Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Pushtrak wrote: »
    So, you know better what perspective someone has than the person who has that perspective?

If they call themselves atheists, and object to that being called the belief that no gods exist, then yes, I most certainly know what it is better than they do.
    If someone comes up to you with a random claim, you can accept it, reject it or have no reason to do either. Having no reason to do either isn't some neutral agnostic position, as theism is an affirmation of a belief, and atheism is not having done so.

Whether you like it or not, atheism is whats new to humanity, not theism, so its not 'some random claim'. Civilisations, including our own, have been built on among other things, religious ideologies.

Of course, I've seen the whole 'NO, ATHEISM IS THIS' put very articulately, but its still BS. Its ridiculous that its even an issue. My suspicion, is that atheists that insist on this feel that saying that it means they BELIEVE something, somehow makes it religious. Its nonsense:) It just plays to the stereotype of the "I'm atheist. Argue with me damnit!' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

JimiTime wrote: »
    Whether you like it or not, atheism is whats new to humanity, not theism, so its not 'some random claim'. Civilisations, including our own, have been built on among other things, religious ideologies.
    I was using the claim as an illustration, but really, to me I'm going to stand by it being just any claim. Civilizations are built by people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I was using the claim as an illustration, but really, to me I'm going to stand by it being just any claim. Civilizations are built by people.

You are welcome to that opinion, just like flat earthers are welcome to theirs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jimi, there is a term separate to describe someone with the active belief that there are no gods: nontheism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

So, you know better what perspective someone has than the person who has that perspective? Interesting. Of course, you don't. If someone comes up to you with a random claim, you can accept it, reject it or have no reason to do either. Having no reason to do either isn't some neutral agnostic position, as theism is an affirmation of a belief, and atheism is not having done so.

I agree that there is no neutral position.

From a Christian perspective people have either rejected Jesus or they have believed and trusted in Him.

When I was an agnostic I may have thought I was taking the neutral path, but actually I was rejecting Jesus just as much as the next person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It is completely accurate to say that atheism is the belief that gods don't exist. The fact that some atheists insist that 'NO, ITS THE NON BELIEF IN DEITIES' is rather silly. Its the same thing.

Do you really not understand this point, or are you just arguing for the sake of it. Because by Zeus this point has been explained to you enough times already.

Two men stand in a room with a door behind it.

The first man says "There is a tiger behind the door".

The second man says "Don't be ridiculous, you couldn't possibly know that you are just making that up".

Is the second man saying he knows there isn't a tiger behind the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Unbelievable? ran a show a number of weeks back trying to pin down the definition of "atheism". It focused on the whole "I lack the belief in God" / "I don't believe that God exists" formalisation until the show turned predictably to the Christian having to defend his beliefs. An interesting listen.

Definitional problems, organised "services" (a fantastic listen for all, btw) and even a schism along the way. Welcome to club, lads.

Unbelievable? ran a show a number of weeks back trying to pin down the definition of "atheism". It focused on the whole "I lack the belief in God" / "I don't believe that God exists" formalisation until the show turned predictably to the Christian having to defend his beliefs. An interesting listen.

Definitional problems, organised "services" (a fantastic listen for all, btw) and even a schism along the way. Welcome to club, lads.

We'll try not to launch that many wars because someone has got it wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Zombrex wrote: »

Would he (the second man) open the door though?

Atheism is such a lazy intellectual approach, it's basically saying don't ask me to think.. the amazing thing is how so many atheists are forced to think and thus argue about God... you would think they wouldn't care... including yourself. How many posts do you have on the Christianity forum compared to the atheist forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

nagirrac wrote: »

Atheism is such a lazy intellectual approach, it's basically saying don't ask me to think.. the amazing thing is how so many atheists are forced to think and thus argue about God... you would think they wouldn't care... including yourself. How many posts do you have on the Christianity forum compared to the atheist forum?

How is it a lazy approach ? Perhaps you think that because we surrounded with theism and religion etc . But if one were reared in a completely atheistic environment it would have as much interest as why is coke better than pepsi .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

Atheism isn't an intellectual approach to anything. It is a belief position on a single subject. The intellectual approachs that lead to it are varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

Do you really not understand this point, or are you just arguing for the sake of it. Because by Zeus this point has been explained to you enough times already.

Two men stand in a room with a door behind it.

The first man says "There is a tiger behind the door".

The second man says "Don't be ridiculous, you couldn't possibly know that you are just making that up".

This makes for a good example of the problem with the idea that you are utterly neutral on a proposition without evidence.
    Does the second man, at the time of asking the question believe that behind the door there is a tiger, or does he believe that behind the door there isn't a tiger. In either case, he has a model of the world that he believes is the most accurate description of reality. He believes actively that reality is this way and not that. He might be entirely amenable to new evidence and entirely willing to change his model of reality in accordance with that evidence but in the interim, he thinks reality is like this and not like that.
    People don't go about with some kind of quantum superposition on propositions in their heads. There both is and isn't a tiger behind the door.

Is the second man in the exmaple above saying he believes there is not a tiger behind the door? I think he is. He doesn't know there isn't but it doesn't seem at all likely to him. In his model of reality, doors generally do not conceal tigers. He has been given no good reasons to alter his model and assumes that this door will be like all the other doors and not conceal a tiger. He will require more evidence before he alters his model to reflect a tiger behind this particular door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

If they call themselves atheists, and object to that being called the belief that no gods exist, then yes, I most certainly know what it is better than they do.

Of course, I've seen the whole 'NO, ATHEISM IS THIS' put very articulately, but its still BS. Its ridiculous that its even an issue. My suspicion, is that atheists that insist on this feel that saying that it means they BELIEVE something, somehow makes it religious. Its nonsense:) It just plays to the stereotype of the "I'm atheist. Argue with me damnit!' :)

Yeah some love a good argument lol
    and they move the goal posts more often than the Christians

Glad I'm not an atheist :)

It's easier being agnostic or spiritual...

That is not relevant to the analogy. The point is that the second man believes that neither of them know what is behind the door. By saying he rejects the claim of the first man he is not making any statement about what is or is not behind the door. He is rejecting the claims of the first man as being unsound.

Atheism is a statement about theists and what they don't know, what they accept without sound reasoning and what they make up.
    Atheism is such a lazy intellectual approach, it's basically saying don't ask me to think..
    No, it is saying don't ask me to just make stuff up (like making up that there is a tiger behind the door)

Considering your affinity to just making stuff up I can see why it would be unappealing to you.
    the amazing thing is how so many atheists are forced to think and thus argue about God... you would think they wouldn't care... including yourself.

I'll stop caring about theism when theists stop trying to arrange the world based on their made up notions.

I'll stop caring about theism when theists stop trying to arrange the world based on their made up notions.

The whole debate centres on the reliability of these notions. Sayin' they are made up don't make it so. You have to show us that they are made up.

Given that theists aren't gong away any time soon I guess that means you'll be hanging around internet forums caring about theism for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The whole debate centres on the reliability of these notions. Sayin' they are made up don't make it so. You have to show us that they are made up.

Given that theists aren't gong away any time soon I guess that means you'll be hanging around internet forums caring about theism for a while yet.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse !

Well no actually. Theists are the ones claim things about their religion. You claim God exists. You claim God is the creator of the universe, source of all morality, punisher of sin etc. You claim Jesus was his son, who came to Earth, died and rose again.

You claim all these things. If you wish that I, or others like me, believe these things as true you need to present better arguments than the ones you have so far.

All I have to do is point out that you haven't done that so far. Reasonable people will reject what theists haven't been able to support, which is why post-Enlightenment religion is slowly but surely on the way out of the Western world.

All you can do is watching the boat sail by and complain about how the modern world (ie logical and reasoned thinking) is leading us all into the depths of immorality and sin :)

Well there is an acceptable level of non-influence where I can stop caring about theists, which I'm imagining we hit long before there are no theists left.

You just have to look at how the Catholic Church went from huge influence to not all that much influence in Ireland in the space of only 50 years.

To paraphrase Lincoln "Theism, its done sir"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Yet over 84% of people claimed to be Catholic in the census. Those crazy Catholics ticking that box, they don't know what their doing exercising their right to self definition ;)

lmaopml wrote: »
    Yet over 84% of people claimed to be Catholic in the census. Those crazy Catholics ticking that box, they don't know what their doing exercising their right to self definition ;)

Lol, you think those people are actual believers, do you?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1130/1224327302533.html
    "More than one in five Irish Catholics do not believe in the resurrection of Jesus or that God created the universe, according to the Ipsos MRBI 50th anniversary poll.

It found also that 7 per cent of Irish Catholics do not even believe in God.

When it comes to making serious moral decisions, more than three-quarters (78 per cent) of Irish Catholics follow their own conscience rather than church teaching (17 per cent). Almost half of Irish Catholics (45 per cent) do not believe in Hell while almost a fifth (18 per cent) do not believe that God created man."

Heck even all my atheist friends put down "Catholic" in the census because they thought they were being asked what they were baptized. None of them are believers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Don't forget the numerous cases of Mammy filling in the census form for their kids, too. ;)

• Advertisement

Lol, you think those people are actual believers, do you?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1130/1224327302533.html
    "More than one in five Irish Catholics do not believe in the resurrection of Jesus or that God created the universe, according to the Ipsos MRBI 50th anniversary poll.

It found also that 7 per cent of Irish Catholics do not even believe in God.

When it comes to making serious moral decisions, more than three-quarters (78 per cent) of Irish Catholics follow their own conscience rather than church teaching (17 per cent). Almost half of Irish Catholics (45 per cent) do not believe in Hell while almost a fifth (18 per cent) do not believe that God created man."

Heck even all my atheist friends put down "Catholic" in the census because they thought they were being asked what they were baptized. None of them are believers.

I have some sympathy with you Zombrex when you see people filling out the census form in a silly way - however, Atheist Ireland did do their best to run a campaign prior to the census, and apparently even all of your very own friends must not have heard of it or understood it properly....or else didn't really think of it's relevance. That's people for you! I wouldn't be too rash in calling down the stupid gene on them though - they may have their very own reasons for the selection.

As far as being a 'Catholic' is concerned there are many ways in which people may ( and they are quite entitled to ) say they are indeed a Catholic, even 'if' they find that they are not always perfectly following her teachings. Also, the Church while she may stipulate Gospel values and never stray from proclaiming them to say 'right is wrong or wrong is right' no matter how much pressure. In fairness, thinking logically about it, she doesn't seem to be too willing to compromise the message even if the numbers diminish to very little - she could, but she doesn't. Neither does the church proclaim anybody 'saved' or indeed not 'saved' right here right now - I don't know if you are familiar with the Parable of the Weeds? It's kind of how the Church sees itself as a community of just 'people' at the end of the day. I myself drifted for many years ( almost twenty ) and came back again to the Church. I considered myself still Catholic ( perhaps Catholic Agnostic pml ) during that time however and not atheist.

I think it's a crying shame that atheist see themselves as 'against' people who claim to be Catholic, because they think they will be discriminated against by the State in something like grants for schools etc.

In my honest opinion, most Catholics would be more than willing to help out minority groups in any community to settle in and to indeed have the resources available to them. In very many cases, the atheists don't even ask the local community for support though - they make a presumption - and tend to stick in groups. We're not all against minority groups having access to schools with a multidenom ethos.
    Don't forget the numerous cases of Mammy filling in the census form for their kids, too. ;)

One thing is for sure Papa, we all have mammies, even the atheists ;)

Well no actually. Theists are the ones claim things about their religion.

Theism is not a synonym for religion. Not all theists subscribe to religion. Beside, not all religions are theistic in nature.
    You claim God exists. You claim God is the creator of the universe, source of all morality, punisher of sin etc. You claim Jesus was his son, who came to Earth, died and rose again.

You claim all these things. If you wish that I, or others like me, believe these things as true you need to present better arguments than the ones you have so far.

Yes, I claim that God exists. That you don't find any argument for God's existence to be compelling is most unfortunate. More so because I also believe that your choice has consequences beyond what you put on the census. But the thing is, Zombrex, I don't have to convince you. Indeed, if you have thus far rejected all arguments for the existence of God then I think it's highly unlikely that any argument will move you.

Now, back on to the point of my post because I no longer have the stamina for running down rabbit trails. You said, "I'll stop caring about theism when theists stop trying to arrange the world based on their made up notions". Rather then dismiss theistic claims as made up notions you will have to demonstrate the truth of this assertion, especially if you happen to be making it in the midst of believers. And part of this process involves promoting your worldview as the correct one, not merely denigrating theistic beliefs. Happily the atheist as much as the theist has to make a case for their worldview. It's a marketplace of ideas out there.
    marienbad wrote: »
    Talk about putting the cart before the horse !

Not quite. If you or anyone else wants to promote atheism then you are going to have to actively engage in the process of divesting the majority of the human race of their supernatural beliefs. Try looking at it from the side of those who don't presuppose that atheism is the correct worldview. Saying "it's made up" wont cut the mustard.

Anywho, I'm out of this debate for now.

Theism is not a synonym for religion. Not all theists subscribe to religion.
    Most do, and this is the Christianity forum after all.

(and before you say it, believing "only" in the Bible and Jesus is still a religion)
    Yes, I claim that God exists. That you don't find any argument for God's existence to be compelling is most unfortunate. More so because I also believe that your choice has consequences beyond what you put on the census. But the thing is, Zombrex, I don't have to convince you. Indeed, if you have thus far rejected all arguments for the existence of God then I think it's highly unlikely that any argument will move you.

Now, back on to the point of my post because I no longer have the stamina for running down rabbit trails. You said, "I'll stop caring about theism when theists stop trying to arrange the world based on their made up notions". Rather then dismiss theistic claims as made up notions you will have to demonstrate the truth of this assertion, especially if you happen to be making it in the midst of believers.

Again it is the other way around. I just have to point out the problems with your claims. Most people can understand the concept of an unsupported claim, and realise that if a claim is not supported it is not worth believing in.

Theism (and religion) have had a free ride of this for a long while, so people are not used to just sitting back and thinking "Umm, this stuff is nonsense". But the more atheists make this simple point, the more theism and religion crumble.
    Not quite. If you or anyone else wants to promote atheism then you are going to have to actively engage in the process of divesting the majority of the human race of their supernatural beliefs. Try looking at it from the side of those who don't presuppose that atheism is the correct worldview. Saying "it's made up" wont cut the mustard.

I don't say its made up. I say "How do you support your view".

The world is made up of 3 types of people, those who believe because they haven't thought about it, those who believe have thought about it but because they believe dismissed the problems with supporting their beliefs, and those that don't believe.

1 and 3 are the targets of atheism. 2, well they just have to be left to their own until hopefully they realize the problems are actual problems that cannot be squared.

I have some sympathy with you Zombrex when you see people filling out the census form in a silly way - however, Atheist Ireland did do their best to run a campaign prior to the census, and apparently even all of your very own friends must not have heard of it or understood it properly....or else didn't really think of it's relevance. That's people for you!

I think it is more a reflection that Atheism Ireland doesn't have the deep pockets and centuries of cultural influence that the Catholic Church have. Maybe AI should tell people it is their moral duty to donate to them :P
    I wouldn't be too rash in calling down the stupid gene on them though - they may have their very own reasons for the selection.

They did have reasons, they told me. They said "Oh we thought that was asking what you were baptized"

Its interesting that while atheist and humanists groups keep pointing out that no that isn't what is being asked, Catholic groups seem rather quiet on the subject...
    As far as being a 'Catholic' is concerned there are many ways in which people may ( and they are quite entitled to ) say they are indeed a Catholic, even 'if' they find that they are not always perfectly following her teachings.

Well we are talking about belief aren't we, rather than adherence to dogma.
    In my honest opinion, most Catholics would be more than willing to help out minority groups in any community to settle in and to indeed have the resources available to them. In very many cases, the atheists don't even ask the local community for support though - they make a presumption - and tend to stick in groups. We're not all against minority groups having access to schools with a multidenom ethos.

I think you are confusing atheists with non-nationals there Imaopml? I've no idea what you are talking about. I went to an Educate Together school that was set up by the local community, as most of them are.

The census has never matched up with actual polls.

I do find it amusing though that some pretend that they care not about numbers but about adhering to the "true" teachings of the religion and not compromising with beliefs just to boost numbers, but then get super defensive about the eroding numbers of believers.

While they may like to pretend that their faith is rationally arrived at, the old saying "safety in numbers" certainly seems to ring through. Don't have to think too hard about our beliefs if we are surrounded by others who also believe. Sure they can't all be wrong, right!

Atheism is a statement about theists .......

I think you are confusing atheists with non-nationals there Imaopml? I've no idea what you are talking about. I went to an Educate Together school that was set up by the local community, as most of them are.

All I have to do is point out that you haven't done that so far. Reasonable people will reject what theists haven't been able to support, which is why post-Enlightenment religion is slowly but surely on the way out of the Western world.

All you can do is watching the boat sail by and complain about how the modern world (ie logical and reasoned thinking) is leading us all into the depths of immorality and sin :)

Well there is an acceptable level of non-influence where I can stop caring about theists...........

To paraphrase Lincoln "Theism, its done sir"

I think it is more a reflection that Atheism Ireland doesn't have the deep pockets and centuries of cultural influence that the Catholic Church have. Maybe AI should tell people it is their moral duty to donate to them :P

They did have reasons, they told me. They said "Oh we thought that was asking what you were baptized"

Its interesting that while atheist and humanists groups keep pointing out that no that isn't what is being asked, Catholic groups seem rather quiet on the subject...

The census has never matched up with actual polls.
    I do find it amusing though that some pretend that they care not about numbers but about adhering to the "true" teachings of the religion and not compromising with beliefs just to boost numbers, but then get super defensive about the eroding numbers of believers.

While they may like to pretend that their faith is rationally arrived at, the old saying "safety in numbers" certainly seems to ring through. Don't have to think too hard about our beliefs if we are surrounded by others who also believe. Sure they can't all be wrong, right!

I'll tell you what I find amusing. I find it amusing that according to yourself, your mission is to stop theists, 'arranging your world' and then go on to say that in fact the local community set up an ET school in your area with little or no problems apparently. It sounds more to me like some atheists are more than keyboard warriors ;)

Also, it's very amusing that you maintain there are three types of 'believers' and then go on to classify all of your very own friends as kind of daft enough to sign Catholic on the census when they aren't, especially considering they have your good self as their friend to help show them the way - In fact, according to you most people shouldn't really classify themselves at all because apparently they haven't got the wit to do so....

Then you maintain that most people only believe or tick a census because of the 'safe numbers' (which is really taking the piss tbh) and at the same time just prior to that you yourself make the claims that theism is dying out since the enlightened such as yourself came along to enlighten us without a damn bit of proof - amazing!

Very many contradictions there Zombrex, very little substance.

I'll tell you what I find amusing. I find it amusing that according to yourself, your mission is to stop theists, 'arranging your world' and then go on to say that in fact the local community set up an ET school in your area with little or no problems apparently.

Who said they had "little or no problems". They had a ton of problems, including objections from Catholics (real ones) that the school would be a deny of immorality.

My point was that these parents were not some sort of foreigners begging the "local community" for help. They were the local community.
    It sounds more to me like some atheists are more than keyboard warriors ;)

True, after all we have abortion and gay marriage in this country for decades ... oh wait
    Also, it's very amusing that you maintain there are three types of 'believers' and then go on to classify all of your very own friends as kind of daft enough to sign Catholic on the census when they aren't, especially considering they have your good self as their friend to help show them the way - In fact, according to you most people shouldn't really classify themselves at all because apparently they haven't got the wit to do so....

You keep insisting that my friends are stupid? Why? My friends were duped by the engrained cultural bias towards Catholicism, based on centuries of Catholic influence in this country. They didn't believe they were true believers, they believed the government was looking for how they were baptized.
    Then you maintain that most people only believe or tick a census because of the 'safe numbers' (which is really taking the piss tbh) and at the same time just prior to that you yourself make the claims that theism is dying out since the enlightened such as yourself came along to enlighten us without a damn bit of proof - amazing!

What are you talking about?

I said that theists feel safety in numbers, because it means they don't have to critically evaluate their own beliefs, they can just say well all these other theists believe too so it must be reasonable.

Which is why theists such as yourself pretend you don't care about numbers, you care about "truth", but then go out of your way to try and show that actually the numbers are on your side.

You need this other believers, because if you ever find yourself alone with just your own justifications for your belief, well then you are in trouble.

Most do, and this is the Christianity forum after all.

(and before you say it, believing "only" in the Bible and Jesus is still a religion)

I wasn't actually going to say anything of the sort. But it does raise an interesting question about how we define religion. As far as I am aware religion is much broader then holding a series of beliefs about your supernatural being of choice. That's why one can be a religious atheist.
    Again it is the other way around. I just have to point out the problems with your claims. Most people can understand the concept of an unsupported claim, and realise that if a claim is not supported it is not worth believing in.

You can of course offer a critique of what you see as the weakness of any claim Christians have to make. Indeed, the majority of you sizable post count on this forum has been givewn over to this. But even if your criticisms are valid and Christianity fails this is not enought to say that atheism is true.

But the thing is all this cuts both ways. Atheism is not above critique. I'm not sure if you just failed to mention this or if you are genuinely unaware of it. You hold a worldview just like the Christian, Muslim, Scientologist, agnostic and all the rest of them. Atheism isn't special. It don't get a free pass. If atheism is true then this means a great deal about the universe we inhabit.
    Theism (and religion) have had a free ride of this for a long while, so people are not used to just sitting back and thinking "Umm, this stuff is nonsense". But the more atheists make this simple point, the more theism and religion crumble.

Good for you. But this isn't an argument.
    I don't say its made up. I say "How do you support your view".

I never said you did. Please note that I was not replying to you.
    The world is made up of 3 types of people, those who believe because they haven't thought about it, those who believe have thought about it but because they believe dismissed the problems with supporting their beliefs, and those that don't believe.

1 and 3 are the targets of atheism. 2, well they just have to be left to their own until hopefully they realize the problems are actual problems that cannot be squared.

You are just offering absurd one-dimensional caricatures now. The world is not made up of 3 types of people.

Leaving aside from the lazy caricatures, what you wrote above doesn't make sense. Perhaps a formatting error?

I said that theists feel safety in numbers, because it means they don't have to critically evaluate their own beliefs, they can just say well all these other theists believe too so it must be reasonable.

Which is why theists such as yourself pretend you don't care about numbers, you care about "truth", but then go out of your way to try and show that actually the numbers are on your side.

You need this other believers, because if you ever find yourself alone with just your own justifications for your belief, well then you are in trouble.

I think we actually all care about numbers. Indeed, I believe you where the first to mention numbers. The more people think like us the more validated we feel. It says nothing about truth though.

Are you stating that atheists are somehow different? Why do you think this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Leaving faith aside, what is the most convincing argument that theists have for the existence of God ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement