Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamuid Gavin's flower show entry cost Irish taxpayer €2.5m - report

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

My friend lives in Cork.She says that the condition of the main roads in the city has to be seen to be believed in the last year.Massive potholes on all the roads in the city centre.Nice to see that the Corpo have their priorities in order.Sometimes we really do appear to be a banana republic.It really seems that connected people in Ireland can literally do whatever they want-nothing is too ludicrous and they will somehow always manage to get massively overpaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    heres the end of the late late interview.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhLAS2Xzd1Q

I didnt notice that was Stephen Nugent when I watched this live.. I have to say that I know this guy... I did work for him about six years ago.. And he's a REALLY decent guy.

At the end of this Tubridy says that people keep asking him for a "good news" story.. I dont see how wasting 2.5 million on this is good news.. It just shows that nothing has changed.. If you know the right people, in the right places, you will be able to pull money from the state coffers with little accountability.. I also think it was cowardly of Tubridy to merely question Gavin about the source of the funding but NOT the amount... Like I said before, how many of the competing projects had a similarly limitless budget??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The county councils have been very slow to plant trees – simply not on their agendas. Most trees we have were planted in the Victorian times and are nearing their end, and those that have died to a large extent have not been replaced. There have been a few feeble attempts to plant a few trees but without any proper support or importantly the required aftercare so many of these perish.

It is such a shame that the money used for this ridicules ego booster for Mr Gavin could not have been used to green up our very baron treeless towns and cities with trees for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

It is such a shame that the money used for this ridicules ego booster for Mr Gavin could not have been used to green up our very baron treeless towns and cities with trees for the future.[/QUOTE]

They may as well paint it and put it in the park for skateboarders.
    This is an example of the daft ideas and plans put forward and accepted by the government.Who can remember the gem that was the Jeannie Johnson famine ship earmarked to cost 4 million and eventually went to a crippling 13 million. Who was the project manager ffs?
    Galvin needed his wings clipped. He was rhe golden boy who's ego was matched with his vanity.Hair brained impractical exhibit.How in sweet Jesus was the council going to keep young heads from climbing ip the structure amd breaking their necks in the process.
    2,500,000 euros!! When you write it in numerical form the immoral waste of money really hits home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Just re-read D. Gavin's stomach churning name dropping.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/diarmuid-gavin-gardening-column/2011/05/28/diarmuid-gavin-s-dreams-come-true-in-magic-garden-115875-23161789/
    And, of course, some celebrity garden lovers dropped by. Dame Helen ­Mirren ­arrived and asked would I take her to the stars. Strapped in, she ­lifted off and floated skyward.

Who did I see but Sir John ­Major waving and soon he and ­Lady Norma, slightly worried about her new hairdo, had joined me floating.

Bill Bailey was highly amused and Will Young brought his mum to see all the fun.­Christopher Biggins ­giggled as the Thames came into view, and the Duke of ­Edinburgh gave the ­Wonkavator a ­wonderful seal of approval.

The president and the ­chairwoman of the RHS took a ride when the judges hadn’t and they told me that the judges would never know what they had missed.

And Mrs Titchmarsh made the voyage ahead of her husband ­before the BBC’s health and safety gurus ­declared my flying ­garden safe for take-off.

It seemed everybody loved our little piece of ­Ireland. Old friends like Alan ­Titchmarsh ­offered hugs. “I think you have cracked it this year,” he said.

Laurence ­Llewelyn-Bowen and his wife ­Jackie, regulars at Chelsea, and Sir ­Terence and Lady ­Conran, all took a stroll down the ­ribbon pathway and gazed as the pink ­pavilion flew ­towards the sun.

And to top it all, being lined up to be received by the Queen with mum and our team chatting to her about her visit to Ireland.

Ugh..

• Advertisement
Advertisement