option, but would it stay in the same co-ordinates for days or week or more at a time ? Perhaps it would.
    I dont have any answers to your questions :D

This begs the question:

There are currently four satellites in orbit around Mars; Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Mars Global Surveyor, Mars Express and Mars Odyssey - if it were to be another satellite then my money would be on either
    1] Mars Express which is run by the ESA and therefore may have a flightpath that would overlap with one of the two remaining operational NASA satellites
    or
    2] Mars Global Surveyor which NASA lost contact with a few years back.

But honestly, it's probably just an artifact of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

This could be the most important discovery on Mars yet! This structure is 700' x 150', and is colored white with blue and red stripes against the red Martian soil. This is not a rock or mountain. It is a manufactured structure. This is not something that I created, this is something that is currently on Google Mars. NASA wont talk to me about it. I've sent them a few emails, and no reply. Go see for yourself. The coordinates are: 71 49'19.73"N 29 33'06.53"W Discovered by David Martines 2011.

I don't mean to freak anyone out, but 'David Martines' is an anagram of 'V (Roman numeral '5') Sided Martian'. What can it mean?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I don't mean to freak anyone out, but 'David Martines' is an anagram of 'V (Roman numeral '5') Sided Martian'. What can it mean?

Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

The reason I say this is because each and every one of those satelite images would have been thoroughly examined by the likes of NASA and ESA etc, so they would have no doubt noticed this, wouldn't they.

This begs the question:

Gary McKinnon did hack them from a dial-up computer in England, some of their computers weren't password protected and some were where the password was 'password', maybe they're all not as bright and competent as you think :D

conti wrote: »
    Gary McKinnon did hack them from a dial-up computer in England, some of their computers weren't password protected and some were where the password was 'password', maybe they're all not as bright and competent as you think :D
    They are certainly not, same as any organisation - which is one of the reasons why most 'amazing cunning'/'sheer stupidity' conspiracies usually fall on one side of the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Round part at top looks like a parachute to me which might explain the colours and it probably came from earth if it is a parachute.

Could be an old Nasa mission or a satellite in space or anything like that.

Most likely not a structure on Mars. We would expect one to be there for how long? Would expect some environmental damage I imagine unless we are claiming we have secretly landed on Mars and are building structures which would be awesome :P

So.. Any update there chief ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Any chance they were one of the three Mars rovers' landing sites? I also doubt that, on a planet of red, a primitive life form found white building materials.

EDIT: Forgot about "Landers"; The satellites designed to land on Mars. Could be one of them, too. Maybe even a crashed satellite. Landers, Rovers and Satellites together mean that there are 16 objects currently on Mars, from earth.

I dunno mate. It's said to be 700ft by 150ft, I'm not sure if satelites are that size, perhaps they are. I took the screenshot provided; but didnt measure it myself. I'm guessing the measurements are correct.
    I think artifact or satelite is the best guess/s so far.
    It doesn't look like natural rock formation. If it was a satelite would it remain at the same coordinates, still today :confused:

Talk E wrote: »
    I dunno mate. It's said to be 700ft by 150ft, I'm not sure if satelites are that size, perhaps they are. I took the screenshot provided; but didnt measure it myself. I'm guessing the measurements are correct.

Just checked them myself, they seem about right.
    If it was a satelite would it remain at the same coordinates, still today :confused:
    Yeah, that's probably true. The fact that area is devoid of landing sites and bookmarks probably indicates that it's not a crashed satellite. As stated before, it could possibly be another satellite in lower orbit.
    I think artifact or satelite is the best guess/s so far.
    It doesn't look like natural rock formation.

Could it possibly be ice? There are ice deposits not much further North. It doesn't really help that it's such a patchwork quilt of images around the caps, either, so it may well be image deformation.

If it was a satelite would it remain at the same coordinates, still today :confused:

I am fairly certain that the maps of mars, much like the maps available on Google maps do not update in real-time. The "object" wouldn't have to remain in the same place all time, it'd just have to appear once when the image was being taken.
    Providing it's an object at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭David Matthew

He may be a pareidolic 5-sided Martian, but he certainly has perfected the art of suspence! The way the video zoomed in, coupled with his confidently-tentative explanations, I was hooked, expecting to see something to blow my mind! :eek:

I am a sucker... :o

• Advertisement

Similar thread now on ATS with new images, page 2 and 5 for those interested.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread711623/pg1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Here's another one on the moon

1c8992f4d809.jpg

Co-ordinates 19 58 48.31 N 21 11 35.57 E. Are the aliens coming or are NASA a bit more advanced than we led to believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

seanmacc wrote: »
    Here's another one on the moon

Co-ordinates 19 58 48.31 N 21 11 35.57 E. Are the aliens coming or are NASA a bit more advanced than we led to believe?

or is it just Google use **** quality pictures that are so pixelated

Edited the original in PS. Just contrast, brightness, curves etc

flkdxy.png

28infux.png

kaqk4z.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Intersting topic.
    I doubt its anything groundbreaking.If it was maybe ice?
    The red stripes probably come from it being too pixilated and the mars red soil looks to have been processed as part of the white bit.

Also if NASA did make a mistake and someone let that one slip (unlikely), would they change it after being published or just ignore the issue like its nothing?
    Haha, always leave room for conspiracy.

ps. I think its a smart red bull advertisement!
    Its only a matter of time before we we run out of advertising space here :P

Mars structure mentioned on MSN

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8257609/mysterious-structure-discovered-on-mars
    An American 'armchair astronomer' claims he has discovered a strange structure on the surface of Mars while browsing Google.
    David Martines was scanning Google Mars when he discovered the long white edifice and has even listed the coordinates (49'19.73"N 29 33'06.53"W) so others can see it for themselves.
    Mr Martines posted a video of the 'station' on YouTube which has been viewed more than 200,000 times.
    On the video, he talks through the discovery he has named "Bio-Station Alpha". "It's very unusual in that it's quite large, it's over 700 feet (210m) long and 150 feet (45m) wide. It looks like it's a cylinder or made up of cylinders," he says.
    "It could be a power station or it could be a biological containment or it could be a glorified garage — hope it's not a weapon.
    "I don't know if NASA even knows about this."
    NASA and Google have yet to respond to media inquiries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Yeah you can view Stars, Moon, Mars & Earth now.
    I would tend to agree with the Satellite in lower orbit option, but would it stay in the same co-ordinates for days or week or more at a time ? Perhaps it would.
    I dont have any answers to your questions :D

How can you look at the moon via Google Earth? There are no satellites orbiting that thing and certainly none obriting Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

How can you look at the moon via Google Earth? There are no satellites orbiting that thing and certainly none obriting Mars.

What about LRO, Chang'e 2, Mars Odyssey, Mars Express, Opportunity Rover, MRO?

It would be nice if Google came out and explained where they got their image data from, but I guess they are doing a cracking job of publicising the existence of this new service by saying nothing.

• Advertisement

It would be nice if Google came out and explained where they got their image data from, but I guess they are doing a cracking job of publicising the existence of this new service by saying nothing.

Well, the demand for it isn't exactly huge, they can't exactly whip out a multimillion advertising campaign for it. I'm sure it was mentioned on a few of their many blogs.

Advertisement