Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseeker allowance discourages people to find work?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

later10 wrote: »
    I suggest you read the report.
    I suggest you check yourself for failure of WPP
    ONLY one out of every 230 people on the dole is currently working under a scheme set up by the previous government to tackle joblessness among graduates and the unemployed.

The Fas work-placement scheme, which was launched in May 2009, allows graduates and the unemployed to take up an unpaid work placement while continuing to receive the dole.

Although there are currently 440,000 people on the dole, only 1,876 of these are on placements under the scheme.

Since it was launched, 3,875 people took up placements -- but many of these have since dropped off. The maximum time that can be spent on any one placement is nine months.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/fas-workplacement-scheme-finds-job-for-1-in-230-2647500.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

You're not. You have to be "actively seeking, and available for work" in order to be on the live register. Regardless of the fact that you're paid the same amount every week, they take you off the register and mark you as being busy doing something else, as if it was your choice in the first place.
    The WPP participants are not on the register, but the above is not completely correct. The live register is an administrative count of all the relevant claimants, including those who are in work of some sort, although they may simply be underemployed, casual or seasonal workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

First you misread the ESRI report (or did not read it at all, which is more likely) and now you are apparently misreading this.

One in 213 means that there are 400,000 people on the dole (according to the journalist, that is not entirely accurate, but lets ignore it) and only 1876 have taken up placements.

400,000/ 1,876 = 213

All it means is that the work placement presently has a low take-up among the unemployed, not that it doesn't help find jobs or promote upskilling for the unemployed.

I seriously suggest you read your links twice before you post them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think we should introduce a volunteer community initiative program run entirely on a volunteer basis but initialised by the government to get it kicked off.

We all know that there are plenty of people on the dole who do not want to work. Most want to however. Such a program would give people on welfare who want to work a way of distinguishing themselves from the bums.

Simple things like street cleaning and tidy town work. It doesn't have to be in the area they are looking for a job in really but just something to show that sitting on their rear at home all day isn't their idea of a lifestyle choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

If i had a choice, i would pay people their full entitlement to dole based on their PAYE stamps and previous employment history, and once that has expired, and they drop on to Unemployment Assistance they are put to work in the public sector, doing work that is suited to their level of experience (properly supervised) maybe 10-20 hours per week in order to save the state some money for it's social welfare spend. It could be road sweeping, records administration, front of house work, anything, based on a work placement suitability assessment. The longer people had spent on social welfare, the more hours per week they would have to work for the state, which creates a saving in the public sector, and does away with the option to sit on your hole and get free money all your life.

Have to say, as someone who is unemployed, I'd grab that with 2 hands. I've steered clear of some suggestions which do actually involve manual work and as a girl, I would question whether I'd actually be able to do some of it or not (and before I get the comments about breaking nails, and should just take what you get, I've spent the last few years on site so I'm not afraid of hard work - but there are certain things that women just won't be able to do)...but front of house secretarial work, records admin, even tidying up flowerbeds and the like at the entrances to towns - fine. Anything to get out of the house.

Why aren't we all running the country again??;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Davekoolhill

I think that is the main problem people have. It's probably unfair to say that those that receive allowance do not try for jobs because plenty of people are in a very difficult situation and most people who are unemployed would much rather be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lacyfrise

im on the dole but constantly am out searching for work, ya im sure there are a few that don't get off their butt n search but the fact is it's an emplyers market, i know im always either under qualified or over qualified, and i would gladly take any kind of job if it ment getting out of the house and doing something :)

dan_d wrote: »
    Have to say, as someone who is unemployed, I'd grab that with 2 hands

I'm not unemployed, but I have been, and if I was in that situation again so would I, and it's refreshing to see some others who feel the same.

Aside from purely selfish motives like networking your way into paid positions or getting work experience or the like, this would give people who want to work and contribute to the society that is paying their bills a huge self confidence and morale boost, and at the same time identify and marginalize the dossers who don't want to work so the system could concentrate it's resources on them and step up the pressure on them to find a job, which has to be a good thing.

Advertisement