Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Quick question for ye,how long does it take to get results back from your sample,I posted it about 2 weeks and have heard nothing since,just wondering how long I have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

think it was about 2-3 weeks for results myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

How common is it to get the snip without any children?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How common is it to get the snip without any children?
    Probably more common in other countries than here, but it's not unheard of.

IIRC you're only just gone 18. I'd be surprised if any surgeon will perform a vasectomy on you without a compelling reason - such as a genetic issue, or you already have kids, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi guys
    I'm looking into getting this done and just has a question re price.

I had a circumcision a few years ago and naturally I went back to the same doctor.
    He wants €1350 To do it.

It seems expensive, when I look around there seems to be plenty of places that provide the same procedure in the €500 range.

Obviously i dont want to penny pinch and I'm not going to choose a place just beacuse its cheaper but at the same time it seems to be quite a difference in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I had a circumcision a few years ago and naturally I went back to the same doctor.
    He wants €1350 To do it.

It seems expensive, when I look around there seems to be plenty of places that provide the same procedure in the €500 range.

Obviously i dont want to penny pinch and I'm not going to choose a place just beacuse its cheaper but at the same time it seems to be quite a difference in price.

That's an outlandish price to be honest. As per my posts above I paid €450 which is about average.

As a general update on my own situation.. it's been over 3 months now since I got it done and I've had no problems at all. Sending off the sample next week and we'll see if it took :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi guys

He wants €1350 To do it.

Jesus that’s expensive - I paid €450 and very happy with the job

For €1350 I’d want the snip and a boob job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Thought it was closer to 600 at the time, but website says 450 now.

http://vasectomyireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Great thanks for the replies guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 RockDaddy

Jesus that’s expensive - I paid €450 and very happy with the job

For €1350 I’d want the snip and a boob job!!!

That’s crazy expensive. I got it form Dr John McCormick, one of the best in the business for about €450.
    After tax return, it worked out at about €380 or something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jimmy Twotimes

Seeing as the western birthrate has collapsed, it seems insane that men are willingly doing this (unless you already have children then fair enough).

RockDaddy wrote: »
    That’s crazy expensive. I got it form Dr John McCormick, one of the best in the business for about €450.
    After tax return, it worked out at about €380 or something like that!

I've heard Dr. McCormick does it on young men in their 20s without children. I suppose I should go for him?

And does he do the cauterized vasectomy where he burns the ends of the vas deferns to ensure they can't grow back (though rare, has happened)?

After how long are you supposed to wait and get the sperm count tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

And does he do the cauterized vasectomy where he burns the ends of the vas deferns to ensure they can't grow back (though rare, has happened)?

After how long are you supposed to wait and get the sperm count tested?

Yeah, he will cauterize the ends as an extra precaution. I can't remember exactly, but I think you need to wait 3 months before sending your sample in.

Yeah, he will cauterize the ends as an extra precaution. I can't remember exactly, but I think you need to wait 3 months before sending your sample in.

Yep it's 3 months. Due to send mine in next week

Here's a random question. Is it regular stamp postage? Not sure I want to go into the post office and tell them what is in the envelope :D

Got mine done for free. Had a gp visit card at the time and it was done through that (150 private).

It worked and I'm 6 years down the line. Got a recheck last year, no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Here's a random question. Is it regular stamp postage? Not sure I want to go into the post office and tell them what is in the envelope :D

I had a similar thought and live in Dublin so just dropped the envelope into the Rotunda myself

Has anyone thought of looking at their sperm pre-vasectomy and post-vasectomy? Not a joke but I've heard that 400x magnification microscopes can show you the sperm swimming in the semen. This is under a stained glass of course.

Post-vasectomy sperm shouldn't contain any swimmers as even one can cause pregnancy so you should always look at it too see if anything is there.

Has anyone thought of looking at their sperm pre-vasectomy and post-vasectomy? Not a joke but I've heard that 400x magnification microscopes can show you the sperm swimming in the semen. This is under a stained glass of course.

Post-vasectomy sperm shouldn't contain any swimmers as even one can cause pregnancy so you should always look at it too see if anything is there.

That's why a sample is sent in for testing. I personally don't contain a lab

Does anyone know how common is it to get a vasectomy done without any kids before and/or being in your early 20s? Was listening into a 98fm podcast with Adrian Kennedy where he had people call in who had a vasectomy. Every one of them had a kid. I'd be looking for one to preferably avoid any children.

Also have you heard anyone getting a woman pregnant despite getting the snip? I've heard it happens but I've read that those men most likely didn't wait six weeks and get their semen tested to see if there are no swimmers. They recommend no sex until the first test.

Also, you're supposed to get it tested at least twice a year after to ensure they haven't reconnected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Does anyone know how common is it to get a vasectomy done without any kids before and/or being in your early 20s? Was listening into a 98fm podcast with Adrian Kennedy where he had people call in who had a vasectomy. Every one of them had a kid. I'd be looking for one to preferably avoid any children.

Also have you heard anyone getting a woman pregnant despite getting the snip? I've heard it happens but I've read that those men most likely didn't wait six weeks and get their semen tested to see if there are no swimmers. They recommend no sex until the first test.

Also, you're supposed to get it tested at least twice a year after to ensure they haven't reconnected.
    mr_fegelien, between "hearing" that you can see your own swimmers at home, "hearing" that you can get pregnant after verified vascetomy, and suggesting we need to get tested twice a year, I suggest you talk to an expert insted of continuing to throw out stuff you've heard on Jeremy Kyle

What? They absolutely do not recommend no sex for 6 weeks ya lunatic!

Ya have to clear the pipes don't ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

No unprotected sex till your test results return , fire away with a condom till then .
    No you don’t have to get tested twice a year or even once a year for that matter.
    Me personally I got tested 6 months after procedure just to give myself peace of mind and again at two years.
    No swimmers detected so I haven’t bothered since ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It won't stop your beard growing, Mr F.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

Hi guys,
    Doo got the snip done yesterday morning, went with the no Needle no scalpel no stitches method with Dr Osman.
    So far so good, small but of brusing above the little incision/opening, no swelling, everything looks normal other than that small bit of bruising. Feels a bit tender, took neurophen twice yesterday, could probably have done without them but took them as a precaution but no need for any today.
    Slept fine last night and done a bit of house work today without issue.
    I was planning on going back to work on Monday and taking it easy, I have an outdoor job that requires a lot of moving around. I was wondering how long people in manual jobs took off before returning to work?
    Also Ive head of people developing pain and swelling etc a few days or weeks after, would this be common?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Did you figure out correct postage? It's prob a situation where I'll end up over paying just to be on safe side. But would prefer to just pay correctly.

3 months in here, no negative effects that I'm aware of and hopefully will get the all clear once I get this submitted.
    I went with Dr McCormick, partly due to the reassurances in this thread, and would have been a lot more nervous without the info I've been reading through here for quite a while before taking the plunge.
    There was a small fluid lump (there was a medical term, and was told is common enough) in left that took him a while to maneuver around and resulted in sensitivity for a few weeks which totally made sense, but nothing long term.
    Thanks for the support Gentlemen of Boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Just put the cup and form in a padded envelope, address on the front and the staff in post office will do the rest and charge you accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

how do you claim the taxback for this? I had my procedure done in 2020 so my understanding is I can claim it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

how do you claim the taxback for this? I had my procedure done in 2020 so my understanding is I can claim it now?

Med 1 form I assume. Same as any other medical receipts you may have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Med 1 form I assume. Same as any other medical receipts you may have.

Seems the med1 is gone, you claim it through my revenue it seems. I put in for it anyway.

Advertisement