Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sugarman20

I'm in the same position. Not sure what to do but will probably give it another week or two. I think the note does say not to contact him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

For ball shaving, i was recommended to use hair conditioner instead of shaving foam beforehand. It worked a charm. No irritation whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I should probably post this in the 'controversial opinion' thread, but if men can get a vasectomy and women can have their tubes tied, are the men that get vasectomies really just people who have hit the ultimate lowpoint in being 'under the cosh' in a relationship? I'd reply, 'No thanks, if neither of us fancy having surgery on our reprodructive organs, let's do condoms'. I'd prefer sexual abstinence over a a surgery on my genitalia that wasn't aimed at saving my life. Next step, neon pink chastity cage. (Now, I shall run for cover)

I should probably post this in the 'controversial opinion' thread,

Well you got the first part right at least. I got a vasectomy because we are not having children and the contraception my wife is on impacts her hormones and her periods. It was a no-brainer for us and has nothing to do with hitting a low point or "under the cosh".

A vasectomy is much easier, safer and cheaper than a tubectomy.

I'd prefer sexual abstinence over a a surgery on my genitalia that wasn't aimed at saving my life.

And what a loss to the female population that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Cant find that note he gave me but if I wont hear anything next week I will send him email myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The note says "The lab will post the results to me, and I will be in touch with you once I have them. It normally takes 2-3 weeks for me to get the results and then inform you. Please do not contact me looking for results before then, it's not practical to respond to all requests. If you do not hear from me by 3 weeks, please email me or call the landline number. Do not contact the lab directly, they cannot give the results to you by phone"

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Trondheim

Vasectomy is a minor procedure. Having tubes tied is a much more invasive procedure, so if both people are equal in the relationship, then it makes sense to have the minor procedure (vasectomy) rather than major procedure (tubal ligation). Thinking of relationships as one or other being dominant and the other person being 'under the cosh' seems rather old fashioned. Ideally both people should be equal with lots of give and take. This is an easy 'give' for the man.

Absolutely fine to do condoms as an alternative. Some of us prefer to go skin-to-skin and have made a decision to get the vasectomy in order to allow that. Different preferences - no right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Just got letter this morning from dr.McCormic together with microbiology report.

Letter is dated 7/07 so 3 weeks after semen was checked in Rotunda.

ALL GOOD AND CLEAR!

Going on holidays on friday cant wait 😂

Just got mine today too! He must have being doing a bulk load :) I'll leave now......

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭boccers

Hey guys just wondering if many here have had it done by someone other that John McCormack. I'm based in the south east and would have a few hours drive to any of his clinics but he's the only name I'm seeing here. I would have no problem driving to Dublin for it but I presume driving afterwards is out of question and it might be difficult for me to get a lift back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭jj880

5 years since I had mine. Best thing I ever did. Have friends getting drunk then contraception goes out the window. Caught with their unplanned 4th, 5th, 6th child in their late 30s / 40s. God help them. Its driving them to more drink, arguments and stress. Having that many kids isnt for everyone. Especially with things in this country going the way theyre going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I spoke to my GP who referred me to Whitfield in Waterford last year. I was seen by Paul Hegarty and everything went smoothly. Semen analysis was carried out by Waterstone, which was an additional cost. I was allowed to drive home afterwards, but I live about 15 mins away.

A friend of mine went to the Keogh Practice in Waterford. They do the semen analysis in house and is included in the cost. His vasectomy cost nearly half of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bedouin79

Vivian Foley carrigaline in cork. Train down bus cork carrigaline. 2 weeks since mine and couldn’t recommend the guy more.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭deeks

Im in the South East as well. Got it done by John McCormack in Cork. No issues driving myself home about 30 mins after the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I got mine done by Emmet Byrne (Former Rugby International) in Bray (recommended by a friend who got it done)

No consultation, just get a date booked and turn up, in and out in 30 mins. Procedure went well, I was crapping myself but he is a nice guy and chit chat throughout the procedure really helped, before I knew it was over. small pain for about 3-5 days, nothing major at all.

Samples to be sent in September

I did develop small pea sized lumps (still there) I have called Emmet on this and he assured its fine, he even gave me his personal number if I had any other queries and offered me to go back in if I wanted to put my mind at ease.

Driving afterwards is fine. He recommends taking about half an hour to get a coffee or something like that, and after that you can drive no problem. I had a 1.5 hour drive after mine with no ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Got mine done end of March, and got the all clear from the lab last week. Thanks to above poster for all the advice. A day or 3 of minor pain and the jockstraps recommended helped the situation along with the usual over the counter painkillers, had the codeine but didn't need it.

I did drive after, journey usually takes about 30 mins, it wasnt the most comfortable if I'm honest and Pearse street was bumper to bumper to boot so I just said f*ck it and chanced the bus lane with the hope if I got pulled over I could lean on the vasectomy...it all worked out anyway!

Got my all clear a couple of weeks ago.

Delighted!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Booked in with Dr.Mcormac in a few weeks and i have to say i'm absolutely bricking it.

Should i be?

Got it done a month or so ago with him. Very surprised at how routine it was and I wouldn't be worried at all if I were you. I parked around the corner in Q Park and had Nurofen and paracetamol ready to go when I got back to the car. Drove home about 30 mins later and although it was tender for a few days it wasn't bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭jj880

I didnt drive home after mine. Pretty sure I had lots of cushions in the car. What are peoples thoughts on ring cushions for driving?

Id be afraid of doing any damage that might prolong recovery or cause infection. Very sensitive equipment we're talking about here 😆.

I drove home after mine (~1-1.5 hrs). It was fine.

No need to worry. He is excellent. Just follow the advice here and you will be fine.

Be careful in the days after the op. Dr. McCormack talked about not letting pain pathways get established, so if you can get through the first week or so, you will be grand.

I coach a pretty active martial art.

how long do you think it could be before i'm back training full time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Are those lumps not metallic clamps or something similiar they put over the pipes?

I'd ask the doctor on that. They recommend no sport for 1 week, but a contact sport like you are talking about might be higher risk and require a longer lay-off. Best to discuss directly with the doctor.

I'd say at least a week if not more. You would want to wear as tight underwear as you can get for that week or so too.

I was back running 10 days after mine. Not sure I'd want to taking kicks to the jewels though

Once i can go back coaching pretty quickly, that's not too bad.

I'll obviously have to avoid full contact for a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I was recommended a week before returning to activity. 2-3 weeks for full contact. (My sport of choice is dodgeball, so a higher risk of getting a ball at high speed to the groin)

Advertisement