Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamuid Gavin's flower show entry cost Irish taxpayer €2.5m - report

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is that you Diarmuid?:confused:

(said with a nasal twang) You've uncovered me ejmaz ... I'll give you gardens if I get a hold of you :D

Seriously though, I fully agree it was a mad idea to fund it, and I don't like his work, but you can't blame the bloke for wanting his money if he agreed a price and did the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Well personally, it's not the fact that DG spent so much money on the garden that irks me.. it's the fact that a few gombeen councillors agreed to fund his project in the first place. And Failte Ireland yet again showing that they haven't got a damn clue.. comparing that yoke hanging from a crane to the Eiffel Tower like.. wtf!

A few years ago the government refused to spend 10 million on the cervical cancer vaccine for girls.. times were better then than they are now and yet they still agree to pay for this fcuking flight of fancy. Yeah.. I think people are entitled to feel slightly peeved.

Absolutely my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kilkennym

Well personally, it's not the fact that DG spent so much money on the garden that irks me.. it's the fact that a few gombeen councillors agreed to fund his project in the first place. And Failte Ireland yet again showing that they haven't got a damn clue.. comparing that yoke hanging from a crane to the Eiffel Tower like.. wtf!

A few years ago the government refused to spend 10 million on the cervical cancer vaccine for girls.. times were better then than they are now and yet they still agree to pay for this fcuking flight of fancy. Yeah.. I think people are entitled to feel slightly peeved.

round of applause!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sickening piece of name dropping the super star gardener wrote of his 'Irish' sky garden below.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/diarmuid-gavin-gardening-column/2011/05/28/diarmuid-gavin-s-dreams-come-true-in-magic-garden-115875-23161789/

I'd say that thing will barely pay the wages of the crane driver when it does come back and will end up on a concrete plinth in a matter of months. I hope it doesn't but whatever.

Imagine falite Ireland comparing that thing to the Eiffel tower? WTF!?

No mention of Punch & Judy, and as for the Cork Councillors, well, they should get out more..no wait, lock them up.:o

The day rate for an 80T crane is approx € 700.00 +VAT, I'm sure you'd get a much better deal for 1,000 days. Most cranes are motballing.

Unbelieveable crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Jesus, nice garden and everything but what a waste of money considering the state of the country :eek:
    Absolutely nuts!!

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/diamuid-galvins-flower-show-entry-cost-irish-taxpayer-e2-5m-report-145507-May2011/

that is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wonder if the Councillors in question or Diarmuid himself are watching Prime Time on RTE 1 right now.. where people are having treatments for serious diseases postponed because of a lack of funds.

How either party can morally justify paying/accepting money for that garden is beyond me. It actually makes me feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Bollocks.

'The Eiffel Tower'
    'The London Eye'
    'The Cork Bollocks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Sweet Devine!!

Who is on for doing some sort of a petition on this and rattling some email inboxes and doors in Kildare street.

2.5 million for a garden.....10k for a garden!!!

2.5 million could be put to so many good uses around the country. While there is one person lying on a trolley or one bed closure in an old person's home or 1 viable business employing people which can't get credit money cannot be spent on the total crap that is Gavin's ego and this waste of space.

Can we start an online petition of complaint and forward it to bord failte,cork council,dept of finance taoiseachs office?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Why don't people down tools and go out and protest about the waste of money, mass protest on the Dáil is what's needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I've nothing against D G and his gardens.

I've nothing against the Queen coming to Ireland.

The Issue for me is the massive amount of tax payers money being shovelled out to facilitate both with this promise of extra tourists and a boost to the economy.

I have serious doubts about this. I want to see cold hard figures to back up this folly.

Does anybody know where the queens last visit was to (before Ireland) ? Has this place recieved a boost in tourism ?

Or how about who won the chelsea flower show last year ? Where is this garden ? Has this location been inundated with gardeners falling over themselves and their rakes trying to get to see this garden ?

I'm sick to death of this bullsh*t excuse been trooped out everytime they blow some tax payers money and wave this it'll boost tourism line to cover over their madness.

The only thing this bullsh*t is useful for will be to fertilise Gavins Garden and line his pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

yeah he dropped some big names in that article alright.. it's funny when I think of Gavin over there in Chelsea with all the British aristocracy, I dont think of them as looking on him as one of their peers.. I think they see him more as this gardener..

diarmaid gavin thinks of himself as part of irelands aristocracy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I wonder if the Councillors in question or Diarmuid himself are watching Prime Time on RTE 1 right now.. where people are having treatments for serious diseases postponed because of a lack of funds.

How either party can morally justify paying/accepting money for that garden is beyond me. It actually makes me feel sick.
    I said the very same watching that .,For Christ sake somebody call a halt to this madness .These people are far far far more important than a lump of steel and a fern .Jesus .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

LighterGuy wrote: »
    that is madness.

Madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

just watched prime time investagets GOD why couldent some of those poor carers got that money instead of some rich git wantiong to show off his artistic side you dont buy a new telly if your kids are going hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

And there was me thinking the country was broke, what a joke :mad:

People on trolleys and floors in A&E's, health system is in a right mess, wage cuts, people losing jobs and struggling to make ends meet, families losing their homes, etc... and yet Gavin costs the taxpayer €2.5 million for a hanging piece of crap, nice to know this country has it's priorities in check :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Is it taxpayers money or money we borrow??? make up your mind before you start your bitching
    a bit of both really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

There's a mastercard joke in here somewhere. Absolute madness, o.k entering the competition and perhaps contributing partial funding would be reasonable, €2.5m, that's pie in the sky!

I'm astounded that a budget wasn't agreed upon before the project started, at least that's what I interpreted from article. Regardless if the budget was authorised for a gardening competition board failte should be shot and their budget slashed and reassigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Read the article it was ok'ed by two FG ministers!!
    They could have put a stop to it and didnt.
    Kinda hard to blame FF for this (for a change)

Sceptical as I am of all politicians the two FG'ers were only asked to intervene with the County Council concerned, it was they who were blanking Gavin, at that point a considerable investment had already been made and no doubt there were contractural agreements in place that would have had to be bought out. More than likely Gavin lobbied the Dept for Fun during the Celtic Pussy for this funding and it was most likely ok'd by the Soldiers of Destiny.

Tbf, such excercises very often do have an economic return in attracting enthusiasts to visit Ireland however I would not have thought of gardening as being an area that would lend itself to this grounded as it is;) Think this was more in the way of top notch advertising for good old Diarmuid :D

Oooh and jsut in case I forget :rolleyes:

Diarmuid Gavin (born 10 May 1964) is an Irish garden designer and television personality. He is married to Justine Keane, daughter of The Hon. Ronan Keane, the former Chief Justice of Ireland, and Terry Keane, and they have a daughter named Eppie born December 2004

Go figure!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i bet they will credit that with the swell in tourism, when in fact it will be down to the queen visiting and obama,

and anyway cork has one of the finest places in this country, no place like it, and nothing will surpass it, it is foto island , that is what i call beautiful, wholesome and natural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Sceptical as I am of all politicians the two FG'ers were only asked to intervene with the County Council concerned, it was they who were blanking Gavin, at that point a considerable investment had already been made and no doubt there were contractural agreements in place that would have had to be bought out. More than likely Gavin lobbied the Dept for Fun during the Celtic Pussy for this funding and it was most likely ok'd by the Soldiers of Destiny.

Read my subsequent post to the one you just quoted :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The only way they'll get tourists to visit the hanging gardens of Cork, is if they make it swing backwards and forwards like a funfair ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Chiggers

fedor.2. wrote: »
    What an awful lot of moaning for one thread. miserable bunch aint ye.

Spot on. gettop thot gurden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I can't even imagine how much its gonna cost to maintain every year too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

So gimmicky. I know, let's hang the garden from a crane.
    Winnar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

And the thing is Irish people will go to see it and think 'wow isn't he a great fella for doin all this for us' not realsing that it was done too them with their own money - fawning, celeb worshipping fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can't even imagine how much its gonna cost to maintain every year too

It's literally high maintenance.

what will the cost to ship this across, between dismantling shipping and reasembling it, how much more is it going to cost, another half a million to a million or was all this in the two and a half million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Read my subsequent post to the one you just quoted :cool:

Sorry :eek: Sometimes it takes ages before interim posts appear on my screen! Didn't mean to restate information already in previous posts...kudos....stinks to high heaven though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

If only my neighbour's Nubian goat didn't suffer from vertigo AND claustrophobia, I'd send her over straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

heres the end of the late late interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhLAS2Xzd1Q

fair play to failte ireland for sorting poor diarmuid out with a few bob.

Advertisement