Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Lithium to water supplies will reduce suicide rates...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I don't know/care
    I would object to it the same way I object to the fluoridation of water. Medicating yourself should be a choice, why enforce something that may or may not have a beneficial effect on a small minority of people but may also prove toxic. A risk like that is something that may be worth taking if you are aware you have something medically wrong with you but not otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I don't know/care
    Why put anything in the water its ridiculous the amount of crap thats added and isn't needed especially fluoride and chlorine!

I heard that back in the 60s a couple of guys made that much LSD that they didn't know what to do with it but they got arrested trying to pour it into Birmingham's water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Could it not just be sambucca instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I don't know/care
    More nanny state rubbish. I'd rather the government stop telling me when I can and cannot purchase alcohol, whether I'm responsible enough to take products that contain codeine and whether or not I should be on lithium. This is an absolutely ludicrous proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

It's not a proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

im human. let me feel how i want to, its not up to anyone else let alone a government to dictate or control how i think.
    Bloody facists

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah , maybee they just shouldnt add anything to our water , that would be nice
    so we shouldn't add chlorine to kill the nasties ?

or use aluminium hydroxide to remove suspended particles ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't know/care
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Sodium valproate is the drug of choice in treating mood disorders as far as I know. Lithium isnt used as much.

No lithium is widely used.

Ok where to being with this one.

First, as Bleg says, there is no proposal to do this, there never was - somebody just thought it made a nice news story. Its a nice soundbite to get your research publicized

Second - this:
    It'll probably kill me if they added it to our water,I'm already on Lithium!

Therapeutic level of Lithium is close to toxic levels and I have to have blood tests every now and then to check them,so it wouldn't be as simple as dumping Lithium in our water and everybody becomes happy!

A lot of people are already on lithium. It has a low therapeutic index - in other words a little too much makes it toxic instead of therapeutic. People like starviewadams would be put at risk.

Third - a statistical association was found in an ecological level. Thats not nearly enough evidence to push this kind of idea. Also there could be a whole bunch of confounders and effect modifiers at play.

Fourth - like, fluoride, there is no control on dose any individual receives. This would be potentially very dangerous with lithium since it gets dangerous quickly.

Fifth - this is what happens when you accidentally add to much aluminium to water:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-11720343
    If this happened with lithium you would have nothing short of mass deaths.

So anyone still think adding lithium to water is a good idea ?
    Go home folks - nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, yeah!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...yeah!

They should spike the water with Nirvana's Lithium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Thought you were going all LCD Soundsystem there, and was confused about the relevance.

But yes, Nirvana in the drinking supply, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

tldr, i say yes to lithium.
    After all, who doesn't like a bit of nirvana?

Ought to cheer us all right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Why should I be forced to wash my car and water my garden with lithium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I don't know/care
    There is plenty lithium in seawater. and besides we need it for making batteries not pouring it down the drain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Thought you were going all LCD Soundsystem there...

You thought I was breaking up?

I've changed my mind about the Lithium. This post LCD world is too harsh and cruel for my gentle heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I don't know/care
    I've changed my mind about the Lithium. This post LCD world is too harsh and cruel for my gentle heart.

You're dead right, I find the CRT world to be my comfort zone but lucky for you LCD's are still in production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I don't know/care
    Having alredy made the decision to not take lithium and other mood stabilizers for my bi polar I would be quite pissed off if it was put in the water supply.

Anyway isnt it toxic and when you are on it you need to get regular blood tests.

Wouldnt a better solution be to try break down the stigma around mental illness and depression and make it cheaper and easier to get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

They could just say they're doing it and actually do nothing, for a big fat placebo effect.

Of course now they can't because it only works if you don't know its a placebo. Or maybe people will think its a placebo when its actually not, leading to the opposite effect. Or maybe I should just shut up now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I don't know/care
    any quick fix to help the human mind adapt to an artificial society.

so matrix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I want the water that comes out of my tap to be as close to natural as possible.
    Pure H2O and whatever gets dissolved in from the bedrock on the way is what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

They will not be happy till we all become comfortably numb.

If the government tell me to turn left i will turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Any chance the knobs in control will just give us pure, clean water with nothing added?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I don't know/care
    I don't like the idea of forced medication and this should never go ahead. there is enough chemicals already in the water supply and fluoride should be removed as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I presume that a Lithium Tax wouldn't be far behind. Or maybe you could have it free on a medical card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

The first article is the original article quoted on a different thread. It got no support after being mooted. The second article says nothing about dosing people with lithium, just reports some studies. I'd have to read those studies before I will comment on them, newspapers have a tendency to change the findings of studies to suit sales/editorial agendas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I don't drink water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I don't know/care
    I'm sure this can be brought to the european court on human rights as this government and past ones are force medicating their citizens in relation to fluoride and other chemicals. now they want us to pay for forced medication as well as in water charges. maybe the citizens of Ireland are so medicated they can't see the problem of this.

sure look at fluoride from the FDA in america never mind lithium... the United States FDA (Food & Drug Administration) has required that all fluoride toothpastes sold in the U.S. carry a poison warning on the label.

The warning cautions toothpaste users to... "WARNING: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately. One of the little-known facts about fluoride toothpaste, is that each tube of toothpaste even those specifically marketed for children - contains enough fluoride to kill a child.

it is not supposed to be ingested but it's in our water supply and we ingest water. surely people are aware of ingesting this crap and now they want to put lithium in it, crazy.

the FDA warning is on toothpaste for a reason so why would they put it there if it was harmless ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't know/care
    ****ing hell, the idea that not only has this been tested but that there is a train of thought that it should be implemented it terrifying.

I have had people in my life kill themselves, it a sad waste but this is by far not the answer. This blanket medication of everyone from newborns up is ****ing insane and reminds me of some nazi experiment.

Suicide is a terrible thing and I think it's Ireland's dirty little secret, particularly when it comes to young males. Maybe if when they were in crisis there was some sort of support there, I.e counselling that you weren't put on a waiting list for then perhaps we wouldn't loose so many.

Advertisement