Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Saorview Set Top Box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

Cant see a USB port on the front as per the Vestel above. No mention of USB in specs.

if you zoom in on the pic in the browser you can see USB on the front panel to the right of the unit ( after HD / HDMI / DVB )

here it is on the akura site

http://www.akura.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=431&category_id=41&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89

http://www.akura.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=230:avt8010&catid=39:manuals&Itemid=90

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

Cant see a USB port on the front as per the Vestel above. No mention of USB in specs.
    Photo of Aldi STB not very sharp but methinks it says 'HDMI DVB USB' on front right hand side of box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I must be watching too much TV:)
    couldn't hear Pat Rabbite and couldn't read advert:eek:

davehey79 wrote: »

if you click the 2nd link to the pdf quick start guide and the manual you will see adiagram showing a usb slot on the back

Taken from the user manual

USB Connection.
    •You may connect a USB Hard disk drive or Memory stick to your STB by using the USB connection.
    This feature allows you to play files or record programmes on the USB memory.
    • 2.5” and 3.5” (Hdd with external power supply) are supported.
    • To record a programme, the HDD or Memory stick must be connected while the STB is turned off. Turn on
    the STB and the box will enable the record feature.
    • IMPORTANT. To avoid data loss. Ensure any files on the Memory media is “Backed up”. Akura
    accepts no responsibility for any data lost on your External Memory, under ANY circumstances.
    • It is Possible that certain makes and types of external memory media may not work with this STB, e.g MP3
    players.
    • IMPORTANT. The STB only supports FAT32 disk format. NTFS is NOT supported. If a NTFS disk is
    connected the STB will ask you to format the Memory media.
    Any data stored on the Memory media will be lost when the media is formatted in FAT 32.
    • To connect a USB Hard drive to the STB it should have a cable as short as possible. USB 2.0 format is
    required.
    • It is recommended that Disk Drives of 1TB (Terra Byte) or larger should be formatted on a PC in FAT 32
    mode. The STB may not format drives over 1TB successfully.
    • CAUTION. Do NOT unplug the USB device while the STB is turned on. This may damage the USB
    interface on the STB or the Memory media. Do not unplug while playing a file or programme, the data may
    be corrupted.
    Programme Recording.
    Any Memory media must have a minimum capacity of 1GB and a speed of 2.0. If the media is not 2.0 speed
    the STB will display an error message.
    One hour of recording takes up a space of approximately 2GB.
    For more information about recording programmes see sections :- “Instant Recording”, “Electronic Programme
    Guide”, “Recordings Library” or “Recording timers”.
    Recorded programmes are stored in the directory \DVD\RECS. An .IDX file is created for each recording. This
    file includes information such as “Broadcaster”, “Programme” and “Recorded Time”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭liamtech

So Akura unit is certified - I am going to buy one of these i reckon! And i may advise friends to do the same

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 5 munster nomad

davehey79 wrote: »
    Taken from the user manual

USB Connection.
    •You may connect a USB Hard disk drive or Memory stick to your STB by using the USB connection.
    This feature allows you to play files or record programmes on the USB memory.
    • 2.5” and 3.5” (Hdd with external power supply) are supported.
    • To record a programme, the HDD or Memory stick must be connected while the STB is turned off. Turn on
    the STB and the box will enable the record feature.
    • IMPORTANT. To avoid data loss. Ensure any files on the Memory media is “Backed up”. Akura
    accepts no responsibility for any data lost on your External Memory, under ANY circumstances.
    • It is Possible that certain makes and types of external memory media may not work with this STB, e.g MP3
    players.
    • IMPORTANT. The STB only supports FAT32 disk format. NTFS is NOT supported. If a NTFS disk is
    connected the STB will ask you to format the Memory media.
    Any data stored on the Memory media will be lost when the media is formatted in FAT 32.
    • To connect a USB Hard drive to the STB it should have a cable as short as possible. USB 2.0 format is
    required.
    • It is recommended that Disk Drives of 1TB (Terra Byte) or larger should be formatted on a PC in FAT 32
    mode. The STB may not format drives over 1TB successfully.
    • CAUTION. Do NOT unplug the USB device while the STB is turned on. This may damage the USB
    interface on the STB or the Memory media. Do not unplug while playing a file or programme, the data may
    be corrupted.
    Programme Recording.
    Any Memory media must have a minimum capacity of 1GB and a speed of 2.0. If the media is not 2.0 speed
    the STB will display an error message.
    One hour of recording takes up a space of approximately 2GB.
    For more information about recording programmes see sections :- “Instant Recording”, “Electronic Programme
    Guide”, “Recordings Library” or “Recording timers”.
    Recorded programmes are stored in the directory \DVD\RECS. An .IDX file is created for each recording. This
    file includes information such as “Broadcaster”, “Programme” and “Recorded Time”.

OMG - FAT32 :confused: Not very intelligent for people with 1Tb+ HDD's. Weak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

FAT32 and even short filenames is a limitation on many boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

liamtech wrote: »
    So Akura unit is certified - I am going to buy one of these i reckon! And i may advise friends to do the same

Where does it say on any RTE site that they are Certified?

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Will this work with the old ntl dodgy boxes?

• Advertisement

no
    Not even with new shiny ones,

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

watty wrote: »

Would Acura be allowed to use the Saorview Logo on their Box without certification ? It is clearly on their website :

AVT8010__4dc7d4c36618c.jpg

Maybe saorview website is not fully up to date yet ?
    Then again, Akura may be jumping the gun ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

bob11 wrote: »
    Would Acura be allowed to use the Saorview Logo on their Box without certification ? It is clearly on their website :

AVT8010__4dc7d4c36618c.jpg

This from RTÉ
    RTÉ has appointed Teracom AB to conduct receiver compliance testing for SAORVIEW receivers, both STBs and iDTVs. Those receivers which pass the tests thereby meeting the SAORVIEW specification will be eligible to be licensed to use the “SAORVIEW” logo, which will confirm to consumers that the receiver is SAORVIEW compliant.

Manufacturers/distributors wishing to use the SAORVIEW logo should contact Teracom (irdtest@teracom.se) to arrange testing. When a receiver passes the tests, it will then be eligible to be licensed by RTÉ to carry the SAORVIEW logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Is it me, or is there no mention of MHEG5 in the Akura specs?
    Seems weird if it appears to be Saorview approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Aldi are also selling an aerial for use with the box http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16980.htm

Product_detail_Wk20T10a28a.jpg

For the price of a Walker box,you can get a set top box and aerial kit in Aldi;)

watty wrote: »

Let's not forget this STB will not be on sale until 2nd June. (See ad) so maybe Aldi are confident of appearing on the Saorview approved list by then. Would have been more correct of them to to asterisk the word 'Saorview' in the meantime with a note explaining Saorview certification was pending or TBA. Very naughty of them it hasn't either been already certified (in which case saorview.ie website needs updating) or if it isn't by the time the product goes on sale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

zerks wrote: »
    Aldi are also selling an aerial for use with the box http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16980.htm

Product_detail_Wk20T10a28a.jpg

For the price of a Walker box,you can get a set top box and aerial kit in Aldi;)

That looks like the tin foil one Argos were selling for €9 a few months back, but Argos did not give the bracket or cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Thanks!
    The Cush wrote: »
    The epg data (DVB-SI, Event Information Table (EIT)) is transmitted within the multiplex data stream incl audio, video, text etc. The data is then displayed by the manufacturers built in guide.

It's an attic aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Digital Aerial? When are they bringing out their HD Aerial:D

• Advertisement

Digital Aerial? When are they bringing out their HD Aerial:D
    Doesn't say 'Digital Aerial'! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Yes the AVT8010 is made by Vestel and rebadged. Apparently the Vestel/SIDSA T8000/8010 Series. Its an NEC chipset. The USB at the back.

Vestel obviously have the Saorview certification. Its a rebadge.

Here....

160688.JPG

160690.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ideally I'd like one box that'd get Irish and UK channels and be able to record onto it. But they could be a while until they come out.
    Would I be as well off getting 2 boxes- 1 for Irish channels & it able to record and 1 for UK channels & is able to record?

Do most of them have good tv guides; e.g. where you can see what's on for the next week and set to record in advance etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Am I right in my assumption that there's no way that aerial would pick up FreeView in Clontarf? I'm guessing a FreeView signal is only obtainable in Wexford / around the border?

Not Surprisingly the Walker Saorview products have come down to the same price point all of a sudden in Power City.

Hands up who is from Power City here ??????

One point to note on the Walkers get the "12" if you are going to buy the Walker, not the "11". The 12 is PVR enabled, the 11 isnt. Both are the same price. €79.99

@Sleepy - Yes you are right in your assumption. Get a HD combo box and you will get the Irish stations off DTT aerial and the UK stations off a sat dish all in one channel list (for free - the satellite channels mirror UK freeview).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Any recommendations of a good combo box that won't break the bank?

Not sure I can put up a dish as I'm in a rental property... would be very tempted to put up a Freesat dish though.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Any recommendations of a good combo box that won't break the bank?

Not sure I can put up a dish as I'm in a rental property... would be very tempted to put up a Freesat dish though.

€145 - "Tony" sells them - discount maybe for boardsies. PM him

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Free_to_air_HD_Satellite_and_Terrestrial_Digital_Ferguson_HD_Ariva_Combo_Box.html#aFerguson200Combo

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

That looks like the tin foil one Argos were selling for €9 a few months back, but Argos did not give the bracket or cable.

Aerial should be fine with correct alignment and polarisation(inside or outside).Some people might need a masthead amp and power supply.

Be careful up there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Hi lads with this set top box if a television does not have a HDMI port can it still be used i understand that you wont get HD picture, can the picture be put through a scart lead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭liamtech

STB wrote: »
    Yes the AVT8010 is made by Vestel and rebadged. Apparently the Vestel/SIDSA T8000/8010 Series. Its an NEC chipset. The USB at the back.

Vestel obviously have the Saorview certification. Its a rebadge.

Here....

160688.JPG

160690.JPG

Interesting to note that no where on the ALDI advert or box does it mention PVR - NOT ONCE

I know the website clearly states it, but if Aldi are not advertising it, then perhaps their not obliged to support it

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Advertisement