Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Saorview Set Top Box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭liamtech

ALDI SAORVIEW BOX: THIS UNIT IS NOT A PVR -

I emailed Akura yesterday to adress whether or not this unit has PVR functions:
    Dear Sir.

I am afraid the USB connector is for “Firmware” upgrade only. This box is sold only as a Receiver not a PVR

Kindest Regards

Denis G Mott

Technical Manager Akura Ltd

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Hi lads with this set top box if a television does not have a HDMI port can it still be used i understand that you wont get HD picture, can the picture be put through a scart lead?

2 scart sockets on the box,the specs are in the pic posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

liamtech wrote: »
    ALDI SAORVIEW BOX: THIS UNIT IS NOT A PVR -

I emailed Akura yesterday to adress whether or not this unit has PVR functions:

Good work LT. No doubt a barrage of complaints about this 'has'/'has not' PVR function by USB will follow when buyers read the AKURA instruction book (link provided by davehey79 yesterday). Quote from Page 6 re. USB Connection:
    You may connect a USB Hard disk drive or Memory stick to your STB by using the USB connection.
    This feature allows you to play files or record programmes on the USB memory.
    2.5” and 3.5” (Hdd with external power supply) are supported.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭eor123

Sooo.. for a non-techy guy, will this box receive a the soarview signal?
    And will I get other channels other than the ones on soarview?

And, can I put progs recorded on sky onto a memory stick and play them on this box, did i read that right a few comments back? - prob not! :P

these questions have prob been answered already in techy language! ha sorry.. :rolleyes:

Good work LT. No doubt a barrage of complaints about this 'has'/'has not' PVR function by USB will follow when buyers read the AKURA instruction book (link provided by davehey79 yesterday). Quote from Page 6 re. USB Connection:

:confused:

Thanks Pressthebutton.

To be honest i sent that email yesterday after reading the manual, but noting the significant absence of any mention of what would seem to be a key function of this unit on the ALDI advert! IM quite literally ASTONISHED by the email - I fully expected them to confirm what we "THOUGHT" we already knew -

So it seems the WALKER PVR box is the best on the market at this point in terms of value! Have to say im seriously considering that unit for PVR functionality - the only issue is the lack of a Time-shift functioning on that unit!Ive enjoyed recording my BBC/FTA28.2 channels and would love to duplicate this functionality on saorview but ... Im genuinely considering taking a punt on a FREEVIEW+HD unit

• Advertisement

Im genuinely considering taking a punt on a FREEVIEW+HD unit
    Went for the Saorview certified Triax TR112 myself & coupled it with my Freesat (2008 Panasonic :o) iDTV. All bases covered but 2 remotes. :( Haven't yet tried the PVR function on the Triax but so far no problems with it, fingers crossed after your horrendous experience with the 'original' 537.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OMG - FAT32 :confused: Not very intelligent for people with 1Tb+ HDD's. Weak...

Stupid. If it supported ext3, I could use it with the same external HDD I archive stuff onto from my Foxsat HDR... :( it's not like there's a licensing cost for ext3, and >4GB files would then be supported.

Anyone know what file systems the Walker '12' box and TR112 support?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

eor123 wrote: »
    Sooo.. for a non-techy guy, will this box receive a the soarview signal?
    And will I get other channels other than the ones on soarview?

And, can I put progs recorded on sky onto a memory stick and play them on this box, did i read that right a few comments back? - prob not! :P

these questions have prob been answered already in techy language! ha sorry.. :rolleyes:
    3Q's there eor123. A's:

1: Box will receive Saorview - wouldn't have the (Saorview) logo if it didn't. Then again some said Titanic was unsinkable.

2: It will get these Saorview channels and services.
    It will not have BBC or ITV. You need Freesat (dish and satellite receiver anywhere in Ireland) or Freeview (only from N.I. or Wales via bigger aerial, like UK analogue TV since 1950s). Freesat (anywhere) and Freeview (parts of East coast and Border) are free UK services.
    3: Question marks surround functionality of USB on the Aldi box. See above, in particular liamtech's well sourced post above:
    Dear Sir.
    I am afraid the USB connector is for “Firmware” upgrade only. This box is sold only as a Receiver not a PVR
    Kindest Regards
    Denis G Mott

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭touts

ninja900 wrote: »
    Stupid. If it supported ext3, I could use it with the same external HDD I archive stuff onto from my Foxsat HDR... :( it's not like there's a licensing cost for ext3, and >4GB files would then be supported.

Anyone know what file systems the Walker '12' box and TR112 support?

For those of us outside Dublin who cant call into a power city after work is there anywhere else you can get the walker "12" box.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Power City deliver Nationwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭touts

watty wrote: »
    Power City deliver Nationwide.

They may well do but I'm sure it is at an extra cost and at a time and date that suits them so you have to take a day off work to wait for a delivery sometime between 6am-6pm. It's not that Powercity are any different from other suppliers but whenever I have used someone who "delivered nationwide" it ended up costing me considerably more than the apparent bargain.

So I ask again are there any stockists OUTSIDE Dublin (specifically Limerick).

touts wrote: »
    ...are there any stockists OUTSIDE Dublin (specifically Limerick).

Saorview website has a Products & Retailers tab. Click through and enter county.

Limerick retailers here:

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/find-a-retailer/?county=18&btsumbit=Search#

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

They may well do but I'm sure it is at an extra cost and at a time and date that suits them so you have to take a day off work to wait for a delivery sometime between 6am-6pm.

Would you not have the package delivered to your work address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They may well do but I'm sure it is at an extra cost and at a time and date that suits them so you have to take a day off work to wait for a delivery sometime between 6am-6pm. It's not that Powercity are any different from other suppliers but whenever I have used someone who "delivered nationwide" it ended up costing me considerably more than the apparent bargain.

So I ask again are there any stockists OUTSIDE Dublin (specifically Limerick).
    Afaik they only charge €5 for delivery nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Anybody know if this or any other STB has left & right audio outputs. My TV only has DVI input & I need some way of transferring audio.

Anybody know if this or any other STB has left & right audio outputs. My TV only has DVI input & I need some way of transferring audio.

Aldi (AKURA AVT8010) Saorview STB complete specification available in Instruction Book here:

http://www.akura.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=230:avt8010&catid=39:manuals&Itemid=90

FYI - Re. Saorview Triax TR112 STB (not the answer you were hoping for):
    Stereo (left & right) Audio - Single SCART for TV.
    Digital Video & Audio Output - HDMI Connector.
    Optical Digital Audio SPDIF - TosLink Interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

"Anyone know what file systems the Walker '12' box and TR112 support?"
    Walker WP12DTB-R usb supports FAT32 only (page 8 of manual) so no NTFS or ext3 support.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks. I've ordered the TR112 from tvtrade.ie (got 10% off with a promo code) and they had a decent offer on a 250GB Seagate HDD as well so I ordered that too...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

So is this Aldi box a pvr or is it not a pvr because there is no mention of it been able to record on the brochure whereas above it in the brochure whilst talking about the fta sat box it says "USB socket for recording to USB storage device" but it mentions nothing about recording under the Saorview receiver.

• Advertisement

sob1467 wrote: »
    So is this Aldi box a pvr or is it not a pvr because there is no mention of it been able to record on the brochure whereas above it in the brochure whilst talking about the fta sat box it says "USB socket for recording to USB storage device" but it mentions nothing about recording under the Saorview receiver.

Well i emailed them and got the following response:
    Dear Sir.

Kindest Regards

Denis G Mott

I would say it is not PVR, but possibly may be upgraded via an appropriate firmware - but i wouldn't buy it unless your prepared for the possibility of no such firmware ever appearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well i emailed them and got the following response:

I would say it is not PVR, but possibly may be upgraded via an appropriate firmware - but i wouldn't buy it unless your prepared for the possibility of no such firmware ever appearing!

This is an email I got from Akura this morning. Definitely NOT a pvr.

" Dear Sir

This model is NOT a Recorder.. It allows playback of MP3 Media etc only.

It should playback any media on the HDD, as long as it is authored correctly

Kindest Regards
    Denis G Mott
    Technical Manager Akura Ltd"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bit of a pity it doesn't record.

As I posted on another thread, Power City are currently doing a Saorview STB with PVR for the same price as the Aldi box. Seems like the better deal:
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-WP12DT&pages=1&prod=WP12DT&brands=WALKER&image=

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

I have used a scart connection on a Fortec Star to a old Yamada HDD for 4 years on a bedroom set up and it works well not as good as Hd but better than analog. The same set up will work to feed a old CRT TV with a scart

just spoke to a guy in Harvey Normans, he says that they will be receiving a Saorview STB in 2-3 weeks retailing for around €50.

Check out the Ferguson Ariva 120 Combo. Photos front & back on separate thread, link below - seems to have what you're looking for. Price is right too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284276

just spoke to a guy in Harvey Normans, he says that they will be receiving a Saorview STB in 2-3 weeks retailing for around €50.

Harvey Norman selling Saorview Finlux range TVs. Wonder if the Saorview STB they intend selling for €50 is this:
    FINLUX – Model Number SAO634 STB T8010, OEM Vestel (SW 8.1) and above?

No info on the model that I could find in the Finlux website.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sylver72

Hello!,
    I have three tv.s in the house connected to the ariel via a booster/splitter box. Can i connect this aldi saorview box to the booster box and service all thhree tv.s or do i need one box per t.v?

This is a snapshot from a PDF document which mentions the Vestel STB T8010 which seems to be dressed up as the Finlux SAO639. Link to the relevant document from 2009.

http://www.dvb.org/news_events/dvbscene_magazine/DVB-SCENE31.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

sylver72 wrote: »
    Hello!,
    I have three tv.s in the house connected to the ariel via a booster/splitter box. Can i connect this aldi saorview box to the booster box and service all thhree tv.s or do i need one box per t.v?

You will need a box for each TV. It replaces the tuner in the TV. The output is either through the HDMI cable or the SCART. Most boxes do not have a UHF output through a modulator. An external modulator and the extra cabling would cost more than the required extra boxes and give you a lesser result.

Advertisement