Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The morning after...

Well first off, unlike once or twice in my life, I've no regrets :p

Took it easy as advised when I got home from the office. Had dinner, replied to some emails and lay on the couch watching telly. No pain but a bit of discomfort so I took another 2 nurofen around half 8 and went to bed around 11.

I think my biggest problem yesterday was me being probably overly cautious with things like going for a pee (which is a lot more awkward with the support which, although they may be common in sports, I've never used before).

Slept grand anyway and definitely less discomfort this morning. What was a bit of a dull ache yesterday is now only slight. So far so good. Don't feel any need for another 2 nurofen yet anyway.

Was told I can have a shower today but as I only got it done around lunchtime yesterday, I'm thinking of leaving it till later on or tomorrow? Or am I again worrying about nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Quick question on this.. I assume the refund is at the end of the tax year yea?

interested in this as well
    is this claimable under Med1 ?

med2 you can claim after the year that has passed .i.e not the tax year that you've got things done in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

geotrig wrote:
    interested in this as well is this claimable under Med1 ?

I had it done last year and claimed it as a medical expense when submitting my tax return.

I've never claimed med1 ,Do i just need to have a copy of the receipt for it to hand, or is it a more detailed receipt needed, similar to what is needed for med2 ?

The morning after...

Well first off, unlike once or twice in my life, I've no regrets :p

Took it easy as advised when I got home from the office. Had dinner, replied to some emails and lay on the couch watching telly. No pain but a bit of discomfort so I took another 2 nurofen around half 8 and went to bed around 11.

I think my biggest problem yesterday was me being probably overly cautious with things like going for a pee (which is a lot more awkward with the support which, although they may be common in sports, I've never used before).

Slept grand anyway and definitely less discomfort this morning. What was a bit of a dull ache yesterday is now only slight. So far so good. Don't feel any need for another 2 nurofen yet anyway.

Was told I can have a shower today but as I only got it done around lunchtime yesterday, I'm thinking of leaving it till later on or tomorrow? Or am I again worrying about nothing?

id leave the shower till tomorrow if you can to be safe ,they are still tender you know ! i found a slight bit more discomfort 2 - 3 rd day like a dull pain where someone kicked you in the nuts !

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on this from the guys who've had it done? I don't feel right without my daily shower :p

Also, how long did ye stick with the support/jockstrap for?

geotrig wrote: »
    id leave the shower till tomorrow if you can to be safe ,they are still tender you know ! i found a slight bit more discomfort 2 - 3 rd day like a dull pain where someone kicked you in the nuts !

That answers that :) Will do.. I was thinking a hot shower probably wouldn't be a good idea. Cheers.

So far I haven't had to resort to the nurofen. Occasionally get a bit of an ache but that might be from sitting at the desk all morning?

That answers that :) Will do.. I was thinking a hot shower probably wouldn't be a good idea. Cheers.

So far I haven't had to resort to the nurofen. Occasionally get a bit of an ache but that might be from sitting at the desk all morning?

yeah I was similar dont think i took any from memory ,not much pain overall just aches and being carefull i did have the feeling for a few days like "they" werent sitting right ,lol I think I left the js on for a day longer than was suggested only due to tenderness

There wouldn't be any damage having a quick shower, you just don't want to open that like incision or whatever it is .

yeah I was similar dont think i took any from memory ,not much pain overall just aches and being carefull i did have the feeling for a few days like "they" werent sitting right ,lol I think I left the js on for a day longer than was suggested only due to tenderness

There wouldn't be any damage having a quick shower, you just don't want to open that like incision or whatever it is .

True and thanks very much for your posts :)

I'm trying not to take tablets unless I need them (as a general rule anyway), but I'm finding that my legs are a bit cramped when I get up. I'm guessing it's the js and the sitting causing that.

Walking around the house for a few seems to help anyway. Nothing painful.. more like what you'd get after a bit of exercise or a long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any thoughts on this from the guys who've had it done? I don't feel right without my daily shower :p

Also, how long did ye stick with the support/jockstrap for?

Think I left both 48hrs.

• Advertisement

Day 2...

Still progressively getting better I think. No pain or discomfort yesterday so no need for Nurofen and slept fine again last night. The most awkward thing is the js as described above so I think I'll try without it today (not going anywhere) and see how that goes.

Might have a warm (as opposed to hot) shower later this morning too and see how that goes too. Things are still a bit swollen but on the plus side I woke with wood so at least things are still working :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 imspartacus

I had a vasectomy a few years ago. Although I absolutely wasn't looking forward to it - I pressed ahead, reassured by everyone saying I would be grand after a day or two.

I don't want to go into endless detail but I had a bad experience. Although the job was ultimately successful and I have absolutely no pain now, I did have several months of pain/swelling/discomfort that affected me throughout the day for those few months.

-just want to put it out there that although almost everyone has a good experience, not everyone does....but I suppose it's the same with any medical procedure.

I had a vasectomy a few years ago. Although I absolutely wasn't looking forward to it - I pressed ahead, reassured by everyone saying I would be grand after a day or two.

I don't want to go into endless detail but I had a bad experience. Although the job was ultimately successful and I have absolutely no pain now, I did have several months of pain/swelling/discomfort that affected me throughout the day for those few months.

-just want to put it out there that although almost everyone has a good experience, not everyone does....but I suppose it's the same with any medical procedure.

Agreed. In fairness to Dr McCormick, he's very upfront and clear on the potential problems that can arise, treatments and potentially long term effects. You are "playing the odds" to a degree.

I won't say I'm back to normal here yet but I had the shower earlier, have left the js off, and aside from a bit of swelling and a bit of tenderness depending on how I'm sitting, I am very happy with the recovery so far. Aside from the 4 nurofen I took on the day, I haven't needed anything since - but I've been home, not been out and lying on the couch after I'm finished working and going to bed a bit earlier too. Someone more active or with a more physical job could be different.

I definitely am glad that I finally got it done, and hopefully the recovery will continue to be positive over the coming days/weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Am I right in asking all the guys here that have had it done , I guess ye have very successful marriage and active ?

Am I right in asking all the guys here that have had it done , I guess ye have very successful marriage and active ?

Not married, one child, mid 40s... I love my son more than anything, but I don't want to be pushing into my 60s and worrying about how I'll help his sibling with college etc.

I'm quite happy with the one I have, but I've always had the 'what if it happened again?' thought in my mind, so for me this was the best and most logical solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

This does`nt work for everyone as has been done to death here in previous posts. I thought I could deal with it but it got into my head. Went back to the doc and he told me to stop stressing and your libido will come back. But I need chemical assistance now. According to the doc there is nothing physical wrong so its in my head but its a couple of years now and the it has`nt improved. I guess its a numbers game but it clearly does`nt work for all

Day 3..

Things (thankfully) continue to go well on the road to recovery here. I think the best thing for this is indeed lots of rest as every morning I've felt noticeably better after a night's sleep.

I think that the swelling is starting to reduce and with it the tenderness and overly cautious movements needed over the last few days.

Fingers crossed this continues to go well, and maybe I've been lucky, but I'm starting to feel optimistic that the worst is over :)

Today is another day of emails and conference calls but I need to do some shopping so I'll get a bit of exercise today anyway and see how that goes.

I don't want to bore you all so I'll probably check in again in a few days and let you know how things are, unless something happens in the meantime.

So, one week later...

While I'm still getting an occasional twinge/slight ache depending on how I'm sitting, I'm still well on the road to recovery. Swelling is much reduced with minimal help from Nurofen (had 2 on Saturday) and I wouldn't even know I'd had it done in general movement most of the time.

Things are working fine too from a libido and ejaculation perspective so no negative impacts there.

No regrets, was well worth it for me - but to be fair to the lads above too, maybe I just got very lucky with the ease of recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paddy138

Has anybody got theres done in gentle procedures clinic In Clane ? Any reviews on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cal1ph1

Just had op done in Donnybrook and all paid for with my medical card. Looked at video, turned up, bit of a chat and a 10 minute op. Back home within the hour. Unfortunately no football on the telly so had to watch some rubbish.
    site is vasectomy.ie. fully recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

alex73 wrote: »
    Don't go there. Knew a guy who got post-vasectomy pain syndrome, really painful. Its more common than they let on.

Phantom balls

• Registered Users Posts: 37 zeebests

A friend is getting his done next week, another man for my partner to point at as an example. Don't think I'm going to budge tho as feeling very squeamish. Esp after watching a YouTube video of the procedure....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Lads, this is a huge thread so I can't read through it all. I am giving this serious consideration as my wife has really bad effects when on her pill and I don't think it's fair to put all the pressure on her. We are finished having kids so that's not an issue so my question is, has anyone gone through
    gentleproceduresireland.ie?

It all seems very simple but surely it can't be completely painless can it? The cost is about €500, how is that in comparison to other places?

zeebests wrote: »
    A friend is getting his done next week, another man for my partner to point at as an example. Don't think I'm going to budge tho as feeling very squeamish. Esp after watching a YouTube video of the procedure....

What the hell did you do that for :eek:

Take off the pants, look at the ceiling for 15 mins, go home.

Lads, this is a huge thread so I can't read through it all. I am giving this serious consideration as my wife has really bad effects when on her pill and I don't think it's fair to put all the pressure on her. We are finished having kids so that's not an issue so my question is, has anyone gone through

It all seems very simple but surely it can't be completely painless can it? The cost is about €500, how is that in comparison to other places?
    I paid €450. As others have said, it's probably as uncomfortable as a filling, in both cases, the area is numb, you know something is going on, but apart from 2 pinches at the start, don't feel a thing.

I used them (gentle procedures )and found them great very professional and very nice to deal with and chatted away through the hole thing , painless is subjective , but pretty much is painless , I had one very one very mild sensation but that was it ,cant compare to others places as i only had it done once lol ! They were more convenient to me and eveything was quick and smooth to do, booked the week before etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Shedite27 wrote: »

Take off the pants, look at the ceiling for 15 mins, go home.

That tactic led to me requiring a vasectomy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I used them (gentle procedures )and found them great very professional and very nice to deal with and chatted away through the hole thing ,

Freudian slip?

So today is 3 weeks after getting it done, and I'm happy to report that I'm now fully recovered and firing on ALL cylinders again. Took about 2.5 weeks to get to that point but now it's like it never happened.

Best €450 I've spent in ages from my perspective :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So today is 3 weeks after getting it done, and I'm happy to report that I'm now fully recovered and firing on ALL cylinders again. Took about 2.5 weeks to get to that point but now it's like it never happened.

Best €450 I've spent in ages from my perspective :)

Do you mind me asking who you got the procedure with?

Advertisement