Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spamming fact or fiction

Options
  • 27-05-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

It doesnt matter what your fighter of choice is certain moves will always be spammed constantly whether it be for chip damage or screen control.
    The example im giving here is mk9 where a noob saibot player used the running clone tackle ten times in a row so thats the same as ten hadoukens or ten inferno dividers.
    What i would like to get all your opinions on this subject. Is spamming really cheap? is it my fault for not being able to get around his tactics? or is it unsporting on his part? or are claims of spamming just the number one excuse for poor losers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

or are claims of spamming just the number one excuse for poor losers?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

I don't think theirs a such thing as spamming but more so that a certain repetitive tactic will work better in certain match ups. Like Sagat vs Gief. Why shouldn't Sagat spam Tiger shots. Its more baout the match up and how it will favor you're character or not.

Like if a Noob Saibot player is going to spam the shadow run thingamajig then how good would it be vs teleport chars especially the likes of Raiden who can just teleport behind and punish.

But, online these tactics are superior especially with MK9 and all the delay, some s**t's impossible to punish online in that game. Ye can't react block, react punish etc

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

bush wrote: »
    Yes.
    thanks for the input

There's not much else to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

At low level play, spamming works because people don't know the way to get around tactics or play the meta-game: i.e. make people think it's safe to throw something and then punish.

MK - you can block teleports or jump. Have seen some players footsie to force a teleport. Take a step and block. If opponent teleports, you can punish.

I gave up on MvC3 for a while because I was being frustrated by Dante / Deadpool mixes with gunfire all over the screen. Got back into it and realised the potential of super jumps, air dashes, safe supers or moves like Wolverine's Beserker Slash.

Gotta work out a way to deal with spammed tactics...and then mix up a few different ones. In Street Fighter for example when dealing with fireballs you can jump, focus, block...or get hit but that wouldn't be recommended. Easy to get frustrated though but you just have to work at it.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

DOOM spams SONIC BOOMS, all day long.
    I THINK HE SHOULD BE BANNED FROM ALL TOURNAMENTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I understand the hatred of spamming. My brother and I used to have a rule in place (god bless those ol' imaginary rules) where you couldn't do more than two repetitions of a move in a row.
    If you're just sitting down to friendly game of something with some mates it's understandably annoying for those who never play the game and barely know how to move character around, let alone know the proper counters to stuff like teleport spamming if I keep using it over and over.
    However, if those players ever graduate to the point where they know any half decent play, or can get through a bunch of the combo challenges in modern games then they have no excuse to hate spamming and deserve the unholy rain of soul sparks I send their way.

When I'm playing online, if I'm playing someone who clearly has no idea what they're doing then I'll lay off on the spam and mess around with them for a bit, but if they show any sort of competency its all serious business.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I'd don't mind spamming it's just hard to get around sometimes online(ever tried jumping over an Ex sonic boom :p)Street fighter is the only fighting game I play currently and sagat and guile are the only characters I've had problems with.

Who do you play as? The matchup guide for Akuma on SRK was to out-Guile Guile :) Thankfully against Ryu or Sagat fireball fans online, you can go for a EX-demon flip and go to town on them!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Who do you play as? The matchup guide for Akuma on SRK was to out-Guile Guile :) Thankfully against Ryu or Sagat fireball fans online, you can go for a EX-demon flip and go to town on them!
    I use alot of characters I pick up one character then get bored after a while and move on to someone else:D I'm currently using cody and viper(not very well) I just don't like playing guiles because I don't have enough experience against him and his turtling ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I beat an akuma last night with just crouch mp... he just kept jumping in at me and then sent me hatemail calling me a scrub only using one move???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Stop zoning me, it's not fair

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Spamming is a legitimate tactic, unless it's actually unbeatable; eg: Akuma air-FB in ST.

In those extreme cases, a character needs to be banned, or you switch to a different, better game.

Read 'Playing To Win' as well. It's an interesting one and it does mention "spamming". Essentially: if it's going to beat you, he's going to do it.

Free link

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

On a serious note,
    Spamming is easily punishable. Games as far back as sf2 have mechanics in place that balance it out. First and foremost such moves usually have a longer recovery/active frames. For example: hadouken. At a medium distance you can easily jump in on the opponent.
    Games such as 3s have the parry mechanic. Games such as SF4 have the Focus mechanic. You can focus dash in if you do it right. Further more are moves that go through some spamming moves such as projectiles, eg: Chunli's ULTRA 1.

While Guiles booms are quite quick, its safe to say capcom have made it harder for him to build meter. I'm not sure how fair or unfair this is, all i know is that guile is a panzy

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

I appreciate everybodys opinions on this I might just take kikis advice and stop playing mk online. There are plenty of other fighters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I had this conversation with my 8 year old nephew:

Me: *Spamming Vega slide in Vanilla SF4, constantly tripping his Sagat*
    Nephew: You're not allowed to keep doing that, that's unfair
    Me: I'll keep doing whatever I like, but if you block it low, you can nail me with a Tiger Uppercut before I can block you
    Nephew: Hmmm *Starts punishing all my slides*
    Me: *Stops sliding*
    Nephew: You can keep sliding if you like, it's fine now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

That boy is now on the path of Yomi. Guide him well.

Spamming simply comes down to the fact that if you don't make me stop, I won't stop.

Online it can be annoying because there's some things that are next to impossible to counter/block/whatever with any amount of lag. But you have to recognise that this is the way online is. If you have problems with something lash it into training mode and try and beat it. If you can't do it online then you just need to forget about matches where people abuse it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll boom til you make me stop.

I'm not spamming, I'm teaching you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Prinny, tell your Nephew he's a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sairus wrote: »
    Prinny, tell your Nephew he's a legend.

He knows already.
    He is without a doubt the funniest person I know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »
    On a serious note,
    Spamming is easily punishable. Games as far back as sf2 have mechanics in place that balance it out. First and foremost such moves usually have a longer recovery/active frames. For example: hadouken. At a medium distance you can easily jump in on the opponent.
    Games such as 3s have the parry mechanic. Games such as SF4 have the Focus mechanic. You can focus dash in if you do it right. Further more are moves that go through some spamming moves such as projectiles, eg: Chunli's ULTRA 1.

While Guiles booms are quite quick, its safe to say capcom have made it harder for him to build meter. I'm not sure how fair or unfair this is, all i know is that guile is a panzy

To be fair, while IVanilla Sagat was a leetle bit mental, Guile's crappy wake up game, poor mid screen pressure game and low (not so much in Super) damage are the trade offs.

It's amazing how non Guile players brush off how damaging a bad back/forward dash and focus are in 4 especially when your only real option is to block on wake up. Wise players abuse that well... I go dash happy when I play rose and chun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Spamming is to fighting game as camping is to FPS. In FPS spawn camping is the spawn of the devil. The equivalent is using lag on online games (MK ahem) is a pain in z rectum as you can't block or punish like you can offline. But what can you do. Get on with it.

I had a bloke sending me a load of abuse on XBL the other day for using the same move in MvC3. It was strong DRF (gun) with Chris. I killed all 3 of his people. I was laughing as I knew it was wrecking his head.

He sent me a long message along of the lines of "spam muda lame suck etc" and saying that I only had one move. I sent back a message saying that I only needed one :pac:

Games already have rules. Whatever works do it. The cheaper the better. Its funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Not really a good comparison.
    In FPS's you can do feck all about camping at a spawn point.Lag or no lag,It's a tactic that people can exploit and no matter what your skill it's inescapable.you spawn and ya get a bullet in the head immediately
    On the other hand in fighting games,spamming can be easily overcome and punished by keeping a cool head,even with lag.
    For every move there is a move or tactic to overcome it and the more some fecker spams the more this window of opportunity should become noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

spamming is only deplorable on badly made games or in dodgy online lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Not really a good comparison.
    In FPS's you can do feck all about camping at a spawn point.Lag or no lag,It's a tactic that people can exploit and no matter what your skill it's inescapable.you spawn and ya get a bullet in the head immediately
    On the other hand in fighting games,spamming can be easily overcome and punished by keeping a cool head,even with lag.
    For every move there is a move or tactic to overcome it and the more some fecker spams the more this window of opportunity should become noticeable

Yea I agree with you mate. That is what I was saying. The comparison I meant was that people moaning about camping in FPS and spamming in FGs. Rules are already in games and developers did not want it that way they would make it so that you start to glow in FPS for standing still or you have a limited amount of special moves in FPs then people should just get on with it and stop moaning.

Spawn camping is completely different and would be a comparison to an unintended glitch in a fighting game that is usually patched out.

Is this spamming? Its just tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Like many here have already said, if someone is spamming moves, its your job to find a way around it. Not theirs. When I first started playing vanilla SFIV, I did all the trials for Ken/Ryu/Akuma to know each of their combo potential and spent a good few hours in training mode. My brother did not and couldn't really do FADCs but even though I had much nastier damage potential, my strategy is worse compared to him. He'd zone the hell out of me, locking at certain distances and throwing out hadoukens and reacting to my jump ins with shoryukens (I also have some bad offensive habits) but the fact that I lost matches because of it, he still won fair and square because he had a method that was better than me then I find a way around his tactics and beat him a few times then he'd find a new tactic to beat my new tactic and so on and so forth.

Spawn killing in FPS games, now thats just total bullsh*te! but there is always a way round spamming in FGs. Guile Sonic Booms, if you're using a shoto like Ryu or Akuma, my personal choice is tatsu to go through it. You have to predict the Sonic Boom ofcourse to do the tatsu because Guile's recovery is fairly quick but there is always a bit of gambling in fighting games anyway so sometimes, you'll predict right and other times it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Ok listen if the word spamming enters your vocabulary when talking seriously you should start asking yourself some questions. Spamming is fictitious

No it's not spamming eco2live, Ryu - Dhalsim is a very tough match for Ryu in SFIV. Dhalsim can zone and keep out Ryu for days. It's incredibly hard for Ryu to even get near to Dhalsim. Jumping just gets you AAd, random tatsu through yoga fire is a complete guess and not worth the risk. There is no real linear way to approach a good Dhalsim who knows what's what without using fireballs to mantain ground.

Dhalsim is a character who can really test Ryu's fireball zoning, from a certain range he can just st.fierce after Yoga Fire, so you need to know the range at which you can throw, which is almost fullscreen. Exactly where Dhalsim wants you.

Daigo used cr.strong to hit some of Sim's pokes, and slowly push forward with patient fireballing. It's not spamming because it's integral to Ryu's game and especially this matchup

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Spamming definitely exists, only last night I had my first game of SSFIV in days and fought some Chun li who constantly did that overhead crossup thing that she does, and because I was so rusty, actually won the first round with little trouble. I didn't give him a chance of a repeat performance in rounds 2 and 3, and won the fight.

I was then removed from the session by my opponent....

So this person wouuld easily qualify for my definition of what a spammer is, and also comfortably makes the c***s*cker grade to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Thing is Noob's Shadow Tackle is very fast, has a knockdown effect on hit and a knockback effect on block and has got to be one of the smallest recovery time projectile moves in MK9, so i can see how it could be frustrating. In a lag enviroment its cheap tactic for a win as that punishable window gets even smaller. Characters that have a teleport will destroy a Noob spammer. You have to rush down Noob, hes got nothing in close. 2 Overheads and one high high low combo. Thats it. No launchers even. I have only lost to one Noob spammer online and that was with Sub-Zero, horrible matchup

Advertisement